Chris Heulsbeck - Interview Questions Wanted.

Started by zapiy, May 13, 2014, 21:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

[align=center:ds34jnpz][/align:ds34jnpz]

[align=center:ds34jnpz][size=120]
RVG is pleased to announce our next interview with Chris Heulsbeck.

Chris is one of the most revered and well loved C64 and Amiga musicians of all time, he has written the music for an incredible catalogue of games including titles such as Apidya, R-Type, Jim Power, The Great Giana Sisters and the legendary Turrican series.

Recently Chris released a compilation album called Turrican Soundtrack Anthology, which was Kickstarted and recieved over 200% funding! Check http://www.turricansoundtrack.com/ for more info and a chance to get one of the last units!

Huge thanks to Chris for taking the time to do this interview.

You can follow Chris on twitter at @Chris_Huelsbeck
[/size][/align:ds34jnpz]

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

This is really cool!  Questions...

1.  What inspired you to become a musician for video games?
2.  Is there a preferred genre of games you like to write music for?
3.  You've done amazing work for some great video games.  Is any one of these soundtracks a favorite of yours?
4.  How long does it take to write the music for a video game?  Are you given tight time tables to work within or are you allowed enough time to get it done to your liking?
5.  What is the process like to write music for these games?  For example, are you given a completed game to develop the music for?
6.  Tell us about the project to develop the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Vyothric

I'm sure someone else can put this in the form of a (better) question for me - I'd like to know about Jim Power for the Mega Drive. Were any of the other tracks ever finished? Or is "Mutant Forest" the only one that exists.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Vyothric"I'm sure someone else can put this in the form of a (better) question for me - I'd like to know about Jim Power for the Mega Drive. Were any of the other tracks ever finished? Or is "Mutant Forest" the only one that exists.

- Regarding Jim Power for the Mega Drive, were there any additional tracks finished for the game or is "Mutant Forest" the only one that exists?

zapiy

Great stuff keep them coming and I will add mine shortly.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

wow, will have to look at my notes for some non-norm questions for him :)..especially in his very early days..will have some shortly for him.

TL

Not being a Commodore fan I am not that familiar with his work really and Vyo asked the one question I had in my head.

WiggyDiggyPoo

I love the artwork on the turrican soundtrack release you have done, is it available as a printed CD or (better!) would you consider a poster release of it?

Greyfox

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"I love the artwork on the turrican soundtrack release you have done, is it available as a printed CD or (better!) would you consider a poster release of it?

yes it is a Printed Cd release for the Anthology each disc is different with different artwork , is this what your asking, I don't know about the poster, he may of considered it try here :http://www.turricansoundtrack.com/
[align=center:351gh3xc][/align:351gh3xc]

I have this and have to say it's worth every penny..fantastic stuff.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "Greyfox"
Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"I love the artwork on the turrican soundtrack release you have done, is it available as a printed CD or (better!) would you consider a poster release of it?

yes it is a Printed Cd release for the Anthology each disc is different with different artwork , is this what your asking, I don't know about the poster, he may of considered it try here :http://www.turricansoundtrack.com/
[align=center:3bjkab39][/align:3bjkab39]

I have this and have to say it's worth every penny..fantastic stuff.

Cheers but when looked it only appeared to be a digital download. I'll check again later.....

TrekMD

Don't wait too long.  The CD's are limited in number.  This is the link to the CD's:  http://www.turricansoundtrack.com/tsa-reserve-unit-sale

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "TrekMD"Don't wait too long.  The CD's are limited in number.  This is the link to the CD's:  http://www.turricansoundtrack.com/tsa-reserve-unit-sale

Its beautiful, but I can't afford $99 right now!

I'll have to have a think what I can cut back on this month.....

TrekMD

I'm giving this a bump.  Post your questions...  ;)

zapiy

Last chance to post your questions as I will be sending these over later today.

Cheers.

Ben

I am a HUGE Turrican fan, can't believe I just noticed this.  Anyway, I have a couple of questions to submit:

1. How do you feel about writing music for games today, when consoles rival most consumer grade audio equipment, as opposed to the 80's and early 90's when the hardware posed a real limitation?  Does no longer having to factor in how your tracks sound via MIDI change the writing process, or is this something you have ever had to consider for that matter?

2.  As someone who is regarded as one of (if not the) best Western videogame music composers, are there any Japanese composers who you admire (Yasunori MItsuda, Nobuo Uematsu, etc.)?