GameBoy Color Discussion Thread

Started by TrekMD, October 22, 2013, 03:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Well, since there isn't a thread for the GameBoy Color, I've decided to start one. Instead of posting a video review of the system, I'm going to start the thread with a video showcasing 100 games for this handheld...all in 10 minutes!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

Thought I'd wake up this thread by adding this video looking at 569 box art scans for GBC games...

Shadowrunner

I have a GameBoy Color, and exactly zero games for it  :21: I do have a few original GameBoy games I play on it though. I bought it years ago to replace my broken GameBoy and planned to buy some color games to play on it too but never did. I watched that first video and there are some good looking games for it.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I have a GameBoy Color, and exactly zero games for it  :)

onthinice

The GameBoy Color is one of the reasons I have not been posting. Never played Pokemon on the GB or GBC, always the N64. Well, I got catch 'em all.

Playing Pokemon Blue. Very addictive.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"
The GameBoy Color is one of the reasons I have not been posting. Never played Pokemon on the GB or GBC, always the N64. Well, I got catch 'em all.

Playing Pokemon Blue. Very addictive.

It's keeping you busy, eh?  ;) Glad to have you back.

onthinice

I started to keep a back-up GBC charging to keep me going.  :28: I am wore out. So no Pokemon today.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"
I started to keep a back-up GBC charging to keep me going.  :28: I am wore out. So no Pokemon today.
No, looks like you had to deal with Porch'emon instead!   :)

guest5286

This is both the most criminally underrated piece of hardware ever constructed, and practically a parody of Nintendo's refusal to evolve. It looks like an NES running at a reduced resolution, but it's overclocked to the point where it can outrace a Megadrive. It's completely ridiculous, watching some of it's best titles pull off 32 bit era gameplay with 8 bit graphics.

Is it wrong that I wish there were more systems like this?

I would kill for a Spectrum 128 that had all the power of a modern computer, everywhere except the color clash graphics and "finally, we have music" sound. I swear, I would never leave the house again.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "TheWhispersOfSpiders"This is both the most criminally underrated piece of hardware ever constructed, and practically a parody of Nintendo's refusal to evolve. It looks like an NES running at a reduced resolution, but it's overclocked to the point where it can outrace a Megadrive. It's completely ridiculous, watching some of it's best titles pull off 32 bit era gameplay with 8 bit graphics.

Is it wrong that I wish there were more systems like this?

I would kill for a Spectrum 128 that had all the power of a modern computer, everywhere except the color clash graphics and "finally, we have music" sound. I swear, I would never leave the house again.

Nice take on the handheld. I'll be honest, I had no idea it was that powerful. I really need to buy some Color games to play on mine  :)

Bobinator

The Game Boy Color always was sort of the forgotten step in the Game Boy evolution, for whatever reason. I did have one, and I actually had a lot of fun with mine. For whatever reason, however, it always seemed like it was kind of just... forgotten, compared to the original Game Boy. I guess maybe because it just wasn't as much of a leap in technology from the original Game Boy. Either that, or there just weren't as many good exclusives.

Still, though, there's some good stuff on there! Moving past the obvious stuff like Zelda, Pokemon, and what have you...

Shantae isn't a game I've played much of, but I've heard a lot of good things. As one of the last Game Boy Color games, it's also, sadly, one of hte rarest. From what I gather, it's best compared to some of the later Monster World games, where you're given free reign to move around the world, although you'll need new items and abilities to open up new areas. Sort of like Zelda, only in the context of a 2D sidescroller.

https://youtu.be/B1nAsPjMKzI

There was a Game Boy port of Street Fighter II, but nobody talks about it, because it was ASS. This port of the original Street Fighter Alpha, however, is not! It's got all the characters, the super moves, all with a silky smooth frame rate. Sure, you're missing four whole buttons, but that's not the port's fault.

TrekMD

I honestly have to say that I don't even remember hearing much about the GBC back in the day.  I wasn't much into Nintendo systems but I was still aware of what was happening with the video game industry. I've been surprised with some of the games for the system, though. 

onthinice

I did not know much either. The GBC has turned out to be a fun little handheld for me.

Greyfox

I only had the Gameboy Color for a short period of time , but what I played on it , I thought was fantastic and was a great introduction to the Gameboy Advance when that showed up, I play the GBC via the JxD nowadays and still discovering cool little games I never seen before and Trek's video above has really helped me get into this deadly little piece of kit.