Favourite Game Compilations

Started by zapiy, January 13, 2014, 10:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Compilations, we must all own some, so in your opinion what are the best.

MEGADRIVE/GENESIS - CLASSICS COLLECTION

Compiled games:
* Altered Beast .
* Gunstar Heroes .
* Flicky .
* Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle.

Alex Kidd is average at best.
Alltered Beast is a classic.
Gunstar Heroes is a masterpiece very hard to find to.
Flicky its ok.

But with two awesome games this is well worth it.

SNES - SUPER MARIO ALL STARS

Compiled games:
* Super Mario Bros .
* Super Mario Bros. 2.
* Super Mario Bros. 3.
* Super Mario Bros The lost level.
* Super Mario World (only reissue of the game on the SNES).

A must own compilation for SNES and SMB fans.

So what are your favourite compilations?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I never knew of that classics collection! It does repeat a few games from the Mega Games collections though. Still a good pack, I am actually a big fan of Flicky, great little game.

So speaking of the Mega Games collections . . .

Mega Games 1 - Sega Mega Drive

Columns - Classic puzzle game, what more needs to be said about this one?
Super Hang-On - Brilliant conversion of the arcade game that also adds an extra career mode too.
World Cup Italia '90 - Terrible football game that is barely playable these days. Pretend it isn't there!

Mega Games 2 - Sega Mega Drive

Revenge Of Shinobi - Without doubt one of the finest games on the Mega Drive, must have title.
Streets Of Rage - Still a great beat 'em up despite the arrival of the far superior sequel.
Golden Axe - Stonking conversion of the arcade game that even adds an extra level into the mix.

Mega Games 3 - Sega Mega Drive

Alien Storm - Golden Axe with aliens! Well pretty much anyway, another excellent arcade conversion for the MD.
Super Thunder Blade - Quite easily one of the worst games on the Mega Drive. Not even close to the arcade.
Super Monaco GP - Still a pretty decent racing game despite it being bettered by others in the library.

So overall - Mega Games 2 is an essential purchase if you don't already own the games on it, three stone cold classics. The other two both have a duffer on them but are still good value and well worth picking up if you don't already have them.

TL

I should also add that there are three different version of Mega Games 6 too.
These are mostly just combinations of the previous three Mega Games collections. The one exception being the inclusion of Sonic The Hedgehog on Volume 3. These are much harder to find than the first three.

TrekMD

Were these also released in the US?  I'll need to check for them.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Seems that the first one was released, but with a different name:

Triple Score

Sadly the others were not!

In Brazil though they got a Mega Games 10!!!

Mega Games 10

TrekMD

TL

Thinking back to the Spectrum years there were tons of great compilations, but one that really stick in my mind is Taito Coin-op Hits. I clearly remember seeing it advertised in the Home Computer Club magazine just after my dad signed us up for it. It was on offer and seemed to be great value as I recognised quite a few of the games on there from the arcades:

[align=center:24m89qu9]

[/align:24m89qu9]

Rastan - Great conversion of the arcade hack & slash that I spent a lot of time playing.
Slap Fight - I always found this conversion of the game to be too slow and plodding.
Renegade - The Spectrum put out one of the best versions of this game. Hard but very good indeed.
Arkanoid - This was my first experience of this game and I immediately fell in love with it.
Flying Shark - Firebird did a great job with this port, shame about all the monochrome though and hard to see bullets.
Arkanoid 2: Revenge Of Doh - More of the same really, not a bad thing in this case.
Bubble Bobble - The real star of the show, not just a great conversion but one of the best games on the system.
Legend Of Kage - This game was a total mystery to me but I was pleasantly surprised, really under rated game I feel.

Mire Mare

Two I have fond memories of....

I think this was my first compilation.  Had some great games and some utter tosh

Another C64 compilation that again had a mix of great and garbage.  Was this the only charity compilation?

I still have an excellent Beau Jolly compilation that includes Elite, LoM, Starion and Paradroid.

In recent years the Midway and Capcom collections for PS2 etc have been brilliant.  And I've just remembered the Metal Slug Collection for Wii.  Great stuff :)

TL

I can't make out what that first one is? Got a bigger image or a link?  :o

sloan

Geldof had a charity compilation to go with Band Aid? Wow, never would have known.

On that Taito release: How could they have a Taito compilation and not include Qix?

TL

Quote from: "sloan"Geldof had a charity compilation to go with Band Aid? Wow, never would have known.

On that Taito release: How could they have a Taito compilation and not include Qix?

Because Qix never came out for the Spectrum, not officially anyway. You could say the same about Space Invaders too. But these were all games from the mid to late eighties.

Mire Mare

Quote from: "The Laird"I can't make out what that first one is? Got a bigger image or a link?  :o

It's for sale here http://www.retroscene.co.uk/select-1-commodore-64-p-3443.html and there's a bigger image.  Games included; Hunchback, Kong, Ring of Power, Hexpert, Galaxy,  Mr Wimpy, Moon Buggy, Skramble, Denis, Purple Turtles, Cosmic Commando and Starbase Defence.  Some original ideas and a fair few rip-offs!

TL

Quote from: "Mire Mare"
Quote from: "The Laird"I can't make out what that first one is? Got a bigger image or a link?  :o

It's for sale here http://www.retroscene.co.uk/select-1-commodore-64-p-3443.html and there's a bigger image.  Games included; Hunchback, Kong, Ring of Power, Hexpert, Galaxy,  Mr Wimpy, Moon Buggy, Skramble, Denis, Purple Turtles, Cosmic Commando and Starbase Defence.  Some original ideas and a fair few rip-offs!

Yeah pretty mixed bunch, I see it has quite a few of Ocean's early arcade clones on there (which were mostly crap)

TrekMD

Well, this is about compilations.  So here is one of my favorites.  For the Sony PSP, the Namco Museum Battle Collection. Though it does have updated (or "arranged") versions of old classics, all the originals are here as well.

[align=center:28f08ebt][/align:28f08ebt]

TL

I have a DS collection pretty similar to that. Namco really did make some great arcade games back in the day.