Let's Compare Mr. Heli

Started by TrekMD, August 07, 2014, 18:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Mr. Heli (a.k.a. Battle Chopper in NA) is a 1987 horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up arcade game created by  Irem.  In the game, the player controls a wacky fighter helicopter (the titular Mr. Heli) while shooting enemies, collecting power-ups, and defeating bosses to advance levels.  The game was ported mainly to home computers (with the PC Engine being the only console release).  I had never heard of this game until I saw this video.  It does look fun.  Here is the comparison video...

[align=center:35rs2hm7]Let's Compare ( Mr. Heli )[/align:35rs2hm7]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Sokurah

For some reason I always liked this game. Originally on the Spectrum and later the arcade game too.

However, Masterhacker Ralf from the World of Spectrum has made a graphical hack of it. As it turns out the graphics in the Spectrum version seems to be very sloppily auto-converted from the Amstrad ones, and he's redrawn the graphics so it now looks a lot better.

Take a look here at his mod: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47172

Comparison:  (new graphics on top, old graphics below);
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

onthinice

Spectrum graphics mod is a big improvement.

Never heard of the game either. Reminds me of Super Cobra only enhanced. Nice find, TrekMD!

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"Spectrum graphics mod is a big improvement.

Never heard of the game either. Reminds me of Super Cobra only enhanced. Nice find, TrekMD!

I can't take the credit.  Let's thank the folks from Gaming History Source.  ;)

onthinice

Oops, better not forget Irem for making a good game. Funny I used to hunt down Irem games on the NES.

zapiy

This is another fantastic little game. Going to checkout that WOS conversion also.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

I've never tried this game before but it looks really good. Also reminds me that I really need to get an adapter so that I can play PC Engine games on my TurboGrafx 16!

Greyfox

Although I never played the Arcade Version I remember when this arrived on the Atari ST and was programmed by my programming Hero Jim Baguley, with allot of Atari ST Conversions, they always put them in much smaller windows I presumed to speed up the games frame rate, but I thought it was a great little game. see what you think?

and if very much worth checking out, via real hardware or emulation :)

TrekMD

I've never played this game and I didn't even know it existed until I saw the video!

Carlos

I have my zx set back up, I am going to give this one a whirl.

zapiy

You know what guys, i think we have foun a stalemate... All of these look great to me..  :21:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I bought an adapter to play PC Engine games on my Turbografx 16, and this was the first game I bought to play on it. It should be here soon and I'm really looking forward to playing it  :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I mentioned this elsewhere, but I bought an adapter to play PC Engine games on my Turbografx 16, and this was the first game I bought to play on it. It should be here soon and I'm really looking forward to playing it  :)

zapiy

Whats this adapater look like fella?

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "zapiy"Whats this adapater look like fella?

Here's the website of the company that makes them http://www.db-elec.com/home/products/pc-engine-to-turbografx16-converter Pretty cool to see some retro goodies coming out of Canada for a change  :)

They don't actually sell them on their site but you can buy them on ebay and also Retro Towers, who has their add on the front page here, sells them too for you guys in the UK. They're a little pricey, but if you look at the price difference between PCE and TG16 games it's totally worth it! Plus there's a ton of PCE games that never came to the west.