Sony PlayStation One Discussion Thread

Started by TrekMD, March 19, 2014, 03:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest5130

Quote from: "The Laird"[align=center:xg8ableg]I am really not a fan of the 3D stuff on the PS1, most of it has aged terribly. The is some great 2D stuff though like the first few GTA games and this wonderful Arkanoid clone:[/align:xg8ableg]

Have you tried the Playstation version of Space Invaders? I think it's pretty damn good with boss battles, lots of new aliens and cool power-ups.

Quote from: "Bobinator"There's a lot of good 2D stuff on the PS1, if you know where to look. Maybe not quite as much as the 3D stuff, sure, but there's plenty of variety to be had, either way. If we're picking out stuff that wasn't in that Game Sack video...

Guilty Gear

Been playing this recently and while it's not my favourite 2D fighter by any means, I'm impressed on a technical level. It all plays very well with minimal loading and really trumps most of Capcom's 2D efforts on the console. If only the final two bosses weren't such a nightmare!

TL

Quote from: "Megamixer"Have you tried the Playstation version of Space Invaders? I think it's pretty damn good with boss battles, lots of new aliens and cool power-ups.

No, I only have a few PS1 games. I do have the Saturn version though, but I think it's a different game.

WiggyDiggyPoo

My favourite 2d fighter, now I'm not a fan of beat em ups as a rule as I find them great to watch being played (by good players) but very hard and frustrating myself.

That said, GG is the only fighter Ive played that I was actually good at and able to learn some moves. The series went a bit OTT in later years in terms of moves/combos etc but I found the first one very accessible.

Bobinator

[align=center:35wjoglt]CGRundertow SPACE INVADERS for PlayStation Video Game Review[/align:35wjoglt]

This is Space Invaders on the PS1, which I can confirm is a different game from the Saturn. I haven't actually tried this one that much, but I do remember it being fun. The whole color maching thing is a lot of fun, and makes it feel a lot more... puzzle-y, for lack of a better word.

Man, living in that era where they remade EVERYTHING was kind of awesome, and it's a shame that kind of died by the time the PS2 hit. I remember having Q-Bert and Pong, which were pretty good, and Frogger, which was... kind of frustrating. Yeah, they remade Pong, seriously. Wasn't that bad, as long as you had somebody to play it with.

[align=center:35wjoglt]Classic Game Room - PONG: THE NEXT LEVEL for Playstation review[/align:35wjoglt]

Just goes to show just how far-reaching the library on this thing is, doesn't it? :P

TL

Fixed those links for you again, you keep forgetting to remove the "s" :21:

Bobinator

Quote from: "The Laird"Fixed those links for you again, you keep forgetting to remove the "s" :21:

All right, nobody says you have to keep posting. Just saying. Besides, to be honest, I haven't really seen you explain your reasoning beyond "I don't like the look of the console" and "There are a lot of sequels on this", both of which could be applied to any console ever made.

PS1 Underrated Gem: Apocalypse

Anyway! While we're posting random awesome games, have I mentioned this one yet? This is Apocoloypse, by the guys who would go on to make the Tony Hawk games. It's a fantastic Contra-style game, which, somehow, manages to be much better than the actual Contra games released for the PS1. You're also basically playing as Bruce Willis, which is also a bonus in my book.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Bobinator"Wow, Warhawk actually looks like a lot of fun. I haven't actually played that one, so that might be what I go for next. See, if you look at the video, that's exactly what I'm talking about, that strange little period between the 16-bit and 32-bit eras... where you have 3D graphics and more complicated controls, but you still get stuff like the cheesy FMV cutscenes that you'd see all over something like the Sega CD or 3D. Even if it only lasted for a year or two, I love that kind of era. Disruptor's great for that kind of thing, too. Actually, I heard once it was going to be a 3DO game, and it definately has that kind of feel to it.

Warhawk is a pretty cool game. It was one of the first games I bought for the PS1 and I had a lot of fun with it. They actually made a sequel for the PS3, but it was online multiplayer ony so I never tried it.

Disrupter is another great one, and I bought it because it did indeed start off as a 3DO game! There was a couple 3DO tips, tricks, and reviews books published back in the day, and in the 2nd book there was a small mention of the game and a screenshot I think. I still have the book but haven't looked at it in years and can't remember exactly how much info there was. In any case, being the huge 3DO fan I was and knowing how the game started I had to get it for the PS1 when it came out  :)

Bobinator

See, I really like that. The first couple of years of the PS1 are basically a continuation of what the 3DO was trying to do, before it became its own unique thing. I think Blood Omen was going to hit 3DO, too. I don't have much proof of that, to be entirely honest, but all the use of FMV and the way it streams music AND dialogue off the disc is very... multimedia.

Speaking of Blood Omen, I ought to play Legacy of Kain one of these days. I never played it beyond a demo disc.

...Hey, speaking of which, you know what was the best thing ever? Having your mom take you to the drugstore/chemist/whatever you call it and letting you get the newest issue of PlayStation Magazine. They always had some great demo discs in their issues, and that's how I discovered a LOT of good games.

Classic Game Gems: Official U.S PlayStation Magazine No.14

(Didn't have this one, but it's a good example of what they were like.)

Shadowrunner

Blood Omen is another game I bought early and really enjoyed, until I got completely stuck and couldn't figure out what to do next! This was before I had internet access and couldn't find any info in any magazines at the time so I eventually traded the game in. I really need to buy this game again someday. As far as being started on the 3DO, I've also heard the same story and considering it was developed by Crystal Dynamics ( who made a lot of 3DO games ) I would think it's true.

guest5130

Quote from: "Bobinator"Man, living in that era where they remade EVERYTHING was kind of awesome, and it's a shame that kind of died by the time the PS2 hit. I remember having Q-Bert and Pong, which were pretty good, and Frogger, which was... kind of frustrating. Yeah, they remade Pong, seriously. Wasn't that bad, as long as you had somebody to play it with.

Some of the remakes of arcade games were part of that deal with Hasbro. The Space Invaders one is one of my top PS1 games even though I've not managed to beat the final level where the boss is that big monster off the original cabinet art. Played a lot of co-op back in the day which is really fun but even then we couldn't quite do it. The game also came out on N64, GBC and GBA though I've never actually played those versions to comment. It's called Space Invaders X in Japan.

I also have Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge which is probably very far away from the original game but still a fun curio. The first levels have garden mazes where Frogger has to avoid living lawnmowers with big teeth  :21:

davyk

One of my favourites....known as Kurushi and Kurushi Final in Europe:

I.Q opening to 1st stage

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "davyK"One of my favourites....known as Kurushi and Kurushi Final in Europe:

I.Q opening to 1st stage

Wow not seen that in years, very odd fun game:))

onthinice

I avoided the Playstation when it was new. The price was just to high. Now, wish I had bought one then. Because, I have found it to be a great system with lots of unique titles. 

Bobinator

Quote from: "onthinice"I avoided the Playstation when it was new. The price was just to high. Now, wish I had bought one then. Because, I have found it to be a great system with lots of unique titles.

I just checked eBay UK for you. They're so cheap right now you can buy four of them for less than 30 pounds, including shipping. Or, you can get the slim console, four games, the cables, and one controller for less then £20. I say go for it, personally, that,s a great deal!

Unless you already have one, which I should I have assumed was possible, and I should shut up. Oh well, I went through the trouble of posting that link, might as well see if somebody gets use out of it.

onthinice

Thanks Bobinator! That is a great deal.

I recently was given a slim version and was very impressed for the small size how much better the games played over the original Playstation. Seems like the load times were quicker.