Let's Compare Super Monaco GP!

Started by TrekMD, June 22, 2014, 15:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Super Monaco GP is an arcade-style Formula One racing game made by Sega and a sequel to the arcade game Monaco GP.  The arcade game consists mostly of one race: the Grand Prix of Monaco. The player must qualify in under 45 seconds in the shortened track in order to race.  The race starts in any position from 3 to 20 depending on the qualification race. This was the first racing game to introduce a rear-view mirror!  So, how do the home versions compare?  Let's check them out...

[align=center:39410qjh]Let's Compare ( Super Monaco GP )[/align:39410qjh]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

Loved this game on the Megadrive back in the day. Now I have a hankering to track down a nice CIB copy of this.

TrekMD

The Genesis/MD version is the best of the bunch but even that version lacks elements of the arcade version. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

AmigaJay

Loved Super Monaco GP! Agree the Megadrive version was the best and spent a good year playing it, the sequel Ayrton Senna wasn't as good, remember being disappointed when it came out.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Strangely I don't ever remember playing this on the home computers, or even seeing it for that matter, the first time I came across it was on either the Mega Drive or Game Gear, can't remember which version I played first.

From watching this video I am actually very impressed with the Amstrad port and the Speccy one looks very good too. The Commodore 64 one though is really ugly and it looks more like you are driving a bike than a F1 car!

All the 16-bit versions are excellent and I do actually own the Mega Drive version.

The SMS/GG version is very different to the arcade game but still a pretty good game, I also have this in my collection.