Evolution of Retro American Football Games

Started by TrekMD, July 10, 2013, 01:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

OK, let's take a look at American Football games (yes, I know soccer is the real football but those will have a separate thread  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrapZZ

Intellivision Football was awesome because it let you design your own plays with the keypad (it was limited but amazing for its time).

Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

TrekMD

The Intellivision had more than one football title.  As with the 2600, the games evolved with time.  Here are videos of all the titles for...

[align=center:3gqdwwir][size=240]Intellivision[/size][/align:3gqdwwir]

[align=center:3gqdwwir]Football
Gil scores a touchdown.

Super Pro Football
Super Pro Football Intellivision Gameplay

Super NFL Football
Super NFL Football for the Intellivision[/align:3gqdwwir]

TL

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"I changed the thread title :16:
I noticed!  I considered writing it that way but since all the titles just say football, I decided to leave the "American" out of it!  Guess not.   :21:

onthinice

I played a lot of Super Challenge Football on the 2600. Probably my favorite till Tecmo Bowl came along.

Alberto 2K

I've always been attracted to american football and ice hockey, I remember playing a lot Joe Montana Sports Talk Football 93, I still have the game:

TGPG Lets Play NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana.MOD

Despite its simplicity Blitz! for the Vectrex is a really fun game, specially playing with someone:

Vectrex: Blitz

Now I'm eagerly waiting the 3DO to arrive to play Madden there, it looks fantastic:

Madden on the 3DO game system
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

TrekMD

Nice set of football games there, Alberto.   Here is Football for the...

[align=center:ijflsk1x][size=180]Odyssey 2![/size][/align:ijflsk1x]

[align=center:ijflsk1x]Magnavox Odyssey 2: Football! [Magnavox][/align:ijflsk1x]

TL

[align=center:vw6cjddo][size=240]Sinclair ZX Spectrum[/size]

American Football - By Argus Press

Fantastic American Football - By Zeppelin

Grid Iron- By Softstone

Head Coach - By Addictive Games

End Zone - By Alternative Software

Grid Iron II - By Alternative Software[/align:vw6cjddo]

TrekMD

[align=center:huah891d][size=240]Atari 5200[/size]

RealSports Football
Atari 5200 Review (49) RealSports Football

[size=240]Atari 7800 [/size]

Touchdown Football
Atari 7800 Touchdown Football[/align:huah891d]

I thought it was interesting to see Atari use the name Touchdown Football for the 7800 game instead of RealSports Football, particularly given the release of RealSports Baseball for they system.

TL

That is because Touchdown Football is by Electronic Arts and not Atari!!! :3:

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"That is because Touchdown Football is by Electronic Arts and not Atari!!! :17:

onthinice

I never knew. Very interesting.

I used to drool over the Madden 3DO pictures in magazines. I always remember it getting good reviews.

Always heard that Madden on the Sega Saturn is really good as well. I have Madden 98 for the Saturn but have never played it. My favorite of the series has to be Madden '94.

Joe Montana was the best till one of my friends found a way to onside kick all the time. Then it became less fun. That prick, will probably carry the secret to his grave. :32:

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "onthinice"That was the first one in the series and we played Joe Montana II a few times, till we found Madden. Then we never played any of the other American football games. I still secretly played Tecmo Bowl on the Nes. :21:
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

TrekMD

Quote from: "Alberto 2K"
Quote from: "onthinice"That was the first one in the series and we played Joe Montana II a few times, till we found Madden. Then we never played any of the other American football games. I still secretly played Tecmo Bowl on the Nes. :21:

:21: