Let's Compare MERCS

Started by TrekMD, September 19, 2013, 02:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Here is another comparison video.  This has small but interesting mix of systems compared to the arcade version.

[align=center:2fzlu3lc]Let's Compare ( MERCS )[/align:2fzlu3lc]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I really love MERCS, I personally think it's one of Capcom's best games and a worthy sequel to Commando. It really is about time Capcom made a new game in the series!

From the versions on this video my opinions are:

Commodore 64 - Oh dear, brown everywhere combined with a complete lack of detail makes this an incredibly ugly game. The horrible generic music doesn't help matters very much either. The worst of all the versions IMO.
Sinclair Spectrum - Very impressed by this graphically but the sound is just terrible, why is there no music for 128k machines? Especially given that the Speccy has basically the same sound chip as both the Amstrad and ST (which both have music)
Amstrad CPC - This version would be among the most impressive out there if it wasn't for the fact that the play area is the size of a postage stamp. Shame because the graphics and music are both really nice.
Sega Master System - I was incredibly impressed by how accurate this version is compared to the original arcade game. The only downfalls are the weedy sound effects and lack of in-game music.
Atari ST - Quite easily one of the best arcade conversions by US Gold on the Atari ST. It has great graphics, nice music and also retains the simultaneous two-player mode unlike the Mega Drive version.
Commodore Amiga - Another very good 16-bit version. The Amiga version is very interesting because it chooses to match the screen display used by the arcade game rather than a side bar or wider screen.
Sega Mega Drive - I love this game, it's definitely one of my favourite titles on the machine. The best part is the bonus original mode included on the cartridge. If it had a tw-player mode too it would be almost perfect!

Rogue Trooper

Capcom already did Commando 3 this generation:Commando:wolf Of The Battlefield by Backbone Ent. (PSN/XBL).

I downloaded the demo, a very long time ago, same time i did 1942, had'nt had my PS3 very long, never went much on it to be honest.

Much prefered Expendable on Dreamcast myself.

TrekMD

This will be a game for me to get for my Genesis!  :)

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"This will be a game for me to get for my Genesis!  :)

Without doubt!

Just remember this:

Genesis does what Nintendon't!

TrekMD

64bitRuss

The Genesis version really is the only acceptable game to buy. Great game.

onthinice

Another title that surprises me it was not ported to more systems at the time. Maybe the Genesis/Mega Drive version was just to good to top?

Rogue Trooper

It might only have been a clone, but i enjoyed Core design's Warzone on ST/Amiga.

SnakeEyes

No surprise here. The MD version is not just the best version here by a mile, nut the game itself is one of the best games of the 16bit era. Fantastic game.