Atari ST Users

Started by TL, March 06, 2012, 23:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "The Laird"It might have been in the early days but the A500 and A600 were definitely games machines and pretty shite for using as anything else.

Oh Rly  :4:

Dont worry, I'm not into Atari vs Amiga - I like both machines.

I would like a ST at some point I think, I always liked the fact my school had them in its music department (I wont mention the A500 in the Art dept lol)

Good machines, ST and Amiga. :113:

TrekMD

That SillyVenture video is pretty cool!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Lorfarius

I'm putting some serious thought into buying an STE.  Been pining over ebay all week  :P

zapiy

Can't believe i let one slip through my hands early last year for a steal as well.. Never mind.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Lorfarius

I've been looking at the 1040 STE with around 4MB of RAM and TOS 1.6 (I think). They tend to go for around £70 though.

Lorfarius

I'll keep that in mind, keep seeing 4MB pop up but if its pointless will save a few quid!

Greyfox

I thought I mentioned to you about 1mb being enough? Yes as no games took advantage of this extra ram because of the extra cost to customers, so everything settled on 1mb instead, same with the Amiga stuff.

Lorfarius

Loads of game on the Amiga benefit with extra RAM, especially if you go down the HD route.

Lorfarius

So what are some of the best games for the system to hunt down? I quite fancy Manchester United Europe but I doubt its one of the big hitters  :17:

Lorfarius

Yep but need more titles  :P

Nurmix

I got my 520STE (with 4MB) around 1990, and my primary use was for MIDI / electronic music - running Cubase.  But of course, I got into games and other things (like the BBS scene) with the machine.  And while there weren't that many STE-specific games out there, the ones that were available were excellent.

Games like Obsession Pinball Let's Compare: Obsession - Atari STE vs. Amiga 500

...and Stardust Let's Compare: Stardust - Atari STE vs. Amiga 500

...looked and sounded amazing.  The STE's DMA stereo sound was fantastic (I had a massive collection of .MOD music files), and it included the "enhanced" analog joystick ports, so certain games allowed you to use a Jaguar controller.

Later, I moved up to a 14MB Falcon030, running Cubase Audio.  I had the Nemesis accelerator board installed, making the machine a joy to use.  And there were a small number of excellent Falcon-specific games too.

My Falcon eventually died, but I still have my STE.  It's not currently set up, but I think that's going to have to change after talking about it...

Lorfarius

Well I'm in! Outbid on a few auctions today but finally managed to grab a boxed STE with a pile of games, joystick etc for just £45.  Can't wait :)

Greyfox

:36: ahh delighted for considering the 2p killjoy..what STe did you get the 1040 or 520? And what's the games?

Lorfarius

Ah I'm not worried about 2P, I don't know anyone that'll play retro games with me :(

It's a 1040  STE with Outrun, Asterix something called Arcade Force Four and a Soccer game compilation box.

Lorfarius