Author Topic: What do you miss from classic gaming?  (Read 6496 times)

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
What do you miss from classic gaming?
« on: August 03, 2013, 00:36:12 AM »
Gaming's changed a lot lately, as I'm sure you all know. And I'm sure you can all agree it hasn't always been for the better. So what I'm asking is, what parts of classic gaming do you miss that you just don't see anymore? Here's mine:

1. Boss fights. I really, really love boss fights, if they're done well. Sometimes they can be the highlight of a game, sometimes theyy can make up the big majority of a game. I could think of a million good examples. Problem is, lately apparently they're too "video gamey" for a modern "cinematic experience", so when they DO happen, they tend to be incredibly short and easy. Or they're just one big QTE. I don't care if they're "video gamey", they're fun and I miss them.

The exceptions: Sonic Generations, any game by Platinum (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising), Batman: Arkham City

2. Cheat codes. I'm not JUST talking the standard 'invicibility/level select/what have you' codes, here, I'm fine with cosmetic stuff like big head mode. But that would ruin the challenge of getting all them cheevos, so here we are. And when they ARE in, the game makes you pay for them, like The Godfather on the 360.

The exceptions: Batman Arkham City has a big head cheat code. This pleases me. The Saint's Row games also have a ton of cheats.

3. Split screen multiplayer. Playing with your friends is fun, even when it's on a tiny corner of the screen you can barely see. But, alas, if you play it that way, you can't make your friends buy three other copies of the game, so have fun forcing your friends to stay home while you play with them.

The exceptions: Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing. There are probably more, but I can't think of them.

4. Platformers. I am a FIEND for platformers, I'll have you know. Sadly, in this era of desert shooty times, I've been rather starved. Things have been slowly looking up, but there's not exactly a plethora of options. And no, I'm not counting all of those really hard one-hit kill platformers that slather spikes all over the place, like Super Meat Boy.

The exceptions: Sonic, Rayman, Mario.

Offline TrapZZ

• View Profile
Re: What do you miss from classic gaming?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:41:54 AM »
Cool thread!

What I miss most is being thrown into a game with little instructions, no map, and having to use my head to figure it out.

With current games they throw you in and you get: A Forced tutorial, achievements for every little thing you do, a map or some other form of guidance that takes away from the "where the hell am I" feel.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but all this hand-holding of most modern games drives me crazy.
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »
Quote from: "TrapZZ"
Cool thread!

What I miss most is being thrown into a game with little instructions, no map, and having to use my head to figure it out.

With current games they throw you in and you get: A Forced tutorial, achievements for every little thing you do, a map or some other form of guidance that takes away from the "where the hell am I" feel.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but all this hand-holding of most modern games drives me crazy.

You might enjoy Dark Souls. I could never get into it, but it's an action RPG that's very difficult, very unforgiving, and doesn't give you much real clue on what to do besides the basic controls and mechanics.

Offline TrapZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:10:42 AM »
Neat, thanks for the recommendation.
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

Offline Mire Mare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
Loading screens and the music.  I can remember looking forward to seeing what amazing image the computer could display whilst it was busy loading a game and regularly being impressed with what my c64 could do.

I was going to add loading times as something I missed.  It was sometimes the only time for a few hours I would go and get something to eat and drink.  A bowl of Wotsits and fizzy pop would always go down well :)  But, since. Got a Wii U I've got time to make a brew while some games load.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
Brilliant idea for a thread!

Quote from: "Bobinator"
3. Split screen multiplayer. Playing with your friends is fun, even when it's on a tiny corner of the screen you can barely see. But, alas, if you play it that way, you can't make your friends buy three other copies of the game, so have fun forcing your friends to stay home while you play with them.

Definitely this one right here ^^^^

One of mine:

Scrolling Beat 'em ups - You rarely see this anymore and if you do they never seem to match the magnificence of games like the Streets Of Rage series, Final Fight, Ninja Gaiden or original Double Dragon. Stopping the SOR series was one of the biggest mistakes Sega ever made in my opinion and I am baffled why Capcom have never brought back Final Fight, would make a nice change from the seemingly endless Street Fighter games.

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
One thing sorely lacking today on many systems is a vast selection of decent simple space games.
Yeah, you get one or two but most of them are anything but original.

I also miss the infinite game play...nowadays the games ends and its done. Very little replay value.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 13:28:22 PM »
The relative simplicity of using a joystick with ONE fire button.

Playing the likes of Kick Off 2 and Sensible Soccer on their original platforms meant using a controller with one fire button but, due to intelligent gameplay design, the controls were nuanced meaning that they took time to master.

Nowadays, playing the latest FIFA and PES games seems more like a memory test than an intuitive gameplay experience to me. Having to pause the game to consult the manual in order to find out which button does 'x' or, worse still, which combination of button presses does 'y' does not make for a fun game, imho.

I'm not suggesting that it'd be great if gaming returned to using joysticks with one fire button - I just miss the simplicity of using them when playing a number of games this past decade or so. It's partly for why I took to enjoying gaming on the Wii so immediately back in 2007 - playing the tennis mini-game of Wii Sports (where no buttons at all were required to be used... just like Pong!) felt like a welcome throwback to the days of old when gameplay design was more 'pure', for the want of a better term.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 15:53:59 PM »
I agree with DC, simple controls!  My preference would be for a joystick and TWO buttons.  That's it.  No need to have a PhD on control mechanisms before you can start playing a game. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 17:17:02 PM »
Simplify.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 17:18:08 PM »
Quote from: "tomwaits"
Simplify.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Mire Mare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 17:21:18 PM »
Are simple controls are a thing of the past? Controls have evolved, and become convoluted for some games, but there's an increased intuitive nature that has developed alongside the evolution of gaming. It could be argued that motion controls, are simpler than a joystick with one button.

Splitscreen multiplayer is alive and well in the current generation.

A lot of what we think is 'missing' probably isn't. The volume and variety of games, and hardware on which to play those games, certainly far outweighs my knowledge of the modern gaming picture. The mainstream simply clouds the view.

Offline 64bitRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 17:47:26 PM »
Cartridges

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 17:50:34 PM »
Another one:

High Scores - I know that there are plenty of indie games and downloads out there that still rely on/feature high scores and high score tables but it seems that scores are not as important as they once were. There was a time when all games were about was getting the high score, nowadays a lot of games don't even have scores anymore!

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 17:58:54 PM »
Quote from: "Mire Mare"
A lot of what we think is 'missing' probably isn't. The volume and variety of games, and hardware on which to play those games, certainly far outweighs my knowledge of the modern gaming picture. The mainstream simply clouds the view.

Definitely agree. There are plenty of classic style games on all the modern platforms, they're just not the games that the mainstream audience is playing. You can class them as 'exceptions', but classic style/retro inspired/game-like gaming is the majority of my game libraries on the modern consoles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk