Homebrew Heroes feedback thread

Started by Greyfox, August 30, 2013, 19:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

Hello everyone,

I / We were meaning to do this a while ago, but only getting around to this now, we'd love to hear any feedback from our members here who bought Homebrew Heroes collectors magazine or friends who got it, what they thought of it?, what you thought of it, was it unqiue from what's out there? , would you like to see another one created ?, did you like the layouts?, did you like the reviews? Which article stood out the most to you? You get the idea ;)

TrekMD

There's some feedback that has been posted on G+ or other forums:

- Got my copy a week ago. Good read :-)

- It's very nicely put together -- it's a real shame this isn't coming to print. I'd love an actual magazine. ;) I liked the different background schemes on each article - it felt just like going back to the heydays of 16-bit gaming and reading the big mags.

I disagreed with some of the top tens, but that's a normal result of publishing a top ten list, so I won't go into that. I would comment that some of the commercial games that were "finished" felt to me like they didn't belong on a homebrew top ten list. ;) And the art gallery was very cool to see (although several of them looked to be just dithered pics from the web - but you can't vet every artist every time! ;) )

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Nice to hear some love for my Demoscene article, he's or she is a person after the same heart, nice little write too, thanx for sharing that with us.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Greyfox"...thanx for sharing that with us.

You're welcome!  :) 

TrapZZ

This is the first I've heard about your publication, I'd love to check it out - can you shoot me a link?
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

TrapZZ

...and I'm an idiot, I just noticed it as a sticky on the Forums - I guess I missed it because I usually just look at New Posts.   I'll go there.
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

TrekMD

I just sent you the link by PM but you've already found it.  :)

Alberto 2K

I think is a cool magazine, it has lots of info about systems I don't have much idea and makes me want to buy a lot of them. :113:
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Greyfox

Thanks very much Alberto 2K for your feedback and honest review of the magazine.

anyone else had a chance to read it, maybe share your thoughts on it here, we really do appreciate any feedback that will allow us to evolve with any future issues planned

again thanks to all who have read it and taken the time to share with us here.

Shadowrunner

I thought I had said something but maybe that was in a different thread.
Anyway, I really enjoyed this. Well written and very professional looking. Also discovered some games I'd never heard of before so that was cool. The only possible complaint I could have is no print copy, but I understand that's not an easy thing to do.
Overall great job to everyone involved  :)

Rogue Trooper

With huge thanks to Greyfox+Laird for making my JPEG version happen, thought i'd start to leave inital feedback.

Now as they both know, design wise i was'nt biggest fan of the cover, little too 'busy' for my personal tastes and bearing in mind i'm reading pages in totally random order, 1st feature i hit on was the 2600 homebrew games, which whilst i loved the information on, dif find a little hard on the eyes as the brown, woodgrain backdrop was'nt ideal for text and personally felt too many games fighting for space.

However, from there on in, my jaw has been pretty much on the floor and staying there...

Crisp, vibrant page design, loving the gorgeous look to the console tech spec features (seen DC, Intellivision, Colecovision etc so far).They really stand out from various mainstream publications i still purchase and give the magazine a true sense of identity.

The articles themselves, well knew i was going to love the Atari+DC homebrew stuff and was not dissapointed (kudos to Laird for pointing out just why the 7800 did'nt have it's Pokey chip onboard-there was'nt room once the 2600 chips were onboard) and with the DC, the 7800, the XE and 2600 articles, you can just tell the pieces were written by gamers passionaite about the hardware and gaming in general and they really knew their stuff.Very refreshing, as folks will know, judging by my past rants on here, i loathe poorly researched/written articles in professional publications.

Will post more as i dive deeper in, but so far? my outmost respect goes out to ALL those involved, you've delivered something to be very proud of.

Oh and loved interviews with Superfighter teametc.

Also, Grey pulled off a minor wonder, for someone like myself who's not a fan of busy images, he had me loving the 20 years of Psytronik Software ad.

TL

The adverts were done by the individual companies not us so I will pass that onto Kenz when I see him next week.

Really glad you liked it so far  :113:

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"The adverts were done by the individual companies not us so I will pass that onto Kenz when I see him next week.

Really glad you liked it so far  :113:

I call a spade a spade as you guys well know, but this is the 1st publication in so many years, i'm just loving to read, i mean i just knew the Atari stuff was in safe hands as i've very much enjoyed your works for RG, but the DC homebrew was superb, loved the Coleco feature, the Vectrex feature etc,

Came to the Extreme Home Computing, thought, ok, will give it a shot, not my thing...next thing i know, finished entire piece and loved it.

For me as well as the visual I.D the magazine seems to have and the well written articles, it's the way in which it's all put together, the interviews mixed in with the features add so much, i've learnt stuff on subjects i was previousily pretty sure i knew my stuff on (7800, never even heard of Lynx Yastuna games) and it's just so refreshing to read a magazine and not be rolling my eyes thinking:that was'nt how events turned out...or writer clearly does'nt have a scooby what they are writing on...

Yes, there are a few busy images i'd tidy up, but then i move onto the Lynx or Jaguar tech spec pages and ahhh clinical greatness.

I've wanted a magazine like this for sooo many years, not something thing looks and reads like it's rivials or has content geared towards pleasing advertisers, but by people who poured heart and soul into it, are willing to listen to grumbly old farts like myself.

it's basically sent a very clear mesage out that there is still a place for publications like this, yes a physical copy would have been fantastic, but i'd shudder at printing costs for such a content heavy publication.

I'm struggling to find things to moan about to be honest :-).

At a time i'm cancelling magazine subs one by one, Homebrew Heroes has been a massive shot in the arm and i feel desrves to do well.

TrekMD

Thanks for the feedback, RT!  Glad you like the magazine.  It's unfortunate that sales have stagnated because it really is a well written volume.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "TrekMD"Thanks for the feedback, RT!  Glad you like the magazine.  It's unfortunate that sales have stagnated because it really is a well written volume.

Honestly, if i thought it were awful (and indeed if i find anything i don't like, i'll be open with you guys and tell you), i'd happily say so, but fact is, it's delivered way above expectations.

I'm really struggling to get my head around just why such a superb production just has'nt taken off, sales wise.

I've grown so used to skimming through magazines that fell through the letter box, looking for an article of interest, finding the same tired old content,, served up in same tired old format, same old P.R releases dressed up as content etc etc, to use a cliche, so far H.H has honestly been: All killer and no filler!!!.

It's amazed and delighted, where as just skimming through another Retro publication whilst on the loo, i was amazed for all the wrong reasons-Red Dead Redemption get's 2 pages in a Retro magazine? absurd!, so you guys should be bloody proud of what you've put in.

Please don't feel poorer than expected sales reflects on quality of publication-there's no accounting for buying public, but for those of us who have bought magazine, you've done great.