Sony PlayStation One Discussion Thread

Started by TrekMD, March 19, 2014, 03:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Not a bad list, but like Wiggy mine would be different.
In no order:

Doom
Castlevania: SOTN
Metal Gear Solid
Suikoden
Kings Field
Kings Field 2
Arc the Lad 2
Power Slave
Star Ocean: The second story
Jumping Flash

And yes I think my list is better too  :21:

TrekMD

At least you can't say "mine is bigger than yours" since both lists have 10 games.   :21:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

dot.fyre

Gran Turismo 2
ISS Pro Evo 2
Tekken 3
Metal Gear Solid
Ridge Racer Type 4
Resident Evil 2
Jade Cocoon
Silent Hill
Vagrant Story
Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis

WiggyDiggyPoo

Tekken 2 vs Tekken 3 ?

For me I always found T2 to be a little more quicker to play, and perhaps a little simpler. T3 perhaps a little bloated?

I always liked the stories in Tekken though and the Double Dragon style brawler in T3 (T Tag as well?) was something brave to try.

dot.fyre

I chose Tekken 3 over 2 due to the inclusion of Tekken Ball! :)

tomwaits

(side note, but Tekken Ball returned in the Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

guest5130

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"Tekken 2 vs Tekken 3 ?

For me I always found T2 to be a little more quicker to play, and perhaps a little simpler. T3 perhaps a little bloated?

I always liked the stories in Tekken though and the Double Dragon style brawler in T3 (T Tag as well?) was something brave to try.

Tekken 2 was better for me because the stages and especially the music were just so good. Tekken 3 has a great OST too (I have the CD's) but a greater number of grittier/edgier tracks which I - personally - am not a massive fan of. T2 seemed quicker because it ran at 60fps.

Tekken Force in T3 was great though I played it again not long ago and it hadn't aged very well. Still fun though and far better than The Devil Within (Tekken 5) and the dull Tekken 6 equivalent.

Anyway, my top 10 (in no order) would be:

Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot 2
Medievil
Driver
Final Fantasy VIII
Tekken 2
Soulblade
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Spiderman 2: Enter Electro
Crash Team Racing

There are plenty of others that could have been on that list and also many other 'greats' that I still haven't played. I'm pretty eager to play the full versions of Tombi and Kula World (as opposed to the demos that I thrashed the hell out of).

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "Megamixer"Spyro the Dragon

Ah Spyro, when you were cool and hadn't been raped to become the bastard son of Pokemon!  :24:

Bobinator

I can't say that all of these are my favorites, and this list is subject to change based on my mood. But these are ten games I think are pretty awesome, regardless.

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Bloody Roar 2
Apocalypse
Powerslave (Sure, it's on the Saturn, but the PS1 version is actually a little different.)
Omega Boost
Evil Zone
Rayman 2 (Not one of the better ports, but still a pretty good game, regardless)
Twisted Metal: Small Brawl (Would have gone to TM2, but I think the AI in this is a bit more fair.)
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman

TrekMD

Here is another Top 10 list, this time from the blog of very own member, Ashely:  Top 10 Playstation 1 Games

TrekMD

Bobinator

Wow, Warhawk actually looks like a lot of fun. I haven't actually played that one, so that might be what I go for next. See, if you look at the video, that's exactly what I'm talking about, that strange little period between the 16-bit and 32-bit eras... where you have 3D graphics and more complicated controls, but you still get stuff like the cheesy FMV cutscenes that you'd see all over something like the Sega CD or 3D. Even if it only lasted for a year or two, I love that kind of era. Disruptor's great for that kind of thing, too. Actually, I heard once it was going to be a 3DO game, and it definately has that kind of feel to it.

I can confirm Ape Escape's really good, too. It's pretty interesting to have a 3D platformer where the collectibles try to avoid you and actively fight back. The whole dual analog thing works really well, too. On the subject of platformers, I'd recommend anybody who's interested in Crash and Spyro start with the second game in each series. Spyro 2 is a lot less easy and generally less empty feeling in its levels, while Crash 2 is much, much fairer in terms of difficulty.

Great video, though. Definitely shows off the variety on the PS1 and all the genres you could find on it, although there's quite a few games I'd say they missed.

TL

[align=center:1asd9xz6]I am really not a fan of the 3D stuff on the PS1, most of it has aged terribly. The is some great 2D stuff though like the first few GTA games and this wonderful Arkanoid clone:

Blockbuster Sony Play Station[/align:1asd9xz6]

Bobinator

There's a lot of good 2D stuff on the PS1, if you know where to look. Maybe not quite as much as the 3D stuff, sure, but there's plenty of variety to be had, either way. If we're picking out stuff that wasn't in that Game Sack video...

Guilty Gear

Skullmonkeys

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Silhouette Mirage

And that's not even going into the ports, of which there are so many, many good ones.