Dream Console Games

Started by TL, July 26, 2013, 22:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorf

Quote from: "The Laird"Nope. Lynx Turbo Sub is totally unrelated to the arcade game.

Atari Lynx - Turbo Sub

I think the sega game you mean is Sub Roc, no?

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Nope. Lynx Turbo Sub is totally unrelated to the arcade game.

Atari Lynx - Turbo Sub

Seems to have 'borrowed' the plot:

Arcade:Set in future, Earth under attack from invading Aliens, use you sub to destroy them.

Lynx:It's the 28th century, Earth is being invaded by Aliens, use your Sub to destroy them....

Rogue Trooper

Atari Lynx - Turbo Sub

Might want to check out:

www.turbosub.com/turbosub.htm

And look at 7)

Not saying it's a straight conversion, but.....

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"

Atari Lynx - Turbo Sub

Might want to check out:

And look at 7)

They are wrong, watch the video:

Turbo Sub arcade game

Similarities - yes, same game - no

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"

Atari Lynx - Turbo Sub

Might want to check out:

And look at 7)

They are wrong, watch the video:

Turbo Sub arcade game

Similarities - yes, same game - no

That's why i said i'm not saying it's a straight port, (looks like more of a reboot) but i cannot say it's totally unrelated.

Had quick blast on the Lynx ver.this afternoon via emu.now having watched the arcade footage, think i'd prefered the arcade version ported.

Both seem very similar in approach-shoot shit above and below water, but love the arcades speech, plus Lynx version seems little short on variety in foes, but would need to spend more time on it to be sure.

DreamcastRIP

Yeah, while the arcade coin-op was produced by Entertainment Sciences in 1985 and the Lynx game was released by Atari in 1991 I'm not sure they were "totally unrelated" either. In fact a quick Google search turned up several similarities beyond the evidence that's clear to observe from viewing video footage of the two versions,

QuoteTurbo Sub released in 1985 as an arcade shooter game by Entertainment Sciences.[1] Then later in 1991 for the Atari Lynx. The arcade version was a one player game set in the future where you control a submersible ship against a horde of aliens. The Atari Lynx version is the same but can be played with two players and tells us the story is set in the 28th century on Earth
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Sub

QuoteEvery production Turbo Sub I've seen has been in a Star Wars cabinet... The Atari stickers are still inside the cabinets.  I've seen two versions of Turbo Sub cabinets.  The first version uses the Star Wars monitor bezel and just placed a new instruction sticker, also the control panel was the same as the Star Wars with new overlays.

... A home version of this game was released by Atari for their handheld system Lynx
Source: http://www.turbosub.com/turbosub.htm

Standup version of the Turbo Sub arcade coin-op clearly showing the yoke from Atari's Star Wars coin-op -

A partly finished sitdown version of the Turbo Sub arcade coin-op -

Atari's sitdown version of their Star Wars arcade coin-op for comparison purposes -

QuoteTurbo Sub shipped in two different cabinet configurations. One was a cabinet with a slide-out drawer called the "Solo" system designed by San Diego's Pacific Coast Games. Other games were mounted in Atari Star Wars cabinets. Both cabinets used the Star Wars yoke controller.
Source: http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/bouncer-and-turbo-sub.html

So, while the Lynx version of Turbo Sub is not a conversion of the original arcade coin-op it's clear that the history of the two games have certain things in common in addition to the gameplay of both versions being remarkably similar too.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Gorf

Ah...my star wars machine! Except mine plays Empire strikes back as well!

TL

Games I would have loved to have seen on the Atari 7800:

TrekMD

On the 7800, I would have loved to see Crystal Castles and Zaxxon.  Both were done on the 8-bit computer systems and/or the 5200, so they should have been possible on the 7800 (but with POKEY!).  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Arcade games I wish Sega had converted to the Mega Drive:

Rogue Trooper

Shinobi:Revenge Of was by far the better game, so i personally did'nt miss it.

Quartet:Had MS release did'nt it? but recal it doing rounds on C64, so maybe considered too old for conversion?

Enduro Racer:Well, MD hardware would have handled it far better than the MS, so odd it was'nt brought over.

dcultrapro

Gunvalkyrie, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Black And White on the Dreamcast... Oh and the non existent Burning Rangers 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 and Shenmue 3 + 4 lol... not asking much I know   :4:
Ultrapro on xbox live

Gorf

Adventure 3D... for the Jaguar and PC....actually a work in progress....sigh....
Watching that dragon fly around the 3D Atari 2600 Adventure world is great.
Too bad it may never get completed.

EDIT: Sorry folks....thought better of putting up these pics...

TrekMD

I really like how that dragon looks!  Great job! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Gorf

Quote from: "TrekMD"I really like how that dragon looks!  Great job!

You'd like how it actually gracefully flies around the 3D version of the true to the original 2600 kingdom.
IT would have made a smashing Jaguar game. Too bad too many Jaguar fans suck.