0 (0%)
Retro Gaming
6 (75%)
Can't choose!
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 04, 2011, 14:53:54 PM

DEADDOLL666

I was thinking earlier about how you can still pick up a nes,snes,master system,atari etc and they will still work and you'll be able to play on them for hours with no problems.But in 15+years what's the chance of finding a xbox 360 or a ps3 that is still in good working condition.
I think console developers need to look back and think about how a console back then was a console and that was it.Fair enought online gaming is a brilliant idea and make gaming more fun but do we really need them to play dvd's and do other home media things.
I never use my 360 to listen to music or watch dvd's and same with my ps3 (apart from the odd blu-ray) as i know doing it will shorten the life of the console due to over heating.

zapiy

That's a good point fella and I am probably like you. I use my PS3 & Xbox for gaming 99% of the time. Again like you, it's for the long term surveil of the system thats in my mind. But I look at what i have done to some of my old systems over the years and they still work.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Anonymous

I definatly agree! I said this before- but it's got to be because of all the stuffs they put into new consoles there's just more that can go wrong with them really! But to be honest in 15 years time I can't honestly say if I'd want to buy a 360 ( partly because they don't interest me now) they just don't have the same charm about them as current day retro! To me most games which are released now I wouldent dub a classic! This could be because of my age I suppose the retro ad we know it have connotations to our childhoods and youth that's probs why I find retro of today so enchanting! I do however see both consoles becoming a classic in the future especially the 360! I just feel sorry for younger people who when they get older and start wanting to get back into retro and want to buy 360s and ps3 there just won't be any! Quite sad really!
I think DS and possibly the WII standing the test of time which once again means nitendo win :D :p
Give me a SNES or sega master system over a ps3 and 360 any day!

DEADDOLL666

The other main thing about retro console's is most are cartridge based systems and they were pretty indestructible.If it did'nt load just a quick dust off by blowing along the base and it'd load.where as disk type media has scratch issues and burnt out or dusty laser's.
There must be a way of reinventing the cartridge as you can get 16gb+ pen drive's also i think it would cause less heat damage to a console as it would use less power to read from them.
Also i can see myself in 15 years striking back up the ps3 or 360  as it's not just the console that become's a retro obsession but the game's that you remember playing.
like nes/snes with mario.sega with sonic and i think game's like halo,gta,metal gear solid will be something that you'll always want to go back and have a play on.

Anonymous

Personally is run a mile from those games! But I can certainly see otter people wanting to play halo in a fair few years time! But part of the reason I love retro games is because of the fact it's 2d and how cartoon like pixely some of these games are the strange obscure sounds which come from them! It's apart of the charm and it honestly reminds me of being a kid and it does act as an escape from reality and to me that's what video gaming is about! It's great that the gaming is advancing nicely and the graphics and sound quality etc is becoming realistic BUT to me I I wanted that'll watch a film I just don't get as into it! There's not the same charm to me! Think that's why I really like nitendo it still maintains the child like qualities to it!
I agree that the USB would be a better choice of medium rather than CD ! I dont know why they haven't considered it as part of the development of consoles? It would not only benifit the preservation of consoles and the games but it would also be a space saver which is major issue with most house holds these days! But there is a risk as there is with all things but less than a cd!

zapiy

I think usb access times and the nature of them getting corrupt it not taken out properly has something to do we it, having said that I have heard a rumour that the wii2 will be SSD or some other form of cartridge type memory. 

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Anonymous

That will be interesting to see if they do use it and how the will develop!

Anonymous

Very true , mabye , we need to go back to carts :) That would b awesome for retro gamers! But it would have to be new advanced carts.

zapiy

Yeah I look forward to finding out either way. But as you say they need to be much more advanced mainly size wise i guess.

DEADDOLL666

i think the only thing about going back to cartridges is the cost.
Game's cost £30-£45 for a disk which probley would cost's them about 10p(most likely less)
and i would say it would cost them alot more for them to make a cartridge for each game.
So the price's would go up for us to buy a game.

Anonymous

I don't think size would be an issue though if like dd said about using USB sticks or something Like that possibly? I don't think USB really costs that much to make! As you know when you buy a game a majority of the money is going to the production - data writing onto the cd the team which made the game packaging and tax and ofcourse store profit along with game companies profit!

Anonymous

I have to disagree. Failure rates have nothing to do with disc vs carts...
Neither does stuff like online, or DVD playback affect the console,
Only games utilize the full power of modern consoles, and the e problem is the more advances the CPU and GPU are, the hotter they get, which means adding fans, and the unfortunate truth is affordable effective cooling isn't advancing as fast as processing technologies. Also my Xbox 360 is fine, as long as you don't let it get too dustly or leave it turned on somewhere with no ventilation they are pretty Hardy consoles....
I'd use more detail but on my phone right now xD

Anonymous

No we were just saying that the cd is bad for the preservation of games not the consoles because they are more likely to get scratched x

Anonymous

Quote from: "greenpixie"I definatly agree! I said this before- but it's got to be because of all the stuffs they put into new consoles there's just more that can go wrong with them really!

looks like you mean extra stuff - as in dvd playback, BR playback and online features etcetc.

and discs dont get scratched that easily if you're careful,
saying that, many many people bring games into the shop that look like they've been dragged behind the car on the way here!

Anything other than disc is very costly in comparison, the cost will get passed onto the consumer, or the devs won't develop games...

Digital distributions an alternative, but hopefully won't ever replace physical media.
(also - xbox 360's and ps3's both allow installation of the game to a Harddrive. the disc needs to be in the tray to play the game, but it just reads it to make sure you own the game, and then the disc doesnt move [based on my experience installing stuff like mass effect to HDD)

Anonymous

Quote from: "TomWantsRez"
Quote from: "greenpixie"I definatly agree! I said this before- but it's got to be because of all the stuffs they put into new consoles there's just more that can go wrong with them really!

and discs dont get scratched that easily if you're careful,
saying that, many many people bring games into the shop that look like they've been dragged behind the car on the way here!

HAHAHA thats exactally it! I am shocked at the state some people manage to get their disks into, I am so presiouse with my stuff I hate the thaught of not looking after things, and honestly cannot phantom how people manage it!
Unfortunatly not everyone is as careful with looking after their games as some!