The Amstrad GX4000

Started by zapiy, April 15, 2011, 18:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Mainly because they werent released in big numbers, some a few thousand, others in the hundreds, did look a few yearsago to collect but prices too much.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

I will get the odd one here and there i guess... no rush to collect them all lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Yeah at least theconsole is cheap! Look at the Commodore64GS on ebay £240-£250 each! Crazy!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Yeah the GS is another grail console to me. 

Lorfarius

I quite like both, the GS was on show at a retro event several years back and I think I played Double Dragon on it.  It was a neat little system but all I could think was cheeky it was they'd expect people to fork out around £40 for carts when the cassettes were a couple of quid. Same with the GX4K.

AmigaJay

Yeah, both tried to get some of the 8-bit MS/NES market which was big esp the MS in the UK which is why both launched here first (and ultimately only place!)
Had they been 2 years earlier it might have been a different story, but again you could say that about any machine  :21:

Lorfarius

I had a mate who was given one at Xmas with an Amstrad monitor and Burning Rubber.  Looked fantastic at the time and I remember going round to play it a couple of times, problem was he didn't even get pocket money so had no chance of buying more games!

zapiy

I have done some digging and i might have found some more games at a bargain price..

avick

Give me a shout if you get any doubles. I'm looking for some donor carts ;-)

zapiy

Gorf

Don't ask me why but there is just something about the GX4000 that makes me want to code for it. It does have some nice features hardware wise...it seems however, either they really suck, the features are not real( IE done in software like sprites) or the dev teams where not worth the price of admission to Amstrad.

According to the specs I've read on this machine, it should have been a winner....well...maybe.

zapiy

Good to hear even if you don't actually code for it. I have yet to go on mine that i purchased..soon i will have some real opinions on it lol.

Gorf

Quote from: "zapiy"Good to hear even if you don't actually code for it. I have yet to go on mine that i purchased..soon i will have some real opinions on it lol.

I did say maybe.... :4:

Lorfarius

Quote from: "Gorf"Don't ask me why but there is just something about the GX4000 that makes me want to code for it. It does have some nice features hardware wise...it seems however, either they really suck, the features are not real( IE done in software like sprites) or the dev teams where not worth the price of admission to Amstrad.

According to the specs I've read on this machine, it should have been a winner....well...maybe.

Could it have competed with the MD and SNES in terms of power?