PAL PlayStation At 18

Started by Rogue Trooper, September 30, 2013, 10:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

I got a late release of the grey slab model - which I actually like - didn't like the PSOne. It has a light synth in the firmware - play a CD and press SELECT and you can select from several visualisations that have some limited interactivity. Still plays fine

The RTypes compilation is excellent too (full screen in PAL just as Delta is).

AmigaJay

Quote from: "davyK"The PS1, while host to a lot of stuff I loathe , and for me represents chav gaming at its worst, actually plays host to quite a few interesting games.

That's impossible the word 'chav' wasn't 'invented' in 1995!

Personally loved the PS1 era for a few years until it went stale and got a DC in 99, imo it wasn't until the PS2 where the games and costs spiralled meaning less original games and more corporate crap, the PS1 and Saturn were riding the exciting 3D wave of games and going back and playing some now you could see a lot of original and simple games you just don't get on consoles anymore.... Loved the Playstation or PSX as I like to call it  :36:
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Rogue Trooper

This could be a great thread to mention the more 'unknown' PS1 games.

Any fans of Team Buddies (Psygnosis), kinda Worms crossed with Tetris, superb A.I espically for a PS1 title and bllody good fun.

RC Stuntcopter (Shiny).For once the PS dual sticks came in useful as they were ideal to mimic the levers on a RC Helicopter control box.Tough bloody game, but quite unlike anything else on PS1.

Also, nothing unknown, but Wipeout:

Roots could be traced back to Powerdrome on ST (which had a reboot on Xbox/PS2 years later ironically enough), but where as Powerdrome was quite off-putting to a lot of players (you really needed to learn the controls and there was no auto-centering), Wipeout (which i found the 1st instalment to be a tricky sod to get to grips with, controls wise) took the concept and opened it up somewhat and really used the power of the then new technology to produce a worthy spirtual follow up.

Wish there'd been a few more attempts like this during the 32 Bit era...

davyk

Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Quote from: "davyK"The PS1, while host to a lot of stuff I loathe , and for me represents chav gaming at its worst, actually plays host to quite a few interesting games.

Maybe   :78:

but it actually sums up what I don't like about modern gaming - which the PS1 did an awful lot to kick off.   Modern gaming is chav-ish.....endless FIFA and gunning people down - implemented in series that have no retention value - fitting in with their attitude that everything is disposable - and all played by the sort of people who play on nicotine stained 360s and trade in games that resemble something that has been used to dig the garden with.

OK I m a snob - but i don't like the fact that these arseholes are here - and are dictating what type of game is being made - typical Hollywood wannabe filter feeding lowest common denominator shit.

I have issues.

TL

I was using the word "chav" well before 1995! It does seem the perfect word.

This thread has gone a lot better than the one on RG, which bizarrely seems to have turned into a thread about me!  :o

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "davyK"

but it actually sums up what I don't like about modern gaming - which the PS1 did an awful lot to kick off.   Modern gaming is chav-ish.....endless FIFA and gunning people down - implemented in series that have no retention value - fitting in with their attitude that everything is disposable - and all played by the sort of people who play on nicotine stained 360s and trade in games that resemble something that has been used to dig the garden with.

OK I m a snob - but i don't like the fact that these arseholes are here - and are dictating what type of game is being made - typical Hollywood wannabe filter feeding lowest common denominator shit.

I have issues.

I'd throw these into the mix:

With PS1 i was playing games once the domain of PC's/Home micro's, on a console:

Xcom, Civ.2, Warzone 2100, Command and Conq. (plus exp.disc), MDK, Quake 2, Red Alert, Theme Hospital etc, games with far more depth than your average console game in terms of the strategy games mentioned, plus things like MDK/Quake 2 once said to be impossible to do on mere console....

COD/Battlefield which friends of mine seem to play and little else...started on PC.

Fifa:E.A 1st put out on MD

Need For speed was 3DO...

Tomb Raider (as i mentioned in Fact/Fiction thread) inspired by PC Ultima Underworld

Wipeout's really a spirtual follow up to ST/Amiga Powerdrome.

Alien trilogy started out on MCD.

So if you look at a lot of 'key' games from Ps1/PS2/Xbox era onwards and trace things back.....industry was either heading that way or waiting for consoles to catch-up.

Besides, i never here folks mention these PS games either:

Sentinel returns

Kula World

Trone Bonne (Strategy, puzzles and action in 1 game)

Rescue Shot (gun-game meets Lemmings)

Devil Dice.

Yo yo's Puzzle park (Bubble Bobble meets Bomberman).

Yes the PS1 was drowning in a sea of tat at times, but if you knew where to look (and hopefully this thread will give PS1 collectors a good idea) there were plenty of gems that people don't seem aware existed.

AmigaJay

I have issues.
I don't think you can blame the Playstation for that! Had any other console been as successful then that would have had the fifa sequels etc it goes hand in hand with sales.
If anything the Playstation brought gaming to the masses and upped gaming from really geeky to more adults and cool....and for that alone I thank them! Not so much now but back then yes!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

davyk

I have issues.
I don't think you can blame the Playstation for that! Had any other console been as successful then that would have had the fifa sequels etc it goes hand in hand with sales.
If anything the Playstation brought gaming to the masses and upped gaming from really geeky to more adults and cool....and for that alone I thank them! Not so much now but back then yes!

It's more complex that blaming a console. I'm very fond of the PS1 - my collection of PS1 games has many interesting titles and I hope my earlier post makes that clear. It's the mainstream appeal I hate - it ultimately equates to less interesting titles  - and it all started with PS1.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "davyK"It's more complex that blaming a console. I'm very fond of the PS1 - my collection of PS1 games has many interesting titles and I hope my earlier post makes that clear. It's the mainstream appeal I hate - it ultimately equates to less interesting titles  - and it all started with PS1.

Yes the PS1 may have been the console that brought gaming into the mainstream, but it's not like they were the first ones to try it, they were just the first ones to be successful at it.
Starting in 1987, we had NEC, SNK, JVC, Sharp, Fujitsu, Philips, Pioneer, Bandai, Apple, Panasonic, Sanyo, Goldstar, along with Sega, Nintendo, Atari and Sony all involved in console development. And I'm sure I'm missing a few LOL!
All these companies got into the video game market because they knew it was the future and regardless of Sony releasing the PS1 we would have ended up in the same place we are right now. That's my opinion anyway  :)

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "davyK"It's more complex that blaming a console. I'm very fond of the PS1 - my collection of PS1 games has many interesting titles and I hope my earlier post makes that clear. It's the mainstream appeal I hate - it ultimately equates to less interesting titles  - and it all started with PS1.

Yes the PS1 may have been the console that brought gaming into the mainstream, but it's not like they were the first ones to try it, they were just the first ones to be successful at it.
Starting in 1987, we had NEC, SNK, JVC, Sharp, Fujitsu, Philips, Pioneer, Bandai, Apple, Panasonic, Sanyo, Goldstar, along with Sega, Nintendo, Atari and Sony all involved in console development. And I'm sure I'm missing a few LOL!
All these companies got into the video game market because they knew it was the future and regardless of Sony releasing the PS1 we would have ended up in the same place we are right now. That's my opinion anyway  :)

Exactly.

It's like 3DO were'nt the 1st to attempt to get a single-format, MSX tried and failed years before it.

Phillips and Commodore both tried to replace the VCR to some degree (as a video player) with CDTV and CD-i (plus VCD add-on for PS1 was'nt there?), i used both my PS2 and Xbox to play DVD's and this generation my 360 plays HD DVD's via add-on, DVD's, PS3 plays DVD's, Blu Ray's....

Laser Disc players we've discussed which had modules to play MCD games, PC Engine games...

People like The Bitmap Bros using various music artists tracks in games before Wipeout....

Psygnosis were doing 'Eye-Candy' games that shifted hardware, but were'nt all that deep (Shadow Of The Beast
series, Amiga) long before Sega accused PS fans of being 'Graphic's Tarts'

3D was being tried on Vectrex (3D Imager) and Master System (3D Glasses) long before 3DS....Jim Power on Amiga, Contra on PS1 etc etc.

Look how many devices the MD hardware turned up in:Wondermega JVC, Multimega, Megajet, Mega PC, Laseractive (Pioneer), CSD-GM! (Aiwa)

The Saturn hardware: Hi-Saturn (Hitachi), V-Saturn (JVC-Victor) which had the MPEG card added, Hi-Saturn Navi (Hitachi) LCD monitor, modem+GPS an in-car curio but a joint deal with Nissan.

Concepts tried, abandoned and then put back out there, companies who you'd not normally associate with consoles (Nissan and Awia!).

Games being done to showcase power of system 1st, gameplay came 2nd which shifted hardware etc.

All done by others than Sony, all done as they thought there was money to be made.

If it helped sell your product be it: a car, booked a seat on your airline, shifted your micro, console or game, then they were happy to use it as a selling point.

Rogue Trooper

Few more PS1 'lesser known games':

Global Domination (think Risk meets Missile Command).

Silent Bomber (as 1 reviewer called it '..MGS with a firework up it's arse!')

Core Design's Fighting Force and Ninja actually started out as saturn titles, but then became PS1+Saturn titles as their coders learnt the PS1, so more games that would have appeared even if Sony had'nt entered the market.

Fighting Force was influenced by Streets Of Rage-Core just wanted something less linear (pity game turned out to be a real dog).

Ninja:influenced by Ghost's 'N' Goblins, Rygar and Shinobi-Core's aim was old school gameplay in new 3D enviroment.

onthinice

I like the sound of Global Domination.

Rogue Trooper

Project Overkill was Konami attempting to bring a modern version of Smash TV and Total Carnage to PS1.

Burning Road:whilst not matching the brillance (gameplay wise) of Sega's coin-op Sega Rally, proved technically the PS1 was more than capable of running a fantastic conversion of it, (probably better even than the stunning Saturn conversion), chunky texture-mapped mountains, tunnels etc, great light sourcing, minimal clipping, cars that felt as if they had real wieght to them (i hated V-Rally as cars felt like they were made of cardboard)

Treasures Of The Deep (Namco):Smart looking and immersive underwater treasure hunting game, another i never hear mentioned.

Little Big Adventure got ported from PC to PS1 in Europe and Japan, so offering something different to the more mainstream PS1 fare.

Slam Scape was a cross between Ballblazer+Nights, sadly lacked the excitement to make it an essential purchase.

Contra:Legacy Of war had some neat features:3D Mode (needed those red+green lense glases and lot of fiddling with TV settings! to work though), plus towards end of level 2, game went 'old school' with Bamboo arcade, which featured updated Gyrus and an odd cross between Tank-Battle and Pac-Man.

Rogue Trooper

Any Fear Effect /Fear Effect 2:Retro Helix fans here?.

Best described as Blade Runner, but done as a sleazy anime sex-romp 3rd person adventures, thought you might like to know that there was a planned PS2 game, Inferno, but that was canned and developers were looking at doing a new game on PS3 (planned as a 1st wave title).

PS3 game would have used real-time graphics, moved away from fixed camera angles, had slick control method and Hannah and Rain would be transformed into HD photo-realistic lipstick lesbo fantasy figures.

Rogue Trooper

Just a little comment on how either 'taken in' by P.R claims some mags seemed to be:

Both C+VG and Mean Machines printed the C.G.I cut Scene footage from Alien Trilogy and claimed it was in-game footage.Mean Machines claiming it'd make Jaguar AVP look like the Wizard Of Oz and C+Vg under headline...They're Back....

'Feast your eyes on these shots, they're not from any intro, this from Acclaims Alien trilogy and it's like nothing we've you've ever seen before'

Indeed, very high res, detailed, fantastic lighting, no jaggies etc, i'd never seen actual game footage on anything at that time look that good...