The Atari XEGS

Started by TL, June 06, 2013, 20:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryptic33

There are a couple I hadn't seen before though my favourites were Star Raiders II and Rescue on Fractalus. Nice  :113:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

zapiy

Great looking system, yet another on the wanted list.. Sadly these seem to fetch more than i am currently willing to spend.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

A couple of the XEGS prototypes that were discovered a few years ago: Commando & Xenophobe

https://youtu.be/oj6HzcaePaw

https://youtu.be/fWSiZAmfH08

TrekMD

Both look pretty good!  The music in Commando does seem to be a bit slow, though.  The tempo is off from what I'm used to hearing.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "TrekMD"Both look pretty good!  The music in Commando does seem to be a bit slow, though.  The tempo is off from what I'm used to hearing.

Precisely what I was about to post!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Both look pretty good!  The music in Commando does seem to be a bit slow, though.  The tempo is off from what I'm used to hearing.

Probably because its on a PAL machine or emulator

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"

Probably because its on a PAL machine or emulator

I didn't realize the change to PAL could also affect the sound.  I always thought it was limited to video.

TL

Yes, it can make music sound slower if it hasn't been optimised specifically for PAL.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Yes, it can make music sound slower if it hasn't been optimised specifically for PAL.

Interesting!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "The Laird"Yes, it can make music sound slower if it hasn't been optimised specifically for PAL.

Interesting!

This because they often just slow down all the timers for 50hz

Gorf

Quote from: "TrekMD"Very cool!  I've always been curious about this system.  I like the look of it.  :78:

Gorf

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Not a large libary of games, though they are known titles for the most part and good games to boot!

The XEGS can play all standard Atari 8-bit cartridge games though too, or even disk and tape games if you connect a drive to it.

This is list is just for the specific XEGS branded games.

I bet it can't play Gorf.

Gorf

Quote from: "TrekMD"

Interesting!

That is because NTSC is 60 cycles per second. So the interrupt is usually based of this for
the music timer. So at the PAL 50 cycles it would be slower as it clicks ten time less per second.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Gorf"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Very cool!  I've always been curious about this system.  I like the look of it.  :78:

That's right, you had said you had this.

TrekMD

That's a lot of reviews!  Nice!