Never Played NES

Started by sunteam_paul, October 13, 2013, 14:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunteam_paul

I seem to have missed out on the NES first time around, so I've started a new video series in which I play NES games (usually poorly) for the first time and record my impressions. Here's the first one.

Never Played NES #1 - Tiger Heli

TrekMD

Never played this game but I've only had a NES for a short time. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

64bitRuss

Tiger-Heli is far too generic of a shmup to hold my attention for more than a couple of minutes. Shmups were rather pathetic as a general rule during the 8-bit days. I did like Sky Shark, but again, it's still generic.

Shadowrunner

Cool idea! I haven't played Tiger Heli in years but I used to really like it.

zapiy

Yeah that's a Puka idea fella. Will keep an eye out for these as I was not a NES user either so these will be interesting.

I actually like the look of this game, so much so I am going to see if I own it and if not go and buy it lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

sunteam_paul

Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah that's a Puka idea fella. Will keep an eye out for these as I was not a NES user either so these will be interesting.

I actually like the look of this game, so much so I am going to see if I own it and if not go and buy it lol.

I usually find most pre-PC Engine era shoot 'em ups to be unfun/unbalanced, but Tiger Heli was quite enjoyable, def. worth getting.

TL

Quote from: "sunteam_paul"
Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah that's a Puka idea fella. Will keep an eye out for these as I was not a NES user either so these will be interesting.

I usually find most pre-PC Engine era shoot 'em ups to be unfun/unbalanced, but Tiger Heli was quite enjoyable, def. worth getting.

The NES was not best suited to shooters with all that sprite flicker.

zapiy

I don't even thing at that level though fella. I just game, the tech behind it I leave to you lot lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dougtitchmarsh

Keep em coming Sunteam_Paul, great idea and I like the style of it.  :113:
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Shadowrunner

In the case of Athena I think Pauls commentary is far more enjoyable than playing the game  :21:

sloan

You don't say, but looks like you are playing on an emulator. This makes me wonder if you have full controller functionality for these games using the keyboard arrows or a PC game pad. Real hardware is the best way to experience NES, and some of the frustrations seen in your videos would be minimized.

zapiy

Yeah, what are you using Paul?

davyk

Hudson did some shmups on the NES - they ran huge hi-score compeitions in Japan across the country using them - gave rise the idea of a caravan mode.

Star Force, Star Soldier and Hector '87 were 3 games that ware used in these tournaments.

Check out Sqoon by Irem on the NES which is a neat little submarine horizontal shmup.

sunteam_paul

Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah, what are you using Paul?

I'm using Nestopia to emulate and playing with my trusty PS1 Dual Shock using the digital pad - certainly a lot more comfortable for my hands than the old style pads and great for retro stuff.