New Lynx Homebrew Game - Little Green Quak Quak

Started by TL, March 10, 2012, 20:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Very nice looking update on Frogger from Hex Games.

Apparently in Germany frogs go Quak  :o

zapiy

Thats looks great..

Will this be available to buy?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Quote from: "zapiy"Thats looks great..

Will this be available to buy?

Yep. With a box and everything.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "The Laird"Apparently in Germany frogs go Quak  :o
That's ribbit-ulous!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Quote from: "The Laird"Apparently in Germany frogs go Quak  :o
That's ribbit-ulous!

Quak!  Quak, quak, quak!

Minerals

looks like a perfect game to play on the Lynx

TL

Looking forward to this but apparently progress is slow and it might not be with us until nearer the end of the year.

TL

Going to give this a bump as the guy doing the graphics for this game has just joined us!!!!  8)

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Going to give this a bump as the guy doing the graphics for this game has just joined us!!!!  :)

onthinice

108 Stars

Ha, nice to see there's interest in this outside dedicated Atari forums. :)

Yeah, I am doing the graphics, and I must admit progress is kind of slow atm. It's not like there is a whole lot of graphics  left to be done; pretty much everything for the standard Frogger level is done, so is the title screen and a font for Highscores and stuff.

But I want to include a bit of variety; like more vehicles and at least three different scenarios: the standard you know from Frogger, you see that on the screenshots, a country variant with muddy road instead of asphalt and some fitting vehicles like tractors, and a snow variant, possibly with some exclusive vehicles as well.

That's my part of the game.

On the programming side there is also still work to do, as we want to have gameplay like the VCS-classic "Freeway" in it in addition to just Frogger; and that Freeway-mode will hopefully also be playable in multiplayer via Comlynx.

Lastly, some more music needs to be done. matshen, the programmer is doing some, but he is no composer. Sadly the Lynx-scene lacks people into doing music; there's plenty of coders, a few people like me who do graphics, but nobody who specializes in music.

Music generally seems to be a problem that haunts Atari-systems. We had the 7800 with the horrible VCS music, the Lynx usually had few music tracks in his games compared to the GB (I always think of Switchblade II, it's really a nice game for me as Shinobi-fan, but the silence does not help excitement), and even on Jaguar some of the top games lack in music (Doom and AvP, while it is intentional in the latter one).

matashen is working hard, but he has wife and kids, and spare time is limited. But we do aim to make the game really good.

The game will definitely be released as physical card (rather PCB, we can't do a real card like SFT did for Zaku) with box and manual, and you will be able to save your highscores.

About the name... well, indeed German frogs say "quak". Maybe we will change the name, but then again the name alone has spawned such a nice discussion it might be cool to keep it for that reason alone.^^

Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

Thanks for the update, I for one, am really looking forward to this!

Out of interest are there any trackers or tutorials and such like for making Lynx music? I know somebody who could probably help but he has never done Lynx music - he has done ST, Amiga, C64 and Jaguar though.

108 Stars

There is a tool called CHIPPER made by Björn Spruck aka Sage, but I am told it is kind of overly complex... but for someone experienced with such a variety of systems it might be fine.

He only gives away the latest version if you contact him though, it's not really public atm.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan