Light Gun Games

Started by TL, December 11, 2013, 21:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

I have always loved light gun games but now we no longer use CRT TVs in our living rooms the one that require this technology are quickly getting forgotten and unplayed. I was playing a few last weekend at Revival and I thought it would make a good discussion. I also found this video that puts the Master System light phaser up against the NES Zapper:

[align=center:llmbwijt]Game Sack - NES Zapper vs Sega Light Phaser[/align:llmbwijt]

SnakeEyes

Gamesack. I love that show. As for Lightgun games, I dont know why they are not as popular. At least if you have a Wii you can still play some.

Its obvious it can still be done, just look at Time crisis on the PS4.

TrekMD

Yes, it is unfortunate that lightgun games can no longer be played with modern TV's.  The ones I have enjoyable and that's why I still have a CRT here in the house!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "SnakeEyes"Gamesack. I love that show. As for Lightgun games, I dont know why they are not as popular. At least if you have a Wii you can still play some.

Its obvious it can still be done, just look at Time crisis on the PS4.

Agreed, the Wii has some great ones. Especially this:

Classic Game Room HD - HOUSE OF THE DEAD OVERKILL on Wii pt1

Classic Game Room HD - HOUSE OF THE DEAD OVERKILL on Wii pt2

davyk

Ghost Squad is another one looking out for - and the Res Evil Chronicles games.

There also Dead Space Extraction and even the Link Crossbow trainer game is worth a go as it has some really nice score attack modes.

I liked HOTD2 on DC but HOTD2&3 on Wii is just more convenient.

Virtua Cop 1 & 2 and Mighty Hits on Saturn are great too.

TL

Quote from: "davyK"Ghost Squad is another one looking out for - and the Res Evil Chronicles games.

There also Dead Space Extraction and even the Link Crossbow trainer game is worth a go as it has some really nice score attack modes.

I liked HOTD2 on DC but HOTD2&3 on Wii is just more convenient.

Yep I have all of those!!!

TL

TrekMD

Quote from: "SnakeEyes"Just a heads up if anyone is unaware of these

http://www.thegametrain.com/products/Playstation-2-Controllers/376-LCD-Topgun-(PlasmaProjectorLCDCRT-Light-Gun).html

This is definitely pretty nifty! 

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "SnakeEyes"Just a heads up if anyone is unaware of these

http://www.thegametrain.com/products/Playstation-2-Controllers/376-LCD-Topgun-(PlasmaProjectorLCDCRT-Light-Gun).html

I was just thinking someone should come up with something like this!
Also with all these adapters they make these days that allow you to use PS2 controllers on older consoles, I wonder if this would work with one of them? It would be pretty cool if you could play the old 8 and 16 bit gun games on a HDTV!

davyk

A Saturn version would be excellent - mainly for Virtua Cop 1 & 2 - but maybe PS2 got a release of that game?

TL

The Atari 7800 has some of my favourite light gun games, a really nice selection of different game types and the gun looks incredibly cool, which is a bonus:

[align=center:35oek5ks]Quick Clips - Atari 7800 - 008 - Crossbow

Meltdown 7800

Alien Brigade (atari 7800) - gameplay[/align:35oek5ks]

TrekMD

All excellent games!  Alien Brigade is one of my favorites!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"All excellent games!  Alien Brigade is one of my favorites!

All 3 games are great, but my particular favourite is Crossbow. I have great memories of playing it on holiday when I was a kid and it was also one of the first 2600 games I played. I have always adored the game and the 7800 version is the best. I also think that Meltdown is a really under rated game, it might not look like much but the gameplay is superb, it can get really frantic.

Sentinel is also pretty good too, if a bit strange, but I couldn't find a video of that on the 7800.

[align=center:38zmesrj][/align:38zmesrj]

dougtitchmarsh

This reminds me I need to get some more games for my Master System Phaser and Megadrive Menacer. I had the Phaser years ago and loved playing gun based games but all I have for it now is the 3 in 1 (Marksman, Safari hunt and trap shooting) and operation wolf which I haven't played for a while.
The link to the LCD Topgun is fantastic, may have to invest in one for the MAME cabinet.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64