SNES vs Sega Genesis/MegaDrive

Started by TrekMD, August 31, 2013, 15:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

All sound like very good reasons to prefer the MD.  I never had either console when they were first released and I still don't have an SNES, though I do play SNES game on my Retron N5. I do have a Genesis and I really like the system. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

AmigaJay

Yeah the true feeling of owning a system at the time of release, the vibe, buying games etc is ten fold over what someone thinks is a better system 25 years later on youtube or some blog.

That's why i only value people's opinions who went through a particular era with a system and can give reasons why, not just this is better.

Exactly why i don't listen to PC gamers because i know 90% of systems couldn't run Doom or Tie Fighters when they came out!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TrekMD

This thread is old but the guys from Game Sack have just published a new head to head video comparing the systems, so I figured I'd add it there.  :)

ArcadeAction

I mentioned this once before, but playing the Genesis / Mega Drive using HD Retrovision cables with component or an RGB connection is such a dramatic improvement over the poor composite output that the Genesis had in the USA in the 90s. It makes it feel like a fresh new system.

Back in the day I didn't give the Genesis much thought as all I could think about was 63 onscreen colors vs the SuperNES's 256. It seemed an open and shut case as to which was better... I wasn't aware of games on the Genesis that were as good as Zelda or Super Metroid, and the FX chip seemed much better than the VR Racing experience.

However, going back to the systems and viewing them on their own terms, I've really had a chance to get into some of the Genesis games. Streets of Rage 2 is an absolute master piece. It does what the system is capable of and does not try to use too much dithering. The sound is excellent as well. I highly recommend you connect your Genesis / Megadrive up to a good sound system with a subwoofer to really enjoy some of these games.

The large amount of parallax scrolling in Genesis games and the overall lack of slowdown is really a treasure to see and experience across the software library. I also didn't realize that the Sega CD not only has more storage and sound, but  there are additional effects/processing as well. The Batman game is quite well done. Connecting a mouse is also a nice way to play games like Rise of the Dragon etc.

TrekMD

So, you can just use those cables without modding the console?

ArcadeAction

Quote from: TrekMD on November 24, 2020, 04:19:17 AM
So, you can just use those cables without modding the console?

Yes, do yourself an absolute favor and buy the HD Retrovision cables for the Sega Genesis. They will plug right in and then you can connect your system to a CRT with component in. It looks incredible. The cables are about $60, BUT you can buy $10 adapters so you can use this same cable with the Saturn and PS1 as well, so it's very solid solution. If you have the Genesis Model 1 you will also need an $10 adapter as the cable itself is initially compatible with Model 2.

Definitely pick up on of these cables if you enjoy playing the Genesis and you are the USA where we didn't have SCART. No soldering or anything needed. I also recommend the cables that HD Retrovision makes for the SuperNES (which are different than the Genesis ones and also about $60).

Please use it on a CRT. The JVC D-Series a my favorite CRTs with component input and they have a slightly curved screen. They come in 20", 27" and 32" sizes. There are some good Toshibas and Philips also. I tend to stay away from Sonys as in the USA only flat screen CRTs had component in, and the Sonys often have poor geometry and warp the image when scrolling. Some are good though. Grab a couple good ones while they are still around.

TrekMD

Thanks for the info!  I have a Panasonic 27" CRT with a curved screen.

ArcadeAction

Quote from: TrekMD on November 24, 2020, 12:06:04 PM
Thanks for the info!  I have a Panasonic 27" CRT with a curved screen.

With component input, that should look very nice. Basically any component CRTs with slightly curved screens usually have a nice picture.

For a SuperNES game with some pretty great effects, check out Rendering Ranger.

onthinice

Thank you! I have been trying to research different HDMI cables and different views are always appreciated.

Still remember buying my first Genesis in 1990, actually the first console I ever bought with my own money. So Sega will always be my first choice for 16-bit gaming. But I do miss how each system was different enough that you wanted to own both. Throw Bonk in from the Turbo 16 and it was a gamers paradise in the '90s.