Atari XL/XE
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: October 10, 2012, 20:41:13 PM

TL

[align=center:70q3p3sx]

[size=240]Warhawk[/size]

[size=180]By Firebird[/size]

[size=140]War Hawk was a fantastic budget shoot 'em up released by Firebird back in 1986 across multiple formats. The real star attraction of this game though is the superb music by the legendary Rob Hubbard. So which version is the best? Only one way to find out, let the battle commence![/size][/align:70q3p3sx]

[align=center:70q3p3sx]Warhawk intro (Atari ST)

Commodore 64 Music - 104 - Warhawk

Warhawk - Amstrad CPC (Firebird, 1987)

Warhawk music on Atari 800XL[/align:70q3p3sx]

Vyothric

I think all the versions are great really, but I eventually chose the XL because I just love the sound of the POKEY chip.

Mire Mare

This is a brilliant game, I love the music and Rob Hubbard is a god.  C64 was my bread and butter as a kid and I played a lot of Warhawk!.  So, I'm biased heavily towards it here.

I have listened to them all and have listed them below, in reverse order, for your delectation & entertainment... .. .

4. CPC - feckin' awful!  My ears bled.

3. ST - I'm no ST user, but I thought the ST was formerly the machine of choice for musicians.  Slightly better than the CPC version.

2. XL - too much treble and not enough bass. That high pitch 'ting' annoys my ears now that the bleeding has stopped.

1. C64 - Perfect from pitch to pace. 

Vyothric

Interesting. The C64 was probably my least favourite due to the slower tempo. CPC would have been my 2nd choice.

TL

Quote from: "Vyothric"Interesting. The C64 was probably my least favourite due to the slower tempo. CPC would have been my 2nd choice.

My second choice was the ST version and then the very similar CPC version with the C64 in last.

To me that tune just sounds like it was written for the POKEY

Mire Mare

Cover versions very rarely out do the original.  Oasis' version of I Am The Walrus and Hendrix' All Along The Watchtower not withstanding.  I heard the C64 version first.  In fact I always assumed Warhawk hit the c64 first but that's perhaps just wistful, rosy tints.  I heard it a lot hence it's my favourite and, I think, the best.

Warhawk is a pretty slow paced shooter that suits a less than frantic tune.  I think this hits it just right in terms of pace and, to sound all cheesy, it's got more depth, intensity and a richer sound than the others.  It sounds more Yamaha keyboard than home computer and here lies it's strength.

Rogue Trooper

Voted XL/XE myself, 1st version i had and still prefer the music over the C64 version.

Not overly struck on the ST or CPC music, if i'm honest with you.

TL

This thread deserved more votes  :20:

kapturerelease

Think the XL version, as a piece of music, still sounds the best but when matching to gameplay the C64 does it for me.
The ST is not a bad version but the CPC is just damn right wrong.

Sent from The Monolith using Tapatalk.
Sent from the Octagon

TL

Quote from: "kapturerelease"Think the XL version, as a piece of music, still sounds the best but when matching to gameplay the C64 does it for me.
The ST is not a bad version but the CPC is just damn right wrong.

Battle Of The Bands is just about music though :3:

I don't see your vote in the poll, can you not see it?

There are loads of these threads, pinned topic in the Retro Games forum if you want to see/hear more. We have no rules about bumping old topics here, in fact we encourage it if it sparks new discussion.

kapturerelease

Nope can't see on app but just voted through the site.

Sent from The Monolith using Tapatalk.
Sent from the Octagon

TrekMD

I must have missed this the first time around.  My vote goes to the C64.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Wow I am honestly surprised this is so close, I thought the POKEY version would run away with this.