The Amstrad GX4000

Started by zapiy, April 15, 2011, 18:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

First time for everything!!!  :P

Havantgottaclue

I have a CPC Plus, which of course can play GX4000 cartridges. It's in perfect nick but I actually have no idea whether or not it works or not, as I don't have a monitor.

TL

Quote from: "Havantgottaclue"I have a CPC Plus, which of course can play GX4000 cartridges. It's in perfect nick but I actually have no idea whether or not it works or not, as I don't have a monitor.

You can get TV adpators for them you know!

Havantgottaclue

Oh I know all right, it's just not a very high priority!

TL

zapiy

I have only gone a bid on one lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Scans of the GX4000 and its games from C&VG console guide:

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Scans of the GX4000 and its games from C&VG console guide:

LOL Mean Machines was originally planning to cover the PC Engine, but they dropped it (at last minute) as the decision was made to cover the Amstrad GX4000 instead! ( i sh*t you not!).

Fire And Forget 2 was pretty bloody good on the humble MS, so what on earth happened with the GX4000 version?it should have been THE 8 Bit version, after all your talking of a console with more colours than a MD (4096), hardware sprites and hardware scrolling, yet we see a jerky, ugly, unresponsive version of the game here.

Looks like the title screen at least used the extra colours and a few found their way into main game.

Reviews wise, seems Amstrad Action originally scored it at 94% (Some pressure from elsewhere to get good media coverage of machine i wonder?), but that was later changed to 55%, Mean Machines scored it at 33%

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"LOL Mean Machines was originally planning to cover the PC Engine, but they dropped it (at last minute) as the decision was made to cover the Amstrad GX4000 instead! ( i sh*t you not!).

It was supposed to cover the 7800 and Lynx too, they were even listed on the cover of all the early issues without ever appearing in the mag  >:(

AmigaJay

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"LOL Mean Machines was originally planning to cover the PC Engine, but they dropped it (at last minute) as the decision was made to cover the Amstrad GX4000 instead! ( i sh*t you not!).

It was supposed to cover the 7800 and Lynx too, they were even listed on the cover of all the early issues without ever appearing in the mag  >:(
Where was this? I own all the mags, none of them have the 7800 or Lynx on the cover, must be getting mixed up with another mag.

The Gx4000 was removed from the cover after Issue 6.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

I have them all too, and I was so sure there was text along the top that said 7800 and Lynx. But now I look I can't see that on any of them so I think I might be getting mixed up with the console specials that C&VG did.  :2:

Crusto

I'm sure issue one had the PCE on the cover too, but no coverage inside.
Bitches leave

AmigaJay

Quote from: "Crusto"I'm sure issue one had the PCE on the cover too, but no coverage inside.
Nope, it had the MS, MD, GX4000, NES....

Issue 0 the publishers test Issue had 'Turbografx' along the top in words and a picture of Gunhed on the cover showing their intention to review PCE games, but as said the decision probably by the publishers rather than the reviewers to change for the GX4000.....wonder why they didnt cover the C64GS?!  :21:
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

I got to play a few GX4000 games over the weekend at Revival, ones I hadn't played before on it like Klax and Switchblade, both games are good but this is really is a terrible console that is not helped by the atrocious joypads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukKuZeBkXQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIW8P0Ex72A