Making of Styx
Making of The Lost Vikings
FTA: Naughty Dog
Story of Breakout

And much much more![/size][/align:6k11ytx3]

DreamcastRIP

"Forgotten Masterpiece"
"The unloved 8-bit underdog that's a collector's dream"

How much more wrong could that wording of the front cover be? Ignorant pish and thank god I cancelled my subscription so I didn't end up paying for such nonsense. I already see from the comments elsewhere that I'm far from being the only one to be rolling my eyes at this.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

tomwaits

Looking forward to the articles on Capcom, Space Invaders, and Breakout at least...

zapiy

Great read so far, really enjoying it.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP""Forgotten Masterpiece"
"The unloved 8-bit underdog that's a collector's dream"

How much more wrong could that wording of the front cover be? Ignorant pish and thank god I cancelled my subscription so I didn't end up paying for such nonsense. I already see from the comments elsewhere that I'm far from being the only one to be rolling my eyes at this.

I could'nt believe what i was reading from the editor, defending this piece.you know what saddens me the most, i honest to god really used to love the arrival of new copy of RG magazine, i'd read it as soon as i could and learn things on games i thought i knew inside out and those i knew nothing of.

Now i've always at least 3 months previous issues sat unread by time another gets delivered, articles contain so many basic factual errors, it feels like a professionally written fanzine and if it were'nt for articles by likes of JD, Laird etc, i'd cancelled my sub months ago.

But even pieces by my faw staff writers is now not enough i fear to justify such a poorly researched and written magazine.Whist i'm glad they've finally come out and admited they don't see UK as key player in grand scheme, bigger part of me feels saddened to read such a thing by a UK publication.

At this moment in time, i can see my subscription being cancelled before it hits issue 120, it's just not the magazine i once knew and clearly needs taking back to drawing board and a new change at the helm. time for fresh blood and fresh ideas.

zapiy

Guys can you explain to me what the issue with those words are? I must be out if the loop?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "zapiy"Guys can you explain to me what the issue with those words are? I must be out if the loop?

My 2 pence worth as a long time subscriber:

So a lot of folk in USA/Japan bought a NES over it, yet in Europe it was the other way around, ergo, it's now declared 'Unloved'? Bollox! lot of people bought C64/Speccy over Atari 8 Bit or MSX, yet to people who did buy those and have cherished memories, would they describe them as unloved?.

PC Engine never arrived here, must have been deemed unworthy of release, no love, right? no......

Ed's comment on his forum about grand scheme of things, Uk basically did'nt matter in NES era, so how come likes of Rare, Codemasters etc produced some of Nes's best games? UK Musicians coaxed best music from it? how come Nintendo had several cracks at UK market, if we did'nt matter why release it at all over here?.

It's the 'We are RG, we know best, we know UK history stance' that grips me, it's clear magazine is just stumbling along, one month it's all about the UK scene, next month, bah, who cares about UK scene? we're talking Global players baby!'

Is it a collectors dream? whilst it's 8 Bit versions of things like terminator, Prince Of Persia etc often punched way above MD versions on cart (Terminator) and CD (P.O.P) and it did play host to some stunning games:Master Of Darkness, R-Type, Galaxy force etc etc, a lot of Sega's own coin-op conversions were dissapointing or you can find better versions on MD.

The 'wording' is just tip of the iceberg, it's the attitude coming from RG these past few months, now if the articles in there were as good as those featured in Edge's heyday with it's superb Making Of...features, then i could understand it, but i read factually laughable pieces on Mode 7, MCD, C64 Starwars to name but a few, that people i want to see interviewed (and have been in other publications and fanzines even) refuse to speak to RG...

Simply put, it's not the magazine i once knew, it's not delivering and paying up front in the hope that just this month there'll be an article by a trusted writer i know i'll enjoy, just is'nt enough to justify a subscription.

I live in middle of nowhere, so getting a copy when there is a piece i want to read is a nightmare, but at moment i'm subscribing out of habbit, that's not great VFM is it?.

Edge has gone same way, gone are the superb features and articles that justified my subscription, now it's all about the global development village, boring as a bag of hammers.

Rogue Trooper

Will be interesting to see how the issues feature on the Ms compares to Gamestm's 'Classic Machine' look at the MS from 2004, which i thought was very well written.

Pointed out the machines technical superiority over the NES and how by launching earlier, NES had the head start and by binding developers to clauses that meant they were'nt allowed to produce versions of their games for anything but the NES, few developers could afford to comprimise the realationship by working with SEGA also.

Best quote:

'Despite the many hurdles that the under-supported Master System had to overcome, it introduced many youngsters to the world of video games.and even though SEGA's console never reached it's full potential, the industry tends to look back favorably on the system and it's games'.

Unloved inded...pffff

In the 6 of the best feature:

'The MS may have been overshadowed by the NES, But SEGA's stylish machine had plenty of great games to rival the top-selling titles on the all-conquering grey box..'

See EDGE? that's how you write an unbiased piece.

TL

I read the article, Adam managed to not make any factual errors, that I noticed anyway, but it's very lacking in substance. Pretty much says something and nothing at the same time, bit of a missed opportunity really.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"I read the article, Adam managed to not make any factual errors, that I noticed anyway, but it's very lacking in substance. Pretty much says something and nothing at the same time, bit of a missed opportunity really.

:-) Pretty much RG: magazine 2012 onwards then.

jdanddiet

I had a thought today. It didn't hurt. That much.

The Intellivision is 35 years old next year. So how about another lookback to this marvellous (if slightly shite controller...) machine.

So I looked back to see if the mag had covered the machine before, and they had, in issue 54. So I looked in my file and read the article and was a little bit taken aback by it.

Now, no offence to the guy who wrote this, but it really struck me as fanzine-type material, and my first thought was - no worries - I can do miles better than this. So harking back to the "old days" is a bit disingenuous imo. The odd mistake may creep in but let's face it, retro gamers can be a little bit, err, knowledgeable  :105:

zapiy

Nice one, i look forward to seeing more on this then.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "jdanddiet"Now, no offence to the guy who wrote this, but it really struck me as fanzine-type material

Surely not!  :24:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

jdanddiet

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Quote from: "jdanddiet"Now, no offence to the guy who wrote this, but it really struck me as fanzine-type material

Well what I was actually trying to demonstrate is that I think the mag has improved a lot over the last few years.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "jdanddiet"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Well what I was actually trying to demonstrate is that I think the mag has improved a lot over the last few years.

Fair enough. Some of us are of the opinion that the mag' has worsened considerably and run out of steam over the last couple of years. Each to their own and all that.