Author Topic: Atari Lynx Help  (Read 5267 times)

guest5124

Atari Lynx Help
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:31 AM »
So in all the years I've been playing/collecting video games I've never owned or played an Atari Lynx. I'm considering getting one and would like your opinion if it's worth getting. Also, which model, what games are good, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

guest5124

Re: Atari Lynx Help
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:57:09 AM »
:)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »
The Atari Lynx is a superb system!  It is definitely worth getting and there are definitely quite a few excellent titles for the system.  Check out our Lynx game reviews in the Reviews section.  Some recommended titles:  Alien vs Predator, APB, Battlezone 2000 (which has a true 2000 hidden mode), California Games, Checkered Flag, Double Dragon, Joust, Klax, Lemmings (hard to find), Ms. Pac-Man, Pinball Jam, Rampage, STUN Runner, Super Asteroids/Missile Command, Xenophobe, and Zaku.

I personally prefer the Lynx II.  Having the cart slot on the back, rather than hidden by a door, is more convenient.  It is also more practical if you get homebrews carts that are standard PCB boards with a protruding board on them.  I think it is also easier to find.
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

guest5124

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, I appreciate it. I didnt realize there were that many good titles for it. As far as price, are the "good" games reasonably priced? Are the better titles hard to find? I definitely think I'm going to pick one up.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
You're welcome.  Most games can be found at reasonable prices but some, like Lemmings and Super Asteroids/Missile Command are harder to find and are more expensive. Here are a couple of threads you may want to check:
- Atari Lynx Recommended Games
- Atari Lynx Discussion Thread

guest5124

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
You're welcome.  Most games can be found at reasonable prices but some, like Lemmings and Super Asteroids/Missile Command are harder to find and are more expensive. Here are a couple of threads you may want to check:
Thanks again! I think the first one on my list will have to be AvP. I have a feeling this one is tough to find. None on ebay :20:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »
Quote from: "Jagman67"
Thanks again! I think the first one on my list will have to be AvP. I have a feeling this one is tough to find. None on ebay :20:

Check SongBird Productions. I think that's where I got mine.

guest5124

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 13:00:48 PM »
No go on AVP at songbird, thanks though. There is one on eBay and it says its a demo that the game was never released. Is that true?

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 13:31:41 PM »
The game did not see official release, that is true.  The game is about 50% done but it is quite an impressive piece of programming on the Lynx.

guest5124

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 14:11:04 PM »
The game did not see official release, that is true.  The game is about 50% done but it is quite an impressive piece of programming on the Lynx.
Well then, guess I'm gonna have to get it. How cool is that, AVP on the jag and lynx :113:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 18:22:58 PM »
I can't remember but maybe Laird does.  Was it the same team that worked on both versions?

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 18:55:32 PM »
I can't remember but maybe Laird does.  Was it the same team that worked on both versions?

Yes Rebellion worked on both version, they talk about it in the interview we did with them.

Quote from: "Jagman67"
So in all the years I've been playing/collecting video games I've never owned or played an Atari Lynx. I'm considering getting one and would like your opinion if it's worth getting. Also, which model, what games are good, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't get me started on the Lynx! I will be here all night!  :4:
[align=center:6qguyeay]Atari Lynx Review[/align:6qguyeay]

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 19:05:37 PM »
Be careful of the laird and his love affair for the Lynx. Lol.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 19:51:10 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Be careful of the laird and his love affair for the Lynx. Lol.

a.k.a. LynxGod in some circles.  ;)

Offline ls650

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 22:00:29 PM »
The Lynx is a great system.  The library has a very high ratio of good to bad games; there are very few that are not at least enjoyable to play.  For a late-80s system, it was very technically advanced, and was really ahead of its time.

Sometimes folks complain about the quality and low resolution of the screen, but I own three different units and they all have the same quality screen.  I find the video is a bit dim at first, but once the machine warms up the picture is good. 

You can find one on ebay fairly cheap, and many of the common games are quite affordable.  There are tons of excellent arcade conversions such as Klax, Paperboy, Robotron, Ms. Pacman, etc.  Some other genres such as sports or RPGs are rather lacking, however.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal