reproduction snes boxes and megadrive sleeves, good or bad?

Started by morgon, April 29, 2014, 09:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morgon

since buying the old consoles i use to have and slowly collecting the games to go with consoles i keep seeing more and more of the copy boxes and sleeves. tbh my opinion is thats fine if they dont include the barcode so we as a possible buyer know its not genuine but the ones that do include a barcode and arenear on a perfect match should be banned surely? i ask every seller now if the box or sleeve is a genuine original since reading a article about a seller selling fakes on ebay but due to not stating it was an original and leaving the buyer to assume it was, the seller has no comeback. whats your opinion on these fakes boxes and sleeves? i am not a collector as such and dont buy to sell but you just know someone will use these copy boxes and sleeves and rough them up a bit snd sell as a near mint item.

TrekMD

I've been noticing it more and more that people sell reproductions as if they were original games.  I do agree that reproductions should clearly be identifiable as such.  So, a repro box should not have the UPC and should have either a blank space or even something that says REPRO on the UPC area.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

I am with Trek on this one. Just a defined logo would be fine.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Cryptic33

Agreed. Alas, it seems people will stoop very low to make a buck or two :2:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

Quote from: "Cryptic33"Agreed. Alas, it seems people will stoop very low to make a buck or two :45:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

morgon

Was looking at a snes street fighter 2 looked real good condition and fair price if not a little low. Asked the "power seller" if box was an original or copy as i say to them all there are people selling copy boxes for original box prices but not stating that info. No reply and item removed!?!?! lol whats the saying? actiond speak...bla bla bla

guest5189

I can't really see the point of fake boxes. Even if it was just for display purposes, they are valueless, and iv never even seen any for sale. I still have my snes and my snes games from when I was younger put away in a box in the loft. Simply because the take up so much room. That's why I'm a big fan of emulators. Everything on a hard drive that plays exactly on a pc as it does on a snes.

Cryptic33

Yes, the more people are being ripped off, the more emulation will be the way forward. That, and retro events where genuine traders and enthusiasts can meet up and trade. Online auctions have their merits but, because of the loopholes, they are becoming scary places to buy anything from. Bring back Woolworths I say :38:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

guest5189

Yep, so much fake crap on ebay. Most if it from china, those guys will copy just about anything they think they can make money on, fake weapons for retro figures like thundercats etc is a favorite. Using an emulator and a digital copy of the original box suits me.

morgon

I have a few emulators on pc even a snes usb pad but i dunno i like the whole blowing n sniffing the cart and the low bit graphics and annoying music on the carts lol takes me back to my days of innocence. Check ebay there are about 7 sellers flogging boxes and all but 2 have no barcode so can clearly see its a repro.

guest5189

Ha he, I always keep just a few games for the various consoles I have, just for the nostalgia value, but even if I was to start collecting, there are so many snes and megadrive games it would be nigh on impossible to even get close to competing a collection. I'd like to own all the mega cd games but some of them are going for stupid money now so emulation is the best route. I will check out ebay, I can't believe they are copying boxes now :109:. I will take a look later

morgon

Funny you say about cost. I bought virtua racing on megadrive thinking it was the same as the arcade version but its not so need to get the 32x version i think? £100 For 32x and say £50 for game, think il search for emulator and keep the cash. use to play that game to death in arcades for a pound a ride:)

guest5189

You could use the mame arcade emulator, or fusion emulator to play it on the 32x.

morgon

guest5189

If you download fusion, you will need bios files for the 32x for the region of the game to get the game working. It's easy to research on you tube. Personally iv never bothered with 32x but I have it fully working with mega cd and mega drive.