Author Topic: The Evolution of Role-Playing Games  (Read 2953 times)

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
The Evolution of Role-Playing Games
« on: June 25, 2014, 21:46:04 PM »
Genesis of RPGs; computer RPGs[/size][/align:1a20w6fs]

[align=center:1a20w6fs]Early console RPGs[/size][/align:1a20w6fs]

[align=center:1a20w6fs]
[size=80]Sword of Vermilion, Phantasy Star II[/size]

[size=80]Shining Force, Landstalker[/size]
- Ryan

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
Re: The Evolution of Role-Playing Games
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 21:46:28 PM »
[align=center:3joztqie][size=140]The Golden Age[/size][/align:3joztqie]

[align=center:3joztqie]
[size=80]Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, EarthBound[/size]
The PlayStation era
[size=80]Final Fantasy VIII and IX[/size]

[size=80]Xenogears, Chrono Cross[/size]
- Ryan

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 21:47:05 PM »
[align=center:1w17x7a7][size=140]Console RPGs in the early 2000s[/size][/align:1w17x7a7]

[align=center:1w17x7a7]
[size=80]Kingdom Hearts, Tales of Symphonia[/size]
PC RPGs; MMORPGs[/size][/align:1w17x7a7]

[align=center:1w17x7a7]Modern RPGs and beyond[/size][/align:1w17x7a7]

[align=center:1w17x7a7]
- Ryan

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 22:18:18 PM »
Great job putting this all together! I'm a huge RPG fan and have great memories playing a lot of the games you mention  :4:

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 22:37:16 PM »
This is superb, we should add it to the features section on the hub  :77:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 22:39:01 PM »
Impressive, most impressive. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 05:26:40 AM »
Thanks all! Sure, Laird, if you think you could find a place for it, I'd be thrilled to have it featured. :)
- Ryan

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »
Dissenter Alert!

Its a great piece but.... I feel there is too much emphasis on JRPG, and perhaps needs a little some of the lesser known traits and quirks of the genre.

Ill tap something out later but so I dont forget.....

Dont forget the plank vs cannot fail
Space and GTA as a RPG
Solo vs Multi

I'll just leave those there for now, I'll be back later.

Ps Great piece still thoughO0

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 20:12:36 PM »
Dont forget the plank vs cannot fail

Something that modern RPGs often fall foul of and (from forum chatter elsewhere) it can be a big hate is that you cannot fail. Death is not permanent and for many old school and new school fan alike a more harsh experience is asked of the games.

Fallout:NV does have a 'hardcore' mode, and many players combine that with a 'Dead is Dead' playthrough where if you die you have to stop. But it also is unfailable - you can literally kill everyone in the game and a character to move the story along will still always respawn.

I mention the plank as in one old game, no idea on name but it was a school friendly RPG on the BBC Micro, if you entered a certain room without a plank it was game over - I'd like to see that more perhaps.

Space and GTA as a RPG

You should really mention Elite and Frontier Elite 2 (I havent played the later ones), now hang on you say these aren't RPGs. Yes they are! You have no character as such because your ship is the character. And like any RPG it can be upgraded and changed at whim, learning itself new skills and travelling from town to town (universe to universe really) completing tasks and missions. Arguably games like EVEOnline have taken over its mantle but they have morphed far beyond ship based RPGs

Grand Theft Auto is a interesting game to mention here as there are a whole bunch of mods and websites dedicated to using the game as a role play, typically attempting to recreate life in a more realistic way than the game - hold down job, earn a living, crime isnt the focus etc I've never tried it myself as its PC based but I find it fascinating RPG fans will use the games as they want.

Solo vs Multi

Some players, myself included, believe solo play to be the only true way of playing an RPG. I want to be able to create personas, characters and traits for my on screen alter ego and having a human in there with me can be problematic if I am say playing as the 'evil robber guy' and I keep killing/robbing people you want to talk to - playing solo gives you the freedom to play as you like.

I'd add more but there is a bit of gap between FFVII and Fallout 3 in terms of years between RPGs for myself, I was never much of a PC gamer (outside of FPS) although I did dabble a little with Dungeon Siege.

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 00:49:47 AM »
Thank you, Wiggy.  As you can tell, I had to make some important omissions as I wanted to capture the general arc of RPGs in the last three decades, but in a somewhat concise manner.  I feel Zelda, for instance, is one of those games that touches on the surface of the RPG genre, but my history was already becoming verbose and I didn't want to try anyone's patience by making it longer.  Suffice it to say that there is indeed a vast world of RPGs beyond what I was able to mention here, so if anyone feels I missed something, feel free to add it and maybe some pictures as well so we all can benefit from your insight. :)

In addition, I'd recommend checking out games from the following series to get a better idea of the vastness of the genre.  For each game, there's a link to a photo gallery in case you're interested. Harvest Moon, Fable, Mario & Luigi, Ogre Battle, Pokemon, Breath of Fire, Borderlands, Crystalis, Illusion of Gaia, Starflight, Front Mission, Might and Magic, Bahamut Lagoon, SaGa, Rogue, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Persona, The 7th Saga, Shadowrun, Parasite Eve, Lost Odyssey, The World Ends with You, Bard's Tale, Wild Arms, and Valkyrie Profile.
- Ryan

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
No probs!

I'll make no excuses, my last liked JRPG was FFVII, since then I havent really bothered but I have a small collection to get into (Unlimited Saga is First).

I think Fable/Zelda is definitely worth a mention, tricks a lot of people into playing an RPG when they think they're not those games :113:

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 14:51:09 PM »
Quote from: "wyldephang"
In addition, I'd recommend checking out games from the following series to get a better idea of the vastness of the genre.  For each game, there's a link to a photo gallery in case you're interested. Harvest Moon, Fable, Mario & Luigi, Ogre Battle, Pokemon, Breath of Fire, Borderlands, Crystalis, Illusion of Gaia, Starflight, Front Mission, Might and Magic, Bahamut Lagoon, SaGa, Rogue, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Persona, The 7th Saga, Shadowrun, Parasite Eve, Lost Odyssey, The World Ends with You, Bard's Tale, Wild Arms, and Valkyrie Profile.

Nice to see you mention Lost Odyssey. Hands down my favourite JRPG of last gen and it showed that traditional turn based RPGs can still be fun if done right. Shadowrun isn't half bad either  :3:

Offline bogstandard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 14:55:13 PM »
Definitely a well done piece!  Sure beats my summary of RPG evolution:

RPG became  Action/Adventure became First Person Shooter :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk