Rick Dangerous - New Super Nintendo Homebrew

Started by TL, May 07, 2014, 12:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1jzgw5lz]

[size=140]Rick Dangerous was one of the biggest hits of Core Design on the home computers of the day. It was originally released on the Atari ST and Amiga with versions following for the Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Acorn Archimedes, PC and Commodore 64. In more recent years the game has been converted to several more formats, thanks to the efforts of various homebrew programmers, such as the Mega Drive, Atari 8-bit, Mega CD, Game Boy Advance and Dreamcast. Now, thanks to the guys at Piko Interactive, it is the turn of the Super Nintendo! Right now there is no firm release date but it looks great so far from the recently released video.[/size]

[size=140]The game is largely based on the Indiana Jones movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. Set in 1945, British agent Rick Dangerous travels to the Amazon jungle to search for the lost Goolu tribe. His plane crashes in the jungle, and Rick must escape from the enraged Goolu. When the game starts Rick finds himself in a cave running from a rolling boulder, a famous scene from the Indiana Jones movie. Armed with a pistol and dynamite, Rick must fight hostiles and evade countless traps in three more levels. The second level is set inside a pyramid in Egypt. In level three, Rick must venture to the Nazi stronghold of Schwarzendumpf castle to rescue captured Allied soldiers. The rescued soldiers tell him that the Nazis are planning a missile attack on London. Therefore, in the last level Rick must infiltrate their secret missile base. Rick can jump and climb, and carry a limited amount of dynamite and ammunition for his gun. [/size]

[size=140]The gun is Rick's main means of disposing of enemies, although most traps that can kill Rick can also kill his enemies if used correctly. The dynamite sticks are generally used for puzzle solving, such as by blowing up certain blocks. (Of course, some of them fly towards the explosion, potentially killing Rick in the backfire). Rick is also armed with a pogo stick that allows him to paralyze enemies with split-second timing. Unusually, many of the traps in Rick Dangerous have no visible warning, which means that a player's initial progress through the game can be a nail-biting ordeal of trial and error. [/size]

Rick Dangerous SNES Preview02[/align:1jzgw5lz]

Greyfox

They always seem to go with the first game and ignore the second game, which I thought was allot better and more varied than the first one, Rick has to be one of most famous 16-bit computer titles to be ported to other platforms..will keep an eye on this..but you can't beat the originals :)

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

I've never played a Rick Dangerous game before but it sounds good. Piko's releases are great quality too so I'll be watching for this  :)

AirZonk

I have never heard of Rick Dangerous before, but my interest is piqued. I will check out the Mega CD and Dreamcast versions.

zapiy

Really?? Its one of my all time fav games. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Ivanzx

Probably this looks like the most "advanced" or quality-wise homebrew game for the SNES so far. Looks like the playability from the original is there, the graphics are quite neat, and the durability of the game will be longer than the one from other SNES homebrew games.
Looking forward to seeing this released, and hopefully someone could make a PAL cartridge, as Piko does with the NTSC of their games ;)