Unreleased & Unfinished Games Thread

Started by Minerals, September 10, 2013, 20:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Trooper

On a real DC vibe at moment myself (never a bad thing...)

Another 'burst' of titles annouced/planned/shown etc, but never went anywhere:

Speedball 2100 was 'considered' for DC (would have been port of PS1 game).

Buffy the Vampire slayer, started off on DC, ended up on Xbox.

Messiah was shown at E3, possible the dissapointment the PC version recived in quarters put paid to the DC version? ditto for another PC conversion shown at E3: Prince Of Persia 3D (which was slamned on PC for simplistic combat and poor controls).

Galleon was also DC bound-I own the Xbox version which did appear, can see what they were trying for, but it falls down on so many levels.

Age Of Empires II was DC bound, ideal for DC mouse and a PC fav.of mine, would have loved on DC.

Take 2 had Austin Powers:Mojo Rally (no great loss, yet another kart racer!) planned for DC

Lost Toys had Moho planned for DC.

Binary Asylum were working on: Star Trek:New Worlds for DC ( a 3D, real-time stategy affair) for Virgin Interactive, but studio closed before it was finished.

Human Head promised a DC conversion of Rune would be following close behind the PC version. (The Viking game).

DreamcastRIP

You're inadvertently dredging up unfortunate memories for me of reading of these games in the DC magazines of the day with the subsequent disappointment of their no-show, RT.  :-
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Agartha [Dreamcast - Cancelled]

No Cliche's survival horror: Agartha.

*Update on DC Black And White:Sega's official statement was they were 'dissapointed at lack of progress being made' hence abandoning publishing deal.Lionhead meanwhile claimed they were planing to continue development of DC version whilst they found a publisher.

Europe never saw: D2 as it too lacked a publisher-comingin on 4 discs made it too costly, plus USA reviews not being too hot (saying game was too slow and plodding) might have been reason.

Nor did it see a MD collection similar to the US Smash Pack, though 1 was planned (it was to have SOR2, Golden Axe, Revenge Of Shinobi and more on it) but Sega Europe could'nt get 'clearance' as they put it, on some planned titles.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"You're inadvertently dredging up unfortunate memories for me of reading of these games in the DC magazines of the day with the subsequent disappointment of their no-show, RT.  :-

(Sadly) there's loads more yet to come.

When i see video of canned games or read up on what was planned and how DC's features would have been used, man...it's just tragic what befell the console.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"You're inadvertently dredging up unfortunate memories for me of reading of these games in the DC magazines of the day with the subsequent disappointment of their no-show, RT.  :-

When i see video of canned games or read up on what was planned and how DC's features would have been used, man...it's just tragic what befell the console.

Indeed. Released games such as Headhunter only hinted at what may have been possible were further generations of DC games released that built on existing knowledge in how best to exploit the hardware. Add in the subsequent advances in toolsets/development suites, middleware, etc., and it becomes all the more clear as to what could have been. Sigh...
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Another unreleased game for the Mega Drive / Genesis

The Swamp Thing [CANCELLED! Mega Drive / Genesis]

Any idea as to why this was cancelled?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Indeed. Released games such as Headhunter only hinted at what may have been possible were further generations of DC games released that built on existing knowledge in how best to exploit the hardware. Add in the subsequent advances in toolsets/development suites, middleware, etc., and it becomes all the more clear as to what could have been. Sigh...

Just looking at what developers had planned to do using the DC microphone or VMU in games, let alone the online aspect, proves to me, the potential of the Dreamcast was sadly never given a chance to be realised.

Calling for back-up, police chopper in a pursuit game, using the mic to give voice commands to your dog in Stampede, using the VMU as a 2nd screen etc etc, all planned possibilities, but never happened.

What innovations do i get in today's games? more Q.T.E boss fights and cutscenes...Bahhh!.

From a visual point of view, i've only to look at No Cliche's crack at survival horror, to see as a developer, they'd only just started to hit their stride.The dreamcast just needed a chance to get into a new wave of software to really show what was possible.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"

No idea, could have been pretty cool.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "TrekMD"

Company behind it, Nuvision had put out Bimini Run in 1990, but had Swamp Thing and Bean Ball Benny in development (both far from finished) down for a '91 release.

It looks like they ran out of cash, company was closed before either game could be completed and released.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Just looking at what developers had planned to do using the DC microphone or VMU in games, let alone the online aspect, proves to me, the potential of the Dreamcast was sadly never given a chance to be realised.

Calling for back-up, police chopper in a pursuit game, using the mic to give voice commands to your dog in Stampede, using the VMU as a 2nd screen etc etc, all planned possibilities, but never happened.

Precisely. But , hey, DVDs could be played on PS2, Xbox could rip CDs to its HDD and GameCube had its cute carry handle... so gamers evidently made the sensible choice in the end.

QuoteWhat innovations do i get in today's games? more Q.T.E boss fights and cutscenes...Bahhh!.

Levolution, mate. Levolution.  :43:

Rogue Trooper

To be 'fair' to the Xbox though, it had a HDD which developers could have used a damn sight more than they bloody well did and the Dolby 5.1 could have been used to better effect in many a game (Halo was fantastic played through it, as was Project Zero).

Gamers bought in hype of what PS2 would deliver, rather than what DC was delivering in terms of actual games.

As for the GC (well Panasonic Q had ability to play DVD's and looked smart, lol).a lot more could have been done with the GBA-GC link up i feel.Potential squandered there as well.

Little advances made in A.I for ages either (seem to recal early Next gen versions of Fifa on 3DO/PS1 etc were still using MD/SNES A.I routines!!, that's as bad as PS2 Gran Turismo using the PS1 A.I routines).

But it always seems developers unwilling to really tap into potential hardware offers.

Sega have said they 'went back' to developers time and time again and asked for features that used the VMU to be included in DC versions of games they made.

DreamcastRIP

Stop taking my jolly japes so literally, damn you!  :4:

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Stop taking my jolly japes so literally, damn you!  :24:

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Stop taking my jolly japes so literally, damn you!  :24:

Presumably because Christina Aguilera and Paris Hilton thought it'd look totally fabulous in a vacuous celebrity bint kinda way...

:43:

Rogue Trooper

Getting this back on topic :-)

Looked at few previews of M2 games in UK magazines:

Power Crystal looked good, talk of fully real-time enviroments, complex landscapes, all in-game characters rendered in polygons, lighting and texturing used to create atmosphere (for example a snowy village scene), but then i read said shots were in fact 'mock-ups', done in higher resolution than final game would of had, but using the same geometric detail and think...hmmmnnn

But on balance, game was being coded on unpowered dev.kits (still based around single Power PC 602 chipset instead of the dual configuration planned for production model M2)

Article also talked of rumour that Genki were working on a Panzer Dragoon style game for the system.