PC version of CoD: Ghosts to crap all over 'next-gen' consol

Started by DreamcastRIP, August 18, 2013, 07:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"http://kotaku.com/infinity-ward-pc-call-of-duty-will-look-better-than-ne-1154125840?rev=1376664151

Just thought to post that because,

* I know how much love there is on RVG for the Call of Duty series  ::) :24:

Think they could of used some more headline space or at least just changed it a little, now if i were doing it, i'd go with:

'PC version of new Call Of Duty to be crap, despite looking better than next-gen, console versions as you'd hope, as it's running on newer, more expensive hardware, but next-gen console versions to be crap, as will Wii U version, because the series is crap and the only crap they could think of was putting in a dog (crap) and female soldiers (also crap), but even though it's still crap on PC, PC owners will say LOL, our crap looks way better than your crap, without realising the irony'.

Not as catchy, i'll grant you, but......

Besides, the bloody engine for supposed 'Next-Gen' COD has'nt even been written from scratch, it's just a tweaked version of the old crap.

Crap basically......

:-)

I'm looking forward to sites that feel need to point out to me that PC games using newer, more powerful technology than that found in the fixed hardware machines like Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, will (gasp) look better than said consoles, printing some further ground breaking headlines, how long must i wait before such groundbreaking news as:

Night follows day!-Full report and pictures inside.

What goes up, must come down-we've the exclusive report.

If the readership has'nt quite grasped that a console with a 10 year? life span, set hardware which was put down months ago, is'nt going to compete visually in long term with an upgradable, designed to be future-proof (pretty much), new cards coming out every 6 months or so system, then it's little wonder they are looking forward to paying through the nose for a new COD game.How long before the older COD maps are released as paid for DLC (Retro map packs) on new COD i wonder......

I give you the internet and modern gaming.

DreamcastRIP

Funny... but one won't need a PC with "newer" hardware or an insanely expensive GPU (read: Titan) to outdo what the 'next-gen' console versions of this game will look like. A decent-ish GPU and CPU combo that have been on the market for a considerable period of time now would outgun Sony and Microsoft's respective consolised mid-range PCs masquerading as 'next-gen' technology.

To your CoD hate I say... pffft! :4:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Funny... but one won't need a PC with "newer" hardware or an insanely expensive GPU (read: Titan) to outdo what the 'next-gen' console versions of this game will look like. A decent-ish GPU and CPU combo that have been on the market for a considerable period of time now would outgun Sony and Microsoft's respective consolised mid-range PCs masquerading as 'next-gen' technology.

To your CoD hate I say... pffft! :4:

I've bought over the years:

PC COD+exp pack.

Xbox COD:Finest Hour, COD 3.

PS3 COD3, MW, MW2, MW3, COD:WOW+COD Classic PSN

360 COD 2+mate lent me Black Op's.

So i've spent my time+money, series run it's course, hell run aground.

Last night i was reading up on:

Qwak 1982 prototype Atari coin-op, used touch screen technology.This is Atari 1982, years before Nintendo with DS or Sony with Vita tried telling me they had 'next-gen' concepts for gaming.

Then interview with Rebellion on how they looked at using the Lynx as a motion tracker in Jaguar AVP, yes that's console-portable link-up ideas looked at years before Nintendo were f-ing about with GBA-GC or Sony with PSP-PS2/PS3 link up.

So when Nintendo, MS or Sony start screaming 'next-gen' concepts in my direction, i just roll my eyes.

It's next-gen console technology, but using off the shelf PC parts was sneered at by Sony when Sega used it with DC (which was probably also outdated soon after launch in terms of PC tech) and now look at them.MS been using it for years ever since the Xbox (who's specs they down-graded before realising), so i'm not too keen on another round of marketing B.S from either camp.

If i were Sony, i'd be doing some serious shouting that they've upgraded their servers and then some as online gaming now locked behind a paid-for firewall on PS4 and it's all very well and good boasting about PS4's online side, but lets see the infastructure you've put in place 1st.

Plus PSN store is a fucking joke!.I recently been given some PSN points, so trotted off to saud store to find games i thought i'd try before i buy.Finding anything i wanted was a venture in itself, but so few had demos!.Came away fucked right off, points as of yet unspent.

Never mind next-gen, Sony needs to sort out this sodding gen.

Rogue Trooper

:-) Been reading a few posts on various forums after developer annouced the key thing that will set 'next gen' versions (PC, PS4+Xbox One) of new COD apart from current gen.versions (PS3/360) is use of 'Dynamic Lighting'.apparently the version shown on the trailers is said to be on a 'high end' PC, but lot of COD fans struggling to see any real improvements on existing engine.

Is this a reflection on the 'new' engine or games target market, not really giving a fig for buzz words like 'Dynamic Lighting' and struggling to see what it's added?  Lol.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Is this a reflection on the 'new' engine or games target market, not really giving a fig for buzz words like 'Dynamic Lighting' and struggling to see what it's added?  Lol.

A bit of both I suspect.

Part of the challenge for Sony and Microsoft in showcasing the improvements for 'next-gen' gaming this time out is that such things as more advanced physics aren't easy to observe when watching a game trailer.

As for improved lighting, higher resolution textures, et al, then unless one is viewing gameplay trailers in full 1080p on a decent-sized screen then those enhanced visuals won't be so easy to observe either.

As for stereotypical CoD gamers then all Activision need to do is ensure next-gen CoD features super uber 4D 7:1 surround sound ultra HD audio so they can be damn sure other players hear them properly when calling them a c*nt or a f*ggot or questioning their parentage and sexuality...  :21:

Rogue Trooper

Was talking to mate of mine yesterday about chap i worked with/he still does, who's a massive COD fan.Said chap now sports a tatoo reflecting a love of the series, on his neck.

An emblem of his clan or from the game perhaps? err no...the barcode (inc numbers) from the disc case of his copy of MW3!!!!.

We also jested about how he'd come in saying howlater MW games had now got map packs from earlier instalment on sale (he'd bought of course) and we'd be like WTF? if you wanted to play those maps, why not just fire up earlier game?.

Yep it's going to be really hard to explain to a lot of my console owning friends just what the newer graphics engines are doing, as they are expecting the same sort of leap they got going from PS2 to PS3/360 and HDTV's via HDMI replacing SD and Scart.

Ain't going to happen.

zapiy

I think the leap will happen, i already see it. Most console owners will not care how good a PC version is though.. I guess they would have switched on, played a few mulitplayer rounds before PC gamers had even got the game going lol..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "zapiy"...Most console owners will not care how good a PC version is though.. I guess they would have switched on, played a few mulitplayer rounds before PC gamers had even got the game going lol..

Now there's retro thinking in action!  :4: