Author Topic: What do you miss from classic gaming?  (Read 6487 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: What do you miss from classic gaming?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 00:11:35 AM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
And if you allow iPhone/Android games to be classified as modern gaming, 95% of the library are about getting scores. A lot of them are usually 'endless' style games, too.

True enough, shame 95% of touch screen games are unplayable shit! :3:

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 02:23:10 AM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
And if you allow iPhone/Android games to be classified as modern gaming, 95% of the library are about getting scores. A lot of them are usually 'endless' style games, too.

95%? You are being quite generous. I've yet to find one that is worth shit.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 02:44:06 AM »

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 02:53:47 AM »
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

True enough, shame 95% of touch screen games are unplayable shit! :24:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 02:54:11 AM »
Ok....i'll correct that statement I made a post back...card games are fine with Touch screens....but that is about all I can think of.

Offline TrapZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "TrapZZ"
Cool thread!

What I miss most is being thrown into a game with little instructions, no map, and having to use my head to figure it out.

With current games they throw you in and you get: A Forced tutorial, achievements for every little thing you do, a map or some other form of guidance that takes away from the "where the hell am I" feel.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but all this hand-holding of most modern games drives me crazy.

Hacker was mentioned here the other day, now there was a gem on C64, just a screen with Login:

Sat there and i had no idea what to do, soon figured it out, but these days when game gives you a trophy or gamerscore for following a tutorial through to the end? forget it.

If your a PS3 owner Demon's and Dark souls are indeed the games for you.Ohh they'll hold your hand, but only once they've cut it clean off your wrist and you'll know it was your fault as you rushed in, did'nt prepare for the encounter etc.

Huge part of the 2 Soul's games for myself was just that aspect of venturing into the unknown, knowing death was a mere heartbeat away and you had but 1 chance to reclaim your lost souls once you died.Feck it up on way back-they are gone forever.

Yes!  I was the one that posted the Hacker screenshot :)  (At least I'm consistent with my likes!)  I'll definitely have to check out Dark Souls after all these recommendations.
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
Another thing I miss is beautiful hand drawn art work:

Well maybe not all of it . . . . . .

Offline Mire Mare

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 13:35:42 PM »
:113:
Quote from: "Gorf"
Ok....i'll correct that statement I made a post back...card games are fine with Touch screens....but that is about all I can think of.
Not a fan of point & click adventure games, Gorf?. Simon the Sorcerer, Broken Sword, Year Walk, Genini Rue, Monkey Island?  Touch screens are the most 'natural' environment for these games.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 14:49:50 PM »
Well maybe not all of it . . . . . .

:24:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 19:12:25 PM »
Quote from: "Mire Mare"
Loading screens and the music.  I can remember looking forward to seeing what amazing image the computer could display whilst it was busy loading a game and regularly being impressed with what my c64 could do.

I was going to add loading times as something I missed.  It was sometimes the only time for a few hours I would go and get something to eat and drink.  A bowl of Wotsits and fizzy pop would always go down well :21: I have heard about the PS3 but I've not experienced owning one.

MGS 4 was 1 of the early PS3 instal games and by god the worst, just so Hideo can indulge his failed film maker wank fest ideas.Cutscenes within cutscenes with thier own cut scenes? hell no!.

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 19:23:20 PM »
:113:
Quote from: "Gorf"
Not a fan of point & click adventure games, Gorf?. Simon the Sorcerer, Broken Sword, Year Walk, Genini Rue, Monkey Island?  Touch screens are the most 'natural' environment for these games.

I'm sure they may be but as you guessed, not at all a fan. Games should be fun...these types of games require
way too much cogitation .... I do plenty of that when coding and at work and when I want to chill, mindless shooters
are the way to go for me.

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 19:24:45 PM »
MGS 4 was 1 of the early PS3 instal games and by god the worst, just so Hideo can indulge his failed film maker wank fest ideas.Cutscenes within cutscenes with thier own cut scenes? hell no!.

LOL! I concur whole heartedly.  :4:

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 20:29:57 PM »

OK, I can't NOT look at that and not imagine the guy going "BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH" at the top of his lungs.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 20:33:07 PM »
Believe it or not there is a slight variation of that cover that looks even more camp!!!!

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 22:44:39 PM »
Cool thread!

What I miss most is being thrown into a game with little instructions, no map, and having to use my head to figure it out.

With current games they throw you in and you get: A Forced tutorial, achievements for every little thing you do, a map or some other form of guidance that takes away from the "where the hell am I" feel.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but all this hand-holding of most modern games drives me crazy.

Hacker was mentioned here the other day, now there was a gem on C64, just a screen with Login:

Sat there and i had no idea what to do, soon figured it out, but these days when game gives you a trophy or gamerscore for following a tutorial through to the end? forget it.

If your a PS3 owner Demon's and Dark souls are indeed the games for you.Ohh they'll hold your hand, but only once they've cut it clean off your wrist and you'll know it was your fault as you rushed in, did'nt prepare for the encounter etc.

Huge part of the 2 Soul's games for myself was just that aspect of venturing into the unknown, knowing death was a mere heartbeat away and you had but 1 chance to reclaim your lost souls once you died.Feck it up on way back-they are gone forever.

Yes!  I was the one that posted the Hacker screenshot :)  (At least I'm consistent with my likes!)  I'll definitely have to check out Dark Souls after all these recommendations.

Yes, do so at once! That and Demons Souls are both fantastic titles that pose a real challenge, the risk/reward factor is excellent. And the online element is unique. You can't go wrong imo.
Bitches leave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk