Zippy the Porcupine (Sonic The Hedgehog) - Atari 2600

Started by TrekMD, July 27, 2013, 03:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Ready for another modern game demake?  Here is Zippy the Porcupine (a.k.a. Sonic the Hedgehog) for the Atari 2600!  Made a reality by the same programmer for the excellent Princess Rescue, Atari Age user Sprybug!  The game is still early in development but it looks quite promising.  Here is a video of the game in action...

[align=center:3pjk3hmq]Sonic The Hedgehog Clone for Atari 2600[/align:3pjk3hmq]

I'll try to keep things updated here but the current binary and the original thread can be found here:  Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo.

[align=center:3pjk3hmq][size=80]Posted with permission from Sprybug.[/size][/align:3pjk3hmq]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Very impressive! The guy making these games is obviously very talented!

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Very impressive! The guy making these games is obviously very talented!

That he is!  :)

DreamcastRIP

I'm in awe of the coder's abilty. Considering the hardware limitations and that the video shows only a work-in-progress build of the game what he's achieved is breathtaking. The colours, size and animation of Sonic alone are damn impressive. Seriously impressed.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Would be cooler if he could replicate the chequerboard pattern on the landscape and even the music but still incredibly impressive!!!

Minerals

Looking fantastic so far, really good work done on the spin dash

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Would be cooler if he could replicate the chequerboard pattern on the landscape and even the music but still incredibly impressive!!!

He did replicate the music on Princess Rescue, so he may achieve it here as well.  Give it time as this is still early in the development of the game.  :)

TrekMD

Well, looks like you're getting your wish, Laird.  Here is Sprybug's latest update:

Got word that the 64k upgrade for bB should be out this weekend allowing me to continue my development for Zippy.  Also with this and by my being able to combine two variables into one for the overhead map portion, has freed up one variable that I can now use for MUSIC.  Originally I wasn't going to have a soundtrack playing while you played the game because I knew it would be pretty difficult to make the sonic game soundtrack sound good on the Atari, but once I tried the game over and level finish music it didn't turn out half bad, so I'm willing to give it a shot.  It does feel kind of empty not having music while you play.

TL

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "TrekMD"Got word that the 64k upgrade...

That changes my perception of the game a little, tbh. Learning that the game could be up to 64k in size when most commercial VCS games, afaik, were a tiny fraction of that. Combat was under 2k, iirc!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

That changes my perception of the game a little, tbh. Learning that the game could be up to 64k in size when most commercial VCS games, afaik, were a tiny fraction of that. Combat was under 2k, iirc!

But late commercial releases used bankswitching and some even had 32K, no? 

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

But late commercial releases used bankswitching and some even had 32K, no?

With not being a 2600 owner/enthusiast I have no idea so I'll take your word for it! If so then I've now revised my revised perception!  :21:

TrekMD

TL

Yes, Fatal Run for example was 32k.

I think games like Solaris, Radar Lock, Super Football, Xenophobe and Dark Chambers were pretty close to that too.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Yes, Fatal Run for example was 32k.

I think games like Solaris, Radar Lock, Super Football, Xenophobe and Dark Chambers were pretty close to that too.

Found two articles that list all the 32K and 32K+ games on the 2600.  As you can see from that list, most are homebrews.  The only official game with 32K was Fatal Run. 
Atari 2600 32K Games
Atari 2600 32K+ Games