Tomb Raider

Started by Vyothric, January 21, 2014, 01:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyothric

Unlike a lot of old games I play, I could have played this one years ago. My best friend at the time had it so I could have borrowed it. However, it looked boring so I didn't.

Many years passed and I would often hear about how great the series is. I finally decided to try it out...and guess what? I found it incredibly boring. If you've seen my completed games list for last year, you'll know I like to try and stick with a game to the end but I gave up. I had the same problem with Indiana Jones & The Infernal Machine - I don't know if I've ever tried so hard to make it to the end of a game and failed because of boredom.

With old games it's usually the difficulty that stops me, but in this case....it was just boring. I rarely play games that just feel so cold and dead that there's no fun to it at all.

triverse

On a technical level, I agree.  Most of the original Tomb Raider was boring but it was good at getting the heart pumping in certain situations (giant creatures, leaps of faith, etc) but they were quite spread out.  I prefer my 3D collectathons to be more of the Mario variety.

zapiy

Thats the beauty of gaming, Opinions.  Tomb Raider games have always impressed me but they did fail in story telling until the latest game.. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I remember my first encounters with Tomb Raider very clearly. The first time I saw the game was in a special pull-out in Edge magazine about Core Design (I wish I still had this) where it said the game was heading to the Jaguar CD as Laura Cruz: Tomb Raider. As a Jag owner I was quite excited about this.

Then a year or so on it's revealed it will be a Saturn exclusive instead, Laura Cruz has become Lara Croft and the game is just called Tomb Raider. As I now owned a Saturn I was still just excited to see it, already being a big fan of the games Core Design produced.

I had a friend who was in charge of the games department in our local Dixons and they used to get sent promo discs to use on the in-store display consoles. Sometimes these would be full games and in this case it was. Once they were done with it he gave me the CD and I got a free copy of the game. I stuck it on and found the graphics really impressive but the gameplay frustrating and also very boring. The whole game seemed to revolve around making epic jumps, not my thing. Must have played it 2 or 3 times and then never again. Tried it out again a few years ago and it seemed even worse, it's not aged well at all.

[align=center:3b25emfk][/align:3b25emfk]

Shadowrunner

I remember renting the PS1 original when it first came out. I was impressed with the graphics but didn't enjoy the game enough that I wanted to buy it. After that I think the next one I tried was Tomb Raider Legends on the 360 and I loved it, so much so that I've bought every game in the series since. I'd probably go as far as saying it was one of my favourite game franchises of the last gen, really great games!

TL