Author Topic: The GBA thread  (Read 18378 times)

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The GBA thread
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 17:23:02 PM »
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
This is the one I'm getting, that exact colour

Cool, that' the exact one I have. The only downside to that model compared to the SP is it doesn't have a backlit screen making it very hard to play in low light situations. They did make a light attachment for it that does help a lot.

This is the one I have and it works good but there are quite a few other kinds too.

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 19:24:36 PM »
awesome whats that ones name? I haven't seen that one before. I have one of the wire ones but they literally do jack
Ultrapro on xbox live

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:11 AM »
I'm not sure what the name is but it's made by Intec if that helps. They probably pop up on ebay sometimes.

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 17:41:07 PM »
Got a nice one by pelican which works well, similar to yours! The worm light doesnt work for shit really.

Can anyone tell me about the gba mains adapters? I've seen an official one which replaces the battery and cover but then I've seen ones which plug in the ext ports. So, 2 questions; 1) do the ones with the ext Jack work? 2) can you use it to power the gbc as well?  As it has an ext port too?
Ultrapro on xbox live

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 00:33:14 AM »
No idea mate sorry, not my area of expertise.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 01:00:35 AM »
I have no idea either.  I only have a GBA (I don't  have a GBC), so I don't know if the adapter is interchangeable.
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Fin

• View Profile
    • http://www.finthegeek.com
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 22:07:31 PM »
Am i right in thinking a Sonic game came out on the GBA?

I currently only have Pokemon Red mine, any tips of what i should get are welcome! (Pokemons actually for my other half))

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 22:16:16 PM »
I have a Sonic game for the GBA and it's really good. I'm not at home to check but I think it's called Sonic Advance and I think they made a sequel too. As far as other suggestions you can't go wrong with any of the Castlevania  games for it, they are all excellent!

Offline TL

• View Profile

Offline Fin

• View Profile
    • http://www.finthegeek.com
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 22:24:35 PM »
Ah i thought Sonic Advance was just a flash game because of the different style of sprites. I have to get them because i collect Sonic things but wasn't impressed with them at first glance.

Prehaps playing them will make the difference :)

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 23:49:46 PM »
Ok no biggie, so what kind of charger/power supply do you use for the GBA?? Does it go in the ext port or does it plug in instead of the batteries? I don't wanna waste tonnes of money on a rare official power supply if a 3rd party one will do the job fine

Quote from: "TrekMD"
I have no idea either.  I only have a GBA (I don't  have a GBC), so I don't know if the adapter is interchangeable.
Ultrapro on xbox live

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 00:30:24 AM »
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
Ok no biggie, so what kind of charger/power supply do you use for the GBA?? Does it go in the ext port or does it plug in instead of the batteries? I don't wanna waste tonnes of money on a rare official power supply if a 3rd party one will do the job fine

I have two different chargers: one for the GBA SP and one for my DS.  The original GBA runs on batteries and the charger doesn't have a place where I can plug it into the system.  Here are pictures of my charger for the SP attached.

Offline Lorfarius

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 20:59:45 PM »
I picked this up last week, modded with an SP screen:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 21:46:46 PM »
Very cool.  This is a nice design for the GBA.  That is a great mod for it too! 

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 16:55:03 PM »
OK, since somebody posted about them, and since this is kind of my thing, let me give you the rundown on the Sonic Advance games:

Advance 1 is great. Probably the closest thing we'll ever get to an actual Sonic 4. "But Bobinator, didn't th--" NO THEY DIDN'T SHUT UP.

Anyway. It's pretty short, probably even more than Sonic 2. That probably has to do with the fact that you can start a new game from any level you unlock, but still. It's still a really good game, though. Four different characters, including Amy, who's got her own slower, unique playstyle. The physics are pretty much perfect, the level design's pretty good, and there's some good music. Play it. Just be warned that the special stages are pretty awful, if you're going for the best ending.

And then there's Sonic Advance 2. This one... eh, it's really not that good. Apparently, some reviewers said that Advance 1 was too slow. So Sega went like some kind of literal genie and made the game about going fast. All the time. And you might think that'd be a good thing, but 90% of the game is just holding down right and waiting. I mean, I could be exagerrating, but so much of the levels are nothing but straight lines forward with a few pits that there's pretty much no control. The game pretty much plays itself. Skip it.

Advance 3 is a little somewhere between 1 and 2, so it's at least a lot better than 2. There's a lot more speed, but there's more level-specific gimmicks and such that mean there's still a decent enough amount of platforming. There's also a cool gimmick where you get a partner character that gives you different moves, which is a pretty nice idea. The only real issue I have with this game is that it's REALLY easy to die, either from pits, or parts where you suddenly run into a wall... just as a moving platform is coming down onto your head.

Never touch Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis. Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. EVER. Touch Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis. If you haven't run screaming from the room in horror from the video that was posted earlier, I can't help you.

Sonic Battle is kind of odd, but it's not terrible. It's a Power Stone-y sort of arena fighter, although you don't get any of the interesting levels or random items of PS or Super Smash Brothers. The fighting generally works pretty well, although it's not super deep. There's also a cool story mode where you can upgrade a robot named Emerel, who starts out as the dumpiest, slowest piece of crap ever to an unstoppable death machine by the end of the mode. Also, Shadow is super broken.

To post something original, check out Ninja Five-O, or Ninja Cop, in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKU4upMDxjY#

It's a game very much in the style and spirit of the Genesis Shinobi games, and it's a DAMN sight better than the Shinobi game that came out on the GBA. For being one of the earlier GBA games, it's honeslty probably one of the best. Also, you get a grappling hook that lets you swing around, and I LOVE games that let you do that. Sadly, it's a pretty rare game, these days...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal