Sad day for RVG

Started by zapiy, July 19, 2014, 21:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Today Kieren aka The Laird has left RVG..

The reasons i think some of you will know and others will find out.. Probably partly my fault and i am sorry for that.. Kieren has been a huge part of making RVG what it is today and that must never be forgotten. I know i won't.

Sadly Kieren has asked for all his reviews to be removed so read them whilst you can.

Good luck and you know where we are fella.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Sorry to hear this news, indeed you and the Laird built this great little community yourselfs, and its a nice and mostly! calm relaxed place to chat compared to alot of other forums and the like.

I dont personally know the reason, but whatever it is, lack of time or whatever, do come back and keep in touch.

Jay
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Just a quick one before I go completely, I just want to cover a few points:

- Firstly it was my choice to leave, purely personal reasons.

- I will not be coming back and will no longer be contributing to RVG in any capacity.

- I would like to thank everyone for their support over the years

Cheers

Kieren

Greyfox

Although we've had our differences in the past and sorted them out, well I'd hope we did, laird was a great link in the working of RVG and like allot of us brought unique and great things to the community to share with you all, but sometimes things change and people out grow sites or feel no longer able to fit in they way they once did, either way, I wish Kieren the best of luck in both his professional enderviours and personal Heath and truly finds what he's looking for out there.

Cheers Kieren :113:

Darren.

64bitRuss

That sucks, I enjoy his posts and his enthusiasm for Atari. I have never had any problems with Laird at any forum, I wish him well.

Shadowrunner

Sorry to see this, take care Kieren.

TrekMD

Sad day indeed.  A big loss to the forum.  I wish you the very best, Kieren. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

wyldephang

I'm new to the community.  Nevertheless, Laird was one of the first people I recognized upon joining the forum (from reading his reviews), so it's unfortunate I couldn't get to know him better.  Good luck wherever you go from here and thanks for putting so much time and energy into the site.
- Ryan

davyk

This is a pity. Actually its more than that. I know there are others who work hard to keep this place going but Laird was kind of the soul of this place. His enthusiasm knows no bounds.

yeah he didn't appear to like NES and SNES - but he wasn't "anti" - he helped me with SNES reviews. - If a Nintard like me can put up with occasional knocks at NES and SNES games then anyone can - we all have our preferences - no big deal.

What is a big deal is that he has gone. I'd like to think he will reflect and return. I like to think he likes retro gaming too much. Maybe come back and take less on - I can't imagine anyone wouldn't like to see a return after a sabbatical. If I have learned one thing in life (at 48) it is never to say never.

The retro community can be pretty barbed and it takes a lot to not get annoyed at comments from trolls and moaners who don't make a contribution as he does. They are sitting in the cheap seats and aren't worth getting annoyed at.

I hope you're lurking and read this. Come on back when the time is right.

Sokurah

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. Kieren really was a big part of the identity of this place.

Take care and all the best in the future.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

Greyfox

Wish you every success with it :) new horizons etc..

bogstandard

Well, that sucks.  The other big forum painted him in very unattractive colors.  I was hoping to appreciate him and his work as it really is.  I hope time heals and he reconsiders the request to pull his reviews.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "theloon"Well, that sucks.  The other big forum painted him in very unattractive colors.  I was hoping to appreciate him and his work as it really is.  I hope time heals and he reconsiders the request to pull his reviews.

Depends, on the one hand he's written them and so could be regarded as his. On the other, they are hosted on RVG servers so could be regarded as RVGs.

Personally, to prevent any feeling of ill will and not to put RVG in a poor light I'd say take them down but its not up to me.

SnakeEyes

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"
Quote from: "theloon"Well, that sucks.  The other big forum painted him in very unattractive colors.  I was hoping to appreciate him and his work as it really is.  I hope time heals and he reconsiders the request to pull his reviews.

Depends, on the one hand he's written them and so could be regarded as his. On the other, they are hosted on RVG servers so could be regarded as RVGs.

Personally, to prevent any feeling of ill will and not to put RVG in a poor light I'd say take them down but its not up to me.

Has he really done that. Sorry but that in my honest opinion is extremely childish and petty. I got my last comment pulled from this thread but I hope this is allowed to stay as it is relevant to the discussion and is in response to a comment made.

Greyfox

We have respect the wishes on this, as Zapiy mentioned in the first post that Kieren Hawken asked for his reviews to be withdrawn and its been respected because of his contribution here good or bad, we felt obligated to allow him to graceful take them away with him, personally I found it incredibly petty and childish, but as a global moderator, moderators and Admin, we have to remain a professional outlook and respect all those involved.