Utilite

Started by Havantgottaclue, July 16, 2013, 19:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havantgottaclue

Here's another $99 box of joy. Utilite (rubbish name, innit?) is a teeny-weeny computer based around a quad-core ARM CPU that is touting itself as being ready for the full desktop experience, courtesy of the ARM iteration of Ubuntu Linux.

I quite like the look of it, I must say, although it may be my inner pointless junk-amassing neurosis that is triggering my interest here. I would quite like to get a cheap one, jam a little SSD in it and set it up to dual-boot Ubuntu and Android, but why? I really don't know.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/15/meet-utilite-a-99-quad-core-arm-based-pc-running-ubuntu/

TrekMD

These things keep popping up left and right.  Oh, and Havantgottaclue, I can certainly understand your desire to have it dual boot!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Does look neat, is it getting a UK release?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Havantgottaclue

Quote from: "Utilite's website"Utilite will be available through CompuLab's worldwide distribution channel and through direct sales.

CompuLab expects to start accepting orders for Utilite in August 2013.

The same webpage indicates that they are looking for distributors and OEMs to partner up with them, so it could conceivably end up being stocked in your local PC store. Or it could end up fizzling out without a trace. I do think that there is mileage in this marketplace which is untapped. There is simply so much you can do with a low power, small form factor (in this case incredibly small) computer these days. This little box would be the ideal HTPC, as long as you have some network or cloud storage, or perhaps a big USB hard drive. Or of course, there are the various streaming options. It could function as a MAME box, even better if someone compiles Groovy Arcade for ARM devices.

10 years ago, this would all have required some whopping great big tower to do. Nowadays, you get machines like this that will fit in your pocket and only consume 8W under load.

Mind you, I doubt whether the quad core version will be sold for $99 - there are single and dual core machines being sold as well, with $99 being the price for the most basic version.

The Utilite site is here, for those who've not already found it: http://utilite-computer.com/web/home

dougtitchmarsh

Like you, Havantgottaclue, I want one of these and yet can see no useful purpose for it in my life. I did notice a small gap in my cupboard between the RaspberryPi and the MiniITX powered NESPC where it would fit perfectly, and as the cupboard is barely ever opened it wouldn't even get too dusty.  :43:
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Gorf

Let's see how the OUYA does...this will probably set the stage for the success or the failure of the rest of these little piles of shit. The first one of these boxes that included a C/C++ dev kit, will be the winner. A mistake the OUYA made from the get go.

Alberto 2K

I'm overwhelmed, too many new consoles... I don't know which one I will pick, I suppose I'll wait to see the games for them to decide...
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!