What do you miss from classic gaming?

Started by Bobinator, August 03, 2013, 00:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "TrapZZ"Neat, thanks for the recommendation.

I'll second that Dark Souls recommendation. I'm playing it right now and getting close to the end. It's been an incredible adventure!!!

As for what I miss, I miss the days when anybody and everybody was either releasing a console or a add on for a console. Back in the early 90's there was always something new coming out and while many of them failed it was still a very exciting time.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Another one:

High Scores - I know that there are plenty of indie games and downloads out there that still rely on/feature high scores and high score tables but it seems that scores are not as important as they once were. There was a time when all games were about was getting the high score, nowadays a lot of games don't even have scores anymore!

Trophies and Gamer score are sadly seen as the new High scores, but pale next to the importance of beating your mates highscores.Thank goodness plenty of PSN/XBLA games i've bought have online score tables.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Mire Mare"Loading screens and the music.  I can remember looking forward to seeing what amazing image the computer could display whilst it was busy loading a game and regularly being impressed with what my c64 could do.

I was going to add loading times as something I missed.  It was sometimes the only time for a few hours I would go and get something to eat and drink.  A bowl of Wotsits and fizzy pop would always go down well :)  But, since. Got a Wii U I've got time to make a brew while some games load.

We PS3 owners can often cook a small meal whilst waiting for MGS 4 to instal (least it does it all in 1 go now, but bloody hell!)

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "TrapZZ"Cool thread!

What I miss most is being thrown into a game with little instructions, no map, and having to use my head to figure it out.

With current games they throw you in and you get: A Forced tutorial, achievements for every little thing you do, a map or some other form of guidance that takes away from the "where the hell am I" feel.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but all this hand-holding of most modern games drives me crazy.

Hacker was mentioned here the other day, now there was a gem on C64, just a screen with Login:

Sat there and i had no idea what to do, soon figured it out, but these days when game gives you a trophy or gamerscore for following a tutorial through to the end? forget it.

If your a PS3 owner Demon's and Dark souls are indeed the games for you.Ohh they'll hold your hand, but only once they've cut it clean off your wrist and you'll know it was your fault as you rushed in, did'nt prepare for the encounter etc.

Huge part of the 2 Soul's games for myself was just that aspect of venturing into the unknown, knowing death was a mere heartbeat away and you had but 1 chance to reclaim your lost souls once you died.Feck it up on way back-they are gone forever.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "tomwaits"Simplify.

Oversimplification!   :24:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "tomwaits"
Quote from: "Mire Mare"A lot of what we think is 'missing' probably isn't. The volume and variety of games, and hardware on which to play those games, certainly far outweighs my knowledge of the modern gaming picture. The mainstream simply clouds the view.

Definitely agree. There are plenty of classic style games on all the modern platforms, they're just not the games that the mainstream audience is playing. You can class them as 'exceptions', but classic style/retro inspired/game-like gaming is the majority of my game libraries on the modern consoles.

I agree. Hence why in my post I avoided making a sweeping statement in reference to all games and instead referenced football games.

I'd love it if FIFA and PES had an extra mode, called something like 'arcade' mode maybe, where the controls were simplified. The game/s would, when playing that mode, be more easily accessible, i.e. more akin to an arcade-like experience. I'd enjoy having the choice.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mire Mare

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "The Laird"Another one:

High Scores - I know that there are plenty of indie games and downloads out there that still rely on/feature high scores and high score tables but it seems that scores are not as important as they once were. There was a time when all games were about was getting the high score, nowadays a lot of games don't even have scores anymore!

Trophies and Gamer score are sadly seen as the new High scores, but pale next to the importance of beating your mates highscores.Thank goodness plenty of PSN/XBLA games i've bought have online score tables.
Totally - online highscore tables are great.  I admit to having been very competitive on a number of XBLA games.  A - be the top of my friends highscore table and B - to be as high as possible in the overall rankings.  Purely for my own benefit (ego ;) ) of course. 

I don't have so much time to be able to spend hours honing skills and learning patterns or ways to increase scores any more.  I've been playing Renegade Ops on the 360, a great twin stick shooter, but I can't get near the top scores in my friend list!

Mire Mare

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "Mire Mare"Loading screens and the music.  I can remember looking forward to seeing what amazing image the computer could display whilst it was busy loading a game and regularly being impressed with what my c64 could do.

I was going to add loading times as something I missed.  It was sometimes the only time for a few hours I would go and get something to eat and drink.  A bowl of Wotsits and fizzy pop would always go down well :21: I have heard about the PS3 but I've not experienced owning one.

Mire Mare

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Quote from: "Mire Mare"A lot of what we think is 'missing' probably isn't. The volume and variety of games, and hardware on which to play those games, certainly far outweighs my knowledge of the modern gaming picture. The mainstream simply clouds the view.

Definitely agree. There are plenty of classic style games on all the modern platforms, they're just not the games that the mainstream audience is playing. You can class them as 'exceptions', but classic style/retro inspired/game-like gaming is the majority of my game libraries on the modern consoles.

I agree. Hence why in my post I avoided making a sweeping statement in reference to all games and instead referenced football games.

I'd love it if FIFA and PES had an extra mode, called something like 'arcade' mode maybe, where the controls were simplified. The game/s would, when playing that mode, be more easily accessible, i.e. more akin to an arcade-like experience. I'd enjoy having the choice.
That wasn't a swipe DC just a generalisation I was thinking about after reading your post.  You sound defensive!

As for the latest footy games including 'Fifa Arcade' or 'One button' PES... .. . well, that would be epic and would make those games an instant buy for me. 

Similarly, I was delighted to learn that EA have included NHL94(93?) in the next NHL game so I'll be picking up NHL14 when it comes out and having a good ol' nostalgia fix.

Vyothric

Technically I don't miss anything because I only play old games.

Gorf

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Gaming by the simple for the simple!  :24:

.....you forgot.....from the simple minded.

TL

Quote from: "Vyothric"Technically I don't miss anything because I only play old games.

Great answer  :21:

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Mire Mare"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

That wasn't a swipe DC just a generalisation I was thinking about after reading your post.  You sound defensive!

As for the latest footy games including 'Fifa Arcade' or 'One button' PES... .. . well, that would be epic and would make those games an instant buy for me. 

Similarly, I was delighted to learn that EA have included NHL94(93?) in the next NHL game so I'll be picking up NHL14 when it comes out and having a good ol' nostalgia fix.

No worries, MM!

Fascinating news there re: EA's next NHL game. The last EA NHL game that I've played which I truly enjoyed was NHL Hockey '94 on the Mega-CD. If they add online multiplayer then I'll be sorely tempted to buy it.  :1:

Bobinator

And if you allow iPhone/Android games to be classified as modern gaming, 95% of the library are about getting scores. A lot of them are usually 'endless' style games, too.

Gorf

Quote from: "Bobinator"And if you allow iPhone/Android games to be classified as modern gaming, 95% of the library are about getting scores. A lot of them are usually 'endless' style games, too.

Therein lies the hope for this new little square....at least from my point of view.