Sony PlayStation One Discussion Thread

Started by TrekMD, March 19, 2014, 03:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiggyDiggyPoo

If a library free from unoriginal games is what's needed for a console to be considered retro, well jus' sayin lol

I definitely don't disagree with the points being raised, just I wouldnt discount the console as retro because of them.

guest5130

One of the greats. The N64 and Saturn are classed as retro and from the same generation so the Playstation should also be 'retro'.

Not that it really matters to me anyway when I can play the likes of Final Fantasy VIII, Spyro 1-3, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Driver, Doom etc.

TrekMD

Be sure to check the Retro Asylum Podcase, Episode 76 for a discussion about the PSOne.  The thread with the podcast can be found here:  Retro Asylum - Episode 76 – The Sony Playstation.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

If the PS1 isn't retro, neither is the Saturn. They both came out at around the same time, so the way I see it, it's not really fair to say one gets to be "retro" while the other doesn't. True, what retro is or isn't can be a very difficult thing to define, but that's just how I personally feel. That said, the Playstation is honestly one of my favorite consoles, and there's a few reasons for that. It wasn't my first console, I'll admit, but it was my second, so there's a lot of nostalgia there. I had the thing since I was 6, and I've had a Playstation in some form or another ever since.

Also, I really don't think it's fair to say that the PS1 was automatically bad because it happened to have a lot of sequels. Anything popular will end up getting milked or copied, and it doesn't matter at all what system it happens on. Jet Set Willy. Pac-Man. Street Fighter. I could go on. Why is this system being singled out for this alone?

For me, it's an incredibly interesting system, for just how many games you'd see from Europe, America, and Japan, each of them bringing out their own styles  It was a very long lived system, so pretty much anything you could imagine existed on the PS1, and there's probably no other system with bigger game variety.

If you want a cinematic experience, you're drowning in it, sure. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, so on. But there's so much else to pick from. You want FMV games that'd feel right at home on the last generation? Fox Hunt, the X-Files, or with something with a little more substance, Wing Commander 3. 2D fighters? Fantastic ports of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Street Fighter Alpha 3, along with the original Guilty Gear. For SHMUPs, you've got original classics like Einhander right next to awesome ports like RayCrisis. And if you're wanting something closer to the Saturn's library, you can't go wrong with Bloody Roar, Omega Boost, or Ridge Racer.

I could go on, but generally put, if there's something you want on the Playstation. it's guaranteed to exist. And that's part of the reason I've always been so fond of it. It's just that mix of stuff you'd probably see, and in the case of some games, would see, before slowly transitioning to more modern stuff, that I really like.

zapiy

Some very good points Bob, the PS1 is indeed retro.. It also has some amazing games as you stated and so what if it has rinse and repeat games.. Its the fans that kept buying them so hardly the consoles fault lol..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Clearly the question comes up often as that is one of the first things they ask on the podcast!  Is the PSOne retro? 

Bobinator

Quote from: "zapiy"Some very good points Bob, the PS1 is indeed retro.. It also has some amazing games as you stated and so what if it has rinse and repeat games.. Its the fans that kept buying them so hardly the consoles fault lol..

Well, you know, I won't deny it has a lot of sequels? But guess what else has a lot of sequels? Literally everything else. It just feels like a pretty huge double standard to me, is all. I know you're agreeing with me, that's just the point I'm trying to make.

SnakeEyes

Yes the PS1 spawned sequels, but what console did not. how many sonic games were released on MD etc.

What people forget is that most of those games that spawned sequels were original games at the time, people are looking at the PS1 in hindsight. but at the time Resident evil, Tombraider, Gran turismo, GTA etc were not sequels. they were fresh new exciting games and they were amazing.

look at the Snes and MD, we here about the whole " i still remember the first time I played Sonic or Streetfighter " comments and people remember them fondly because it was amazing at the time. no one talks about how they both were the beginning of endless sequels, So why does the PS1 seem to be the only console that gets this thrown at it.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Streetfighter 2 had how many versions again lol

TrekMD

OK, how about shifting the conversation to something else.  Here is a video that lists Top 10 PSOne games.  I'm sure everyone has their top 10 games, so how does your list compare to this one? 

[align=center:1mojz6zs]Top 10 Playstation One Games[/align:1mojz6zs]

WiggyDiggyPoo

My top yen would be the games I couldn't play eldewhere. So cliches included:

GTA
Final Fantasy 7
Grab Turismo
Destruction Derby 2
Bushido Blade
Tekken 2
Die Hard Trilogy
G Police
Guilty Gear
G Darius

In no order but those are the games that made me go Wow!

And I couldn't get Wipeout or TOCA in there!

TL

Die Hard Trilogy is on the Saturn too and works with the excellent Virtua Gun

TrekMD

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"My top yen would be the games I couldn't play eldewhere. So cliches included:

GTA
Final Fantasy 7
Grab Turismo
Destruction Derby 2
Bushido Blade
Tekken 2
Die Hard Trilogy
G Police
Guilty Gear
G Darius

In no order but those are the games that made me go Wow!

And I couldn't get Wipeout or TOCA in there!

Cool.  What did you think of the list on the video?  Are they worthwhile titles to be on a top 10 list? 

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "TrekMD"Cool.  What did you think of the list on the video?  Are they worthwhile titles to be on a top 10 list?

Medievil - I remember it, but only played the demo
Driver - how could i forget! Sequal was better tho. One for my list too.
Tomb Raider - Never liked it although drowning her was fun
ToyStory2 - Never played it
LOC:SR - Never played it
GTA2 - Would have been on my list but I had it on PC as by this time I had a PC for 'Uni' lol
GT2 - Yes and better than GT1 on my list, but I look back and remember GT with higher regard for impact at the time
CrashBandicoot - Never played any of them
FF7 - On my list
MGS - never got further into it than hiding in a box in the demo

TBH on his list, he has more platformers and 'action adventure' ala LOC:SR or Medievil which I dont play that much, thats fine its his list but I prefer mine lol

TrekMD

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"Tomb Raider - Never liked it although drowning her was fun
:21:

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"TBH on his list, he has more platformers and 'action adventure' ala LOC:SR or Medievil which I dont play that much, thats fine its his list but I prefer mine lol
That's to be expected.  Everyone has their top game for a system based on their general taste for games.