RVG Interviews Watermelon

Started by zapiy, July 14, 2014, 19:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

[align=center:17d08xwm]

[size=120]RVG brings you our latest interview with Watermelon.

WaterMelon - an international video game company making retro games with style. We were established in 2004 when they began working on their first game - Pier Solar and the Great Architects.

Pier Solar and the Great Architects is a Mega Drive/Genesis game that began its life back in 2004 on an internet forum. The game started as a homebrew mini-game but evolved into the biggest 16-BIT game ever, and shows many unseen features on the Mega Drive/Genesis hardware more than 10 years after the last original Mega Drive/Genesis release.

I would like to thank Gisele and all the other contributers at WaterMelon for taking the time to do this interview with us.

Enjoy
[/size]

[size=240]Watermelon Website[/size][/align:17d08xwm]

zapiy

Tell us about how the company was formed?

WaterMelon

The company's activities started in 2004 without an actual business office, when Pier Solar was under early development stages. Tulio Gonçalves and Gwénaël Godde both worked at WaterMelon as a second job for quite some time with Gwénaël eventually becoming full time in 2010, but after the success in Kickstarter, the office environment became necessary in 2012 with both partners becoming full time dedicated to WaterMelon. WM was established in 2009 by Tulio, the President, and Gwenael, co-founder and Art Director of our company. Their mutual interest in retro games and game development casually brought them together back in 2004 when they met at a retro game message board. Along with other Sega fans, the idea of creating a brand new game for Megadrive/ Sega Genesis was unavoidable and obviously exciting. Tulio has an extended background in software programing, he has worked for various multinational corporations in the past, and Gwenael has an outstanding curriculum in Graphical Arts, designs, and programing as well. Clients include: LVMH, Veolia, Bouygues, Sony Pictures.

zapiy

For those that may not know about you, can you list all the games you have released and those in the pipeline?

WaterMelon

We have released the 16-bit R.P.G. Pier Solar and the Great Architects for the Sega Genesis – and we will have the fourth batch of Reprints coming out this year; we are about to release Pier Solar and the Great Architects in HD (for modern platforms – Wii U, PS4, PS3, Dreamcast, PC, MAC, Linux, Xbox 360, OUYA, Android) this year, Project N (a brand new Action Adverture game for SNES); Project Y (a brand new Beat'em Up for Sega Genesis); and two more big secret projects to be announced soon (but we can guarantee you, they're both incredibly exciting!).

Shadowrunner

You have three games that I know of in the works. The HD and Dreamcast versions of Pier Solar, Project Y and Project N. How is the development going and do you have any idea when they might be finished?

WaterMelon

We're facing the final stages of development for Pier Solar HD. It's been a great challenge for us as a team and as a company. We plan on release PSHD by April, which is really exciting. It's been an awesome experience to be able to work with all of the huge companies such as Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. We've been able to understand the game market from a completely new point of view, and we're very proud of how far we've come. As for Projects N and Y, we're still under development. The goal is to have both games ready to release this year.

When will Project Y and N be given real names?

WaterMelon

Actually, we do have a few ideas and we're hopefully going to decide on the names before the release day. Ha!

TrekMD

Where did the idea for Pier Solar originate?

WaterMelon

It all started a long time ago at the online forum (message board) Tavern RPG, where Sega Genesis addicts (including Gwénael and I) used to get together and share their experiences and nostalgia about the classic 16-bit RPGs. Overtime we talked about our dream to make our very own RPG for the Genesis. Many gamers have that dream, but our group was driven to accomplish it. And that's how it all started. Our first idea was to make an RPG where each character would be named after the Tavern members participating into the project. We've had the story and some drafts of concept characters made. Our goal was to produce enough cartridges for the Tavern members only. However, the story was spread, and suddenly more and more people started to ask about this potential "new Genesis RPG game", and that's when we decided to invest real time and money to make that game happen. Little by little the game story started to flow in different directions, and we came up with the first Pier Solar plot. The rest is history...

TrekMD

What would you say was the most challenging aspect of making Pier Solar for the Genesis/MD?

WaterMelon

It took us about one year of hit and miss to get a stable file load on Mega-CD, because there was no documentation and he didn't hack any existing code. But doing Mega Drive programming was much easier since the system is a strong and simple hardware. It is sure that releasing a full packaging with cartridge cost certainly more than 10 times the cost of a regular DVD release. However, it's part of the idea of releasing retro games, it has to be a full release in physical format! We had to develop all the manufacturing process from the ground up for Pier Solar, from the plastic parts down to the screws. Now we use the same process for our next releases so it's a bit of a relief!

TrekMD

Are there plans to re-release the OST?

WaterMelon

The OST is going to be available for sale along with the other Pier Solar and Pier Solar HD products, so yes, it's only a matter of time.

TrekMD

You currently develop games for the SNES, Dreamcast, and Genesis/MD.  Any plans for game development for other retro systems?

WaterMelon

Currently we do not have any plans to include other retro systems into our development.

Shadowrunner

There's an Easter Egg in Pier Solar that you can only find if the game is played with the Sega 32X adapter plugged in. Have you ever thought about doing a 32X game, or even an enhanced 32X version of one of your games?

WaterMelon

Yes, we've totally considered this. It was impossible to port Pier Solar to 32X because the original game cannot support the 32X as well in one cartridge, however, in terms of making a specific game for 32X yes. But there are so many technical difficulties that just like the Sega CD, we had to abandon that plan. At this moment there isn't any plans for developing a game for the 32X.

The Laird

It clearly looks like Streets of Rage 2 was the inspiration for Project Y, is that the case?

WaterMelon

Yes! Streets of Rage II is one of our biggest inspirations for Project Y, almost a tribute to it.

The Laird

I would love to see you do something for the Lynx or Jaguar! Any chance?

WaterMelon

Honestly, it's all possible in terms of development, but since we don't have any programmers specialized in working with that. However, if there's any one with a game interested in publishing through WaterMelon we can always study this possibility.

The Laird

What do find to be the best system to work on and why?

WaterMelon

In retro systems, the Sega Genesis is the most pleasant console to work with because of its 16bits structure, and also because it is a very powerful system; it always has something else to offer. Its processor architecture is very well designed and easy to work with. For the modern consoles, the most preferable during the adapting process are the PS3 and PS4, because of its similarities to the existing code standards of the original Pier Solar.

The Laird

Who are your own inspirations/heroes in video gaming?

WaterMelon   

Yuji Naka, definitely because of his ability to create; Yu Suzuki, for the same reason; Yuzo Koshiro, because not only he's a great composer, he's an excellent programmer. Yasunori Mitsuda, also a great composer that made Chrono Trigger which I consider the best soundtrack of all times. And also Hideo Kojima, which is the creator of one of my favorite games, Snatcher.

The Laird

How did you come up with the name Watermelon?

WaterMelon

The dialogue was pretty much like this:
Gwénael: " – WaterMelon. With the letters W and M capitalized."
Tulio: " – WaterMelon? Why WaterMelon?!"
Gwénael: " – Yeah! Cause it's juicy!"

I don't think I can explain it to you any better than that...

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Another great interview! Thanks to Zapiy and Watermelon for making it happen  :)

zapiy

Glad you enjoyed it, really grateful to them taking part.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Very cool!  I am glad to see there are plans to re-release the OST for Pier Solar! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

While this is not interview material, there have been some changes with Watermelon and an email was sent with details.  I'm posting that here just for reference:

There has been some changes at WaterMelon, I've been waiting to clear all the legal questions before writing up this announcement for you. Tulio Adriano has left WaterMelon some weeks ago, I'm now sole owner of the company. Here are some quick answers to quickly assert the questions about Pier Solar and our other games currently in development:

Are any of the projects going to be cancelled?
No.

Are any of the projects going to suffer extra delays?
No.

Am I going to receive my games?
Yes, of course, this is what we do.

When will I receive my Pier Solar pre-orders?
All games and goodies are completed and ready for shipping, I've personally supervised their manufacturing.
However, due to the late company changes, please bear the extra weeks as we are re-organizing the distribution processes. I hope everyone will receive their goods before end of September 2015.

Hoh, but if Fonzie is in charge of news now, does that mean we wont have any news anymore, at all :) ?
To clarify, the spirit of WM is to deliver the best game possible. WM is a (very, very) small company.
It's a thin line to ensure a un-altered 1990's gaming vibe. To put things into perspective, nowadays, before games are even released, there are: unboxing videos, multiple trailers and screenshots, reviews and previews, even playthrough videos time to time. What's the next step? Let you play the game before it is actually done? Hoh wait!

I'm working, along with our best people, to improve the news and weekly reports but our priority is, and will remain, the games. I'll also resume the work on the tea time videos, which has been long overdue (especially for ProjectN, sorry again to all the investors).

I would like to thank everyone of you for their continued patience and support. Lets not forget the numerous people having worked close or far on any WM games, guide, DVD, OST, goodies, etc. Because without them, there would be no WM. if you have any doubts, please check for the game credits, you will understand it's a lot more than a "a (very, very) small company".

On a side note, as you may know, we are helping homebrewers to release their games on Mega Drive. You can take a look at a potential release here, check it out! http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/bo ... ve-_19025/

For any questions, don't hesitate to contact the support here:  http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/fa ... support_5/

Best Regards!

Gwenael "Fonzie" Godde

zapiy

Cheers pal, that Papa commando game looks fun..

TrekMD

Yes, I followed the topic in AA but didn't get around to posting about it.  I should!

zapiy

Wonder what forced the change of ownership at the top?

I guess that's just how things go sometimes.

TrekMD

Good question with a good answer that I'm sure will stay internal. 

Shadowrunner

It's unfortunate but that's life I guess, good to see the company isn't going away. And yeah, Papa Commando looks great! Hopefully they do release it.