Author Topic: What do you miss from classic gaming?  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
Re: What do you miss from classic gaming?
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2013, 04:09:34 AM »
Well....nobody deserves the moniker of Mr. Simple as do I when it comes to how I like my games, but
games like W3D, Doom and Quake series needed these extra controls. But outside of these, I can't think
of many others that are appealing. I believe that is because the one lasting beauty of the id games is that
though you had more controls, the games are still keep it simple stupid in game play. So though I dig a
joystick with a fire button more than not, there are a few games out there that the extra controller
buttons/ keys what have you are certainly useful and actually add to the experience.

Of course there are the Jag games like the Morph's, IS's, HS, BS and MC3D to mention a few. Those had
complex control schemes but they had game play to make it worth while, while still remaining reasonably
simple play elements.

Today you've got these games like Call of Duty, Halo and all those, that are amazing simulations but are
just too complex for me to consider them games. I don't need a 6 month boot camp training just to enjoy
software for my overly priced (what is supposed to be a) game system.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
Control schemes have ruined games like Tomb Raider (PS1), Darksiders (PS3), Command+Conq. (N64) and Metroid Prime (G.C) and hampered my enjoyment of Alien Res.PS1.

If i'm wrestling just to aim, walk in a straight line, lock on to a bosses weak points or what ever, i'm not going to be sat there thinking that i'm going to be spending hours getting more and more pissed off, rather than see everything game has to offer.

So developers, what happens is, i turn game off, put in another, never buy a sequel from you etc, so your loosing sales by not getting the basics right.

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2013, 03:35:08 AM »
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Control schemes have ruined games like Tomb Raider (PS1), Darksiders (PS3), Command+Conq. (N64) and Metroid Prime (G.C) and hampered my enjoyment of Alien Res.PS1.

If i'm wrestling just to aim, walk in a straight line, lock on to a bosses weak points or what ever, i'm not going to be sat there thinking that i'm going to be spending hours getting more and more pissed off, rather than see everything game has to offer.

So developers, what happens is, i turn game off, put in another, never buy a sequel from you etc, so your loosing sales by not getting the basics right.

For some reason, I think a lot of developers equate complex controls with fun game.
[size=240]BZZZZZT! Sorry, but that answer is incorrect![/size]
Make the bloody friggin game fun for crying out loud! Don't make me have to think
too hard for goodness sake. I can do that crap at work you bloody A-HOLES!!!! Sheesh!!!!

Whew....ok....I feel a little better now.  :35:

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2013, 04:49:57 AM »
I think the last time I played a game where the controls were just so complicated I couldn't be bothered to play it anymore was Grand Theft Auto 4. It didn't help that GTA4 was boring as shit. I put about a half hour into it, turned the game off, and never looked back.

I have the same issue with most flight simulators, even stuff like Wing Commander. You basically CAN'T play those sorts of games on a keyboard, or else you'll have to cram over the quick reference card like you're studying for a frickin' final exam.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk