New Atari 2600 Homebrew - Desert Bus

Started by TrekMD, August 22, 2013, 03:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

It appears the de-make bug has hit more developers and a new demake is making an appearance.  The game is Desert Bus, a bus simulator where you must drive to Las Vegas at 45 mph for a total of 8 hours!  Yes, you must play the game for 8 hours straight if you want to finish it.  The original game was developed on the Sega Mega CD.  You can read more about the game at RetroCollect:  Sega Mega CD's Infamous Penn & Teller's Smoke And Mirrors: Desert Bus Ported To The Atari 2600.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure about this game.  Has anyone played the Mega CD version?

[align=center:1zatss1f]Desert Bus 2600 Final Build[/align:1zatss1f]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

I've never had the misfortune of playing the original but I have heard it described as the worst game ever made! I always thought the game was unreleased but I could be wrong.

TrekMD

Alberto 2K

C'mon, 8 hours of a human life playing this??? :28:
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Alberto 2K"I don't think I could play it more than a couple of minutes, there's not even traffic... :4:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

:21:

Well, do you want to "drive" a bus for 8 hours to make it to a destination while sitting for those 8 hours in front of your TV?  You can't let go of the controller or you'll be stuck in the sand! 

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Quote from: "TrekMD"8)

:24:

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "TrekMD":102:

I would need at least 2 litres of Monster or Red Bull to play it but then I wouldn't sleep in a whole week... :40:

I'm not trying to bash this game or the dev as I know it's needed a lot of work and I respect it but man, games need to have something addictive to hook you to the screen...

TrekMD

Oh, I understand exactly how you feel Alberto.  I see this game as a curiosity that someone developed for the 2600.  It's more of a collectible because of what it is.

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "TrekMD"Oh, I understand exactly how you feel Alberto.  I see this game as a curiosity that someone developed for the 2600.  It's more of a collectible because of what it is.
Thanks, I don't want to sound disrespectful at all!

TL

TrekMD

Here is the latest update about the game:

Howdy Ladies and Gents!
It's been a hot minute since I've been on (I've been swamped with work) but I wanted to give you all an update. The last of the proto-boards are in and have been built as a final small set of proto-carts (The only difference is the PCB).

Here's a pic of one of the final proto carts.
[align=center:18el2lg5][/align:18el2lg5]

That being said, I have ordered all the parts and I've gotten word that it all has shipped. Hopefully I'll have more info next week when I hopefully get the PCBs in. Once I verify the PCB lot is good I will open up a cart pre-order page for those of you who are interested.

Also to clarify, on the 'limitedness' of the game. We've created a limited number of PCBs/labels for this release because we weren't sure what the reception was going to be and it has honestly floored us with all of your enthusiasm, hence us wanting to take it further with the shirts and boxed versions but once we run out of our supplies that's it. We started with carts because we weren't sure if the interest was there for a boxed version and it's more budget conscious for the title.

TrekMD

Just a quick update.  The boxed version of Desert Bus for the 2600 is now available for preorder.  Details can be found in Atari Age:  PRE-ORDER: Desert Bus 2600 Boxed Edition.  A discounted preorder price is being offered to Atari Age members until January 15.

[align=center:vh1tqv0k][/align:vh1tqv0k]

zapiy

Really would love to start collecting these.. Way to many others on the go though.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC