Altered Beast

Started by zapiy, March 27, 2011, 17:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Just found this on xbla. Wow it brought back some memories, must have played this for hours on my megadrive. Might have to dig it out.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

The Megadrive version gets a lot of stick but I still love it.

My favourite bit of speech is "Rise from your grave!"

TL

I came across this NES version recently, check out how terrible it is!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwmcQw9NRI

TL

Missing loads of versions like the Spectrum, Atari ST and PC Engine  :'(

Still quite cool though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTTR9zEU-I

Shadowrunner

Yup, that NES version sucks! LOL
I didn't even know they made an NES version, seems strange to release it on their competitors system.
The game was made by Sega wasn't it?

TL

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Yup, that NES version sucks! LOL
I didn't even know they made an NES version, seems strange to release it on their competitors system.
The game was made by Sega wasn't it?

Yeah I never understood that either. The NES also got a conversion of Afterburner and Space Harrier as the did the PC Engine , which also got Outrun and Golden Axe too.

onthinice

The reason I bought a Genesis when they first came out. Loved to play this in the arcades.

onthinice

I agree zapiy! At best maybe they could have done more compilation discs for the DreamCast.

TL

I think the biggest thing was not having a proper Sonic game for the Saturn.

They also should have been releasing more compilation discs with stuff like this on for the Saturn too.

In the west we only got Sega Ages Volume 1 with Outrun, Space Harrier and Afterburner on it and then they never did a vol. 2 or any others.

In Japan they got discs with stuff like Galaxy Force II, Power Drift, Flicky, Fantasy Zone, Columns, Pengo, Monaco GP, Castle Of Illusion, Phantasy Star etc.

TL

Rogue Trooper

I was 1st made aware of this game after reading the split (C64+Amiga) review in Zzap 64.Never bothered with it on C64 (or ST, which i upgraded to from C64), had no plans to get it on MD either, but i fell foul of 1 of those cart swapping firms (you sent your game with list of choices games you wanted to swap and payment etc) cannot recal what i sent in, but was damn sight better than Altered Beast which i was shocked to recive in return.

So no, not a fan-did give it a blast on Sega MD collection on PS3 a while back though.

TL

I split the Sega's downfall chat off into a new thread  :D

onthinice

I was not aware of these other versions. It is a good game that gets knocked to much.

Rogue Trooper

Thread Bump:

Anyone tried the Amiga version in 2-Player Mode?

According to Zzap 64's review, BOTH players looked indentical, leading to utter confusion during play.Facepalm if ever 1 was needed.

Crusto

I'm another one who doesn't get why the game got/gets so much stick. I used to enjoy it a lot, and the MD is a cracking conversion. Granted, it's very basic but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Bitches leave