Let's Compare Columns!

Started by TrekMD, November 27, 2013, 22:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Columns is a puzzle video game, first created in 1989 by Jay Geertsen. The early versions of the game were made for several computer platforms, including the Atari ST.   In 1990 Jay Geertsen sold the rights of the game to Sega which let to ports of the title to several Sega systems (including arcade).

Columns was one of the many Tetris-like puzzles that appeared after that game's great success in the late 1980s. It takes place inside a tall, rectangular playing area. Columns of three different symbols (such as differently-colored jewels) appear, one at a time, at the top of the well and fall to the bottom, landing either on the floor or on top of previously-fallen "Columns."  Gameplay is very similar to that of Tetris.  Let's have a look at several versions....

[align=center:3az7tcpv]Let's Compare ( Columns )[/align:3az7tcpv]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I really love Columns, it's a brilliant puzzle game. I have to say that the Master System version is the best, although the Game Gear version is excellent too. Both better than the Mega Drive version and it's well suited to a handheld in the GG's case.

TrekMD

This is indeed look like a fun game.  I'll need to try out one of the Sega versions of the game.  :)

TL

[align=center:3l45o6le]There are also some great clones of Columns out there, here are a couple that spring to mind for starters:

Acid Drop (Atari 2600)

Vertical Mayhem. Atari Falcon 030 game.[/align:3l45o6le]

TrekMD

Cool!  Acid Drop is actually a pretty good one on the 2600.  :) 

TL

TrekMD

TL