The Mattel Hyperscan

Started by TL, November 29, 2013, 19:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1hc0rqf3][/align:1hc0rqf3]

HyperScan is a video game console from Mattel. It uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology along with traditional video game technology. It was marketed toward boys between the ages of five to nine who were not ready for high-end video games in terms of maturity or expense, though ironically the included game was rated T by the ESRB. The console used UDF format CD-ROMs. The HyperScan has two controller ports, as well as a 13.56 MHz RFID scanner that reads and writes to the "cards" which, in turn, activate features in and save data from the game. Players are able to enhance the abilities of their characters by scanning cards. Games retailed for $19.99 and the console itself for $69.99 at launch, but at the end of its very short lifespan, prices of the system were down to $9.99, the games $1.99, and booster packs $0.99.

The system was sold in two varieties, a cube box, and a 2-player value pack. The cube box version was the version sold in stores. It included the system, controller, an X-Men game disc, and 6 X-Men cards. Two player value packs were sold online (but may have been liquidated in stores) and included an extra controller and 12 additional X-Men cards.

The system was discontinued in 2007, shortly after its release, and is featured as one of the ten worst systems ever by PC World magazine.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Hyperscan

[align=center:1hc0rqf3]Here is a review of the machine from the Classic Game Room:

Classic Game Room - HYPERSCAN game console review[/align:1hc0rqf3]

TrekMD

Had never even heard about this until now! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Had never even heard about this until now!

And you thought the Intellivision was the only Mattel console!

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Had never even heard about this until now!

And you thought the Intellivision was the only Mattel console!

:21:  I guess that was their only successful foray into video games!

triverse

For what it is worth, the X-Men game shown in the video is not that bad, at least not as bad as I figured it would be.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

sloan

I have a Hyperscan system in my collection, but no games. They seem difficult to track down around my area along with the accompanying cards.

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"I have a Hyperscan system in my collection, but no games. They seem difficult to track down around my area along with the accompanying cards.

Wow, that's cool that you have the console but it sucks about the games. 

sloan

Y, but like much of my collection, it does nothing but gather dust. Downsizing has been on my mind lately since the likelihood of my opening a museum is next to nil.

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"Y, but like much of my collection, it does nothing but gather dust. Downsizing has been on my mind lately since the likelihood of my opening a museum is next to nil.

Well, this system is certainly collecting dust if you have no games for it.  Shame. 

TrekMD

Those games don't look bad to me but it does take forever to get started!