Early 2 Player Games and AI

Started by sloan, November 07, 2013, 01:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloan

Am I the only one who would like to see recoding of early 2 player 8-bit games to have AI for a viable single player option? Games like Combat on VCS, Slot Racers on VCS, Tennis or Baseball on Intellivision?

With most classic gamers not having like-minded friends close by, the ability to enjoy some of these gems is nonexistent without some AI introduced. Specifically, I used to love Combat and Slot Racers on VCS against my brother or sister. These days, I have no way of playing these games.

Thoughts?

TrekMD

It actually is a cool idea.  Tennis has already been done for the Intellivision.  IntelligentVision had a limited release of the updated version of the game as Super Pro Tennis.  I had posted about it here:  Super Pro Tennis.  Combat for the 2600 has not been updated, though there was a Combat 2 prototype that looked better than the original but remained a two-player game.  Combat 1990 for the Atari 7800, however, offers a once player option.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Indy 500 on the Atari 2600 is another one, that game really needs to be hacked to have a computer controlled opponent.

I believe somebody already created a hack with more tracks?

[align=center:3mid5wbg][/align:3mid5wbg]

sloan

Y, the hack with new tracks looks cool, but without AI for the 2nd player I am completely uninterested. I wonder why more homebrewers haven't taken up recoding these games for single player action?

zapiy

Actually this is something i have never thought about before but is a brilliant question..

Can we get a list of those converted?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

sloan

I just saw the 2600 Flashback 4 at a local dollar store for the Christmas shopping season. It had a game on it called Combat 2. Does anyone know if that is single player capable? If so, then I will pick it up just to be able to play Combat again.

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"I just saw the 2600 Flashback 4 at a local dollar store for the Christmas shopping season. It had a game on it called Combat 2. Does anyone know if that is single player capable? If so, then I will pick it up just to be able to play Combat again.

If its the same Combat 2 that I posted about above, no.  That was also a 2-player only game. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...