Fighter Pilots needed in Sector Wars...

Started by PacManPlus, December 26, 2013, 16:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacManPlus

...play Astro BLASTER!

For the purists out there, I copied the sprites directly from the arcade game, as well as the movement tables.  I'm using 320A mode to get the look/feel down. The 'Fuel' gauge is the same as the arcade *divided by three* to fit on the line with the temperature gauge, which is *divided by two*.  All increments / decrements to both gauges have been adjusted appropriately, so they should work exactly like the arcade.

For the most part, the playfield is the same, except that I had to take one zone (i.e. 8 scanlines) away from under the ship (no biggie), and one zone away from the very top of the playfield.  On my TODO list:

- Enemies that drop in certain waves
- Hidden bonuses
- Sound
- Speech

Regarding the 'Speech', I will only implement speech at non-gameplay points (i.e. after losing a ship *2 ships remaining*, when the game has ended *play over*, etc.).  Any other important information (i.e. the Warp countdown) will be written on the screen behind the action.  I do plan to have the attract mode announcement (i.e. the title of this thread).

It was challenging getting (up to) 16 enemies, 6 enemy shots, 1 player shot and the player to update each frame during VBLANK, but I finally did it. Of course, it will use the HSC.

Screenshots and bins found here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219854-fighter-pilots-needed-in-sector-wars/

:)

Thank you,
Bob

TL

This really does look bloody fantastic, right up my street in fact!

I love space shooters so really can't wait to play this, top work again Bob - I will be sharing this elsewhere!

And for those who don't want to visit AA:

[align=center:18hh7qwz]

[/align:18hh7qwz]

TrekMD

Very nice, Bob!  Thanks for posting about the game!  I just downloaded the binaries.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Bloody great work Bob, one on my list to play thats for sure.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Be sure the check the thread over in Atari Age as updated ROM's have been posted.  The game just gets better and better.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC