Evolution of Olympic and Multisport Games!

Started by TrekMD, August 31, 2013, 05:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

It's time to look at those games that offer more than one sport at a time.  Olympic Games, decathlons, and other multisport events.  What better way to start showing their evolution than by showing a variety of these games on the grandaddy of consoles...

[align=center:36pkk39i][size=180]Atari 2600[/size]

Video Olympics
Quick Clips - Atari 2600 - 010 - Video Olympics

Summer Games
Summer Games - Atari 2600 - 2600online.com

Winter Games
Let's Play Winter Games (Atari 2600)

Decathlon
Decathlon for the Atari 2600

Track & Field
Track and Field for Atari 2600[/align:36pkk39i]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

[align=center:3g7tf99l]You missed out the best one of the lot for the Atari 2600 . . . . .

California Games for the Atari 2600[/align:3g7tf99l]

TrekMD

I had that nagging feeling that something was missing!  Thanks!

TL

[align=center:etcns9wa][size=240]Atari ST[/size]

Alpine Games - By Atlantis

Ancient Games - By Energize

Arena - By Psygnosis

Buffalo Bill's Wild West Rodeo Games - By Tynesoft

California Games - By Epyx

California Games II - By Epyx

The Carl Lewis Challenge - By Psygnosis

Circus Attractions - By Rainbow Arts

Circus Games - By Tynesoft

Eskimo Games - By Magic Bytes

España - The Games '92 - By Ocean

The Games Summer Edition - By Epyx

The Games Winter Edition - By Epyx

Indoor Sports - By Databyte

International Sports Challenge - By Empire

ST Olympiad - By Atlantis

Summer Olympiad - By Tynesoft

Winter Games - By Epyx

Winter Olympiad - By Tynesoft

Winter Super Sports - By Flair Software

World Games - By Epyx

Summer Games - By Epyx [/align:etcns9wa]

TrekMD

[align=center:3jcgmkqb][size=180]Atari 7800[/size]

Winter Games
Atari 7800 - Winter Games

Summer Games

[size=180]Atari 5200[/size]

Decathlon
Decathlon (Atari 5200)[/align:3jcgmkqb]

onthinice

Mire Mare

C64 - Summer Games
I think this was first multi event sports game I ever played.  This is certainly the first time I was 'wowed' by athletic animation.
Commodore 64 - Epyx Summer Games (1984)

C64 - Activision Decathlon
A good game that made most events fun to play.  1500m used to destroy me though!  Shared joystick waggling, with close friends of course, was the way forward.

C64 Decathlon

I think these are impressive for 1984.  The gameplay of Summer Games still holds up too.

C64 - Western Games
An oddball of a game.  I bought this when I was a kid - the graphics looked awesome and the events sounded different and fun.  I didn't pay heed to the Zzap review, but got away with it.  Whilst not as classy as the EPYX sports games this was still pretty fun.
http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=2835
I couldn't find a c64 YT vid so this Amiga arm wrestling will have to do.
Amiga Western Games

C64 - Bad Cat
Another oddball collection of events starring a feline furball.  I stumbled across this whilst looking for Western Games.  I've never played it and judging by this video I never want to.  I could feel myself getting frustrated just watching!
BAD CAT RAINBOW ARTS COMMODORE 64 C64 GAME GAMEPLAY
Zzap Review - http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=34&page=75

Last one...
C64 - Combat School
Not a pure multi sports title but an evolution of multi events sports games for sure.  Participate in numerous training events, that have to be passed, before being plunged into 'live' mission to defeat terrorists and, I assume, rescue the president.  It's a game of two distinct halves - or 2/3s or something.  I used to be able to pass all the events and then fail at the beginning of the mission every time.  That was a long time ago.  I wonder how this holds up....
C64 Longplay - Combat School

TrekMD

Nice set of C64 games!  Now here are some of the...

[align=center:2g0nh7p1][size=180]Atari Lynx[/size]

California Games
Gameplay: California Games for Atari Lynx - Unreal 360

Alpine Games
Alpine Games [Duranik 2004] Atari Lynx[/align:2g0nh7p1]

Mire Mare

Quote from: "TrekMD"Nice set of C64 games!  Now here are some of the...

[size=180]Atari Lynx[/size]

California Games
Gameplay: California Games for Atari Lynx - Unreal 360
I may have :53: tints on but that's still my favourite version of Cal Games.

TrekMD

That was the first version of California Games I ever played and, to this day, remains my favorite!   I love doing the spins on the surfboard!  ;)

onthinice

Olympic and Multisport games always made me feel like the purchase was a good one. One bad event did not make a bad game.

Mire Mare

Quote from: "TrekMD"That was the first version of California Games I ever played and, to this day, remains my favorite!   I love doing the spins on the surfboard!  ;)
Totally!  If I remember correctly it was possible to jump so high that the surfer would go off the top of the screen.  I forget how many spins it was possible for me to successfully land but it was a plainly ridiculous number and incredible fun at the same time!

Mire Mare

Quote from: "onthinice"Olympic and Multisport games always made me feel like the purchase was a good one. One bad event did not make a bad game.
I challenge you to apply that rationale to this game multi event game, Icy baby!

World of Sports for the GX4000.  I fired this up just yesterday.  I was done with it after ooh 3 minutes.  :21:  Ok, there's a bit more game time to be had and what's there is pretty playable. But really, just 4 events!?  Come on!  Epyx World Games on the C64 had 8 brilliant events.  I'd have been fuming back in 1991 had I splashed £25 on this.  World of Sports could've been a jewel in the GX4000's cro.. .. ah.. .. the GX doesn't really have a crown.. umm... the raisin in the pudding then.  Or am I being too generous?  Anyway, this could've been a great game with masses of replay value.

Here are some snaps I took on my iPhone.  Excuse the quality and poor composition!

http://sdrv.ms/17jzCAW

Oh what could've been.....

[AMSTRAD GX4000] World Of Sports (Gameplay Run-through)

TrekMD

[align=center:1rwjlkgm][size=180]Intellivision[/size]

Super Pro Decathlon
Super Pro Decathlon Intellivision Gameplay[/align:1rwjlkgm]

onthinice

Heard a lot about this game. Never played it. Looks good but sounds painful using the standard Intellivision controller.