Let's Compare River Raid!

Started by TrekMD, February 23, 2014, 16:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickreynolds

Well, dare I point you to the Intellivisionaries podcast??  :)  You'll find me blathering on and on about my views of the system...

onthinice

Plug away! I have enjoyed a bit and look forward to more.  :113:

Cryptic33

Ok, I have reviewed the footage and reconsidered my earlier comments.

Firstly, I am not knocking the Intellivision as a system. At the time of release it was better than many from my memory. The video is a little frustrating for me as the player did try flying fast at all which, makes it dangerous but exciting. The Intellivision version for me seemed a little lack-lustre in terms of GFX and sounds and not representative of how good the system is. I take back the word 'awful' because clearly, I can only judge on what I see and hear in the video. Still, I do think it could have been better and the only real way to objectify the game on all these machines is to play them all. I suspect only a few people have that privilege.

I also made the statement that I am a big fan of the A8 machines yet the original 2600 version felt like more fun to me and seeing these versions on video made me question does a better machine make for a better gaming experience. Hell no, hence we are all here.

So, as I say, a poor choice of wording on my part but I stand by my gut feeling that the 2600 version is best for the reasons I gave and not because I am a big fan of that system.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TL

With regards to the Jaguar version, this is a quote from Activision.

Quote"Activision are looking at the Jaguar's sales performance to determine whether they will be bringing their new Pitfall to the Jag. A future candidate for the Jag is River Raid."

So it's unlikely it was even started.

TrekMD

Well, that answers that.  Thanks Laird.

Cryptic, thanks for clarifying on the Intellivision version. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"What a loss then!

That's for certain!  It would have been fantastic to see a Jaguar version. 

TL

Seems there was also an unreleased SNES version too:

QuoteRiver Raid: The Mission of No Return (aka River Raid 3) is a cancelled shoot 'em up for the Super Nintendo, based on the original River Raid released in 1982 by Activision for the Atari 2600. The game was going to be published by Activision but it was later cancelled and only few screens remain preserved in the gallery below. Celine was able to find some of these images in Banzzai magazine #14 and Super Power #13.

The source code of River Raid SNES was found in 2001 by an user of the Atari Age forum:

I can tell you, that what I have of River Raid SNES, is mainly a source code dump from August of '93. You'd have to recompile it in order to view it. I had one of my programmers do so just we could figure out what exactly we have on the floppy.
Some other info were found by Zwackery from the Atari Age Forum, in VideoGames magazine (vol. V, no. 11, Nov 1993). As we can read from the VGM article, "River Raid: The Mission of No Return"  was shown at the summer CES  1991 in Chicago, along with the cancelled Kaboom:  The Mad Bomber Returns.

It seems that "both got killed because the developers couldn't push the SNES boundaires with either one" as noted by Klove in the Atari Age Forum.

http://www.unseen64.net/category/nin/super-nintendo/page/5/

onthinice

Awwh! Those screenshots look amazing. What a loss!!!

TrekMD

Can we imagine that the Jaguar version might have looked this this?!?!?

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Can we imagine that the Jaguar version might have looked this this?!?!?

Probably was the exact same game, only with improved graphics and sound - just like Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Can we imagine that the Jaguar version might have looked this this?!?!?

Probably was the exact same game, only with improved graphics and sound - just like Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.

Which would have been a fantastic update for the game. 

Cryptic33

Either way, any Jag game would have been welcomed. I do wonder if they had done as TrekMD said with River Raid the same as they did with Pitfall. maybe it would not have pushed the system but if the playability remained it could have been a cult success.

In my day of trading second hand 2600 carts and systems, I used to take orders for River Raid. It was THAT popular. That was back before Ebay was invented lol

Side note to TrekMD - yeah, I never intended to cause offence but the written word sometimes looks harder than meant. I note no-one disagrees about the Windows version :24:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

Quote from: "Cryptic33"Side note to TrekMD - yeah, I never intended to cause offence but the written word sometimes looks harder than meant. I note no-one disagrees about the Windows version :24:

onthinice

Looking at the those screen shots, reminds me of Soviet Strike for the Saturn/Playstation.

Could the Jaguar have done a similar game or would it have been closer to the 16-bit Strike series?