NEC SuperGrafx

Started by TL, June 06, 2013, 20:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:3q8yrpzz][/align:3q8yrpzz]

The SuperGrafx (スーパーグラフィックス?) is a video game console by NEC. It is an upgraded version of the PC Engine (known as the TurboGrafx in North America and Europe), released exclusively in Japan, primarily in response to the Super Famicom (Super Nintendo Entertainment System outside of Japan) from Nintendo.
Originally announced as the PC Engine 2, the machine was purported to be a true 16-bit system with improved graphics and audio capabilities over the original PC Engine. Expected to be released in 1990, the SuperGrafx was rushed to market, debuting several months earlier in late 1989 with only modest improvements over the original PC Engine.

Only seven games were produced which took advantage of the improved SuperGrafx hardware and two of those could be played on a regular PC Engine too. However the SuperGrafx is backwards compatible with all PC Engine and PC Engine CD-ROM² games bringing the compatible software total up to nearly 700 games. The system was not widely adopted and is largely seen as a commercial failure.

Compared to the PC Engine, the SuperGrafx has four times the amount of working RAM for the main CPU and a second video chip with its own video RAM. Also included is a priority controller chip, which allows the output of both video chips to be combined in various ways[citation needed]. The SuperGrafx has support for two independently scrolling background layers, like the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, as opposed to the PC Engine's single layer. It is very common misconception that the extra video hardware and capabilities were taxing on the system's CPU, and is often cited as the main reason few games were developed for the system. In reality, despite having the same CPU as the PC Engine, the SuperGrafx is more than capable of keeping up with the new graphic enhancements, as the majority of the workload is handled by the VDPs.

One accessory of note was the "Power Console", designed to add a full flight yoke, throttle and keypad to the SuperGrafx, sliding over the entire console. Besides a prototype, no Power Consoles were ever produced.
There were no CD-ROM², Super CD-ROM², or Arcade CD-ROM² games written that took advantage of the SuperGrafx platform. Game software was also very expensive, in some cases approaching as much as $110 USD at retail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergrafx

AmigaJay

Yeah a disappointing follow up to the PC Engine, I think killed NEC as console makers as much as the awful PC-FX!
Only 5 games released, and the best one can be played elsewhere, nothing worth buying one for...
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

DreamcastRIP

One for the collectors and/or PC Engine hardcore only I think.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Can't say that I like the look of that console.  Too bad they didn't really make it "super" with its internals to warrant the SuperGrafx name.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

I wish they had released it outside of Japan.

TL

Article on the console from The Games Machine:

onthinice

Thanks! Some great info! On the other page did they get a shot of the floor of Doug's garage? :4:

TL

DreamcastRIP

Thanks for linking that video, Laird. Since reading numerous comments in the gaming press over the years I've always laboured under the impression that the SuperGrafx conversion of Daimakaimura/Ghouls'n Ghosts was all but arcade perfect. So it came as quite a surprise to see the disparity between it and the arcade coin-op. While the graphics generally look a decent match the sound was sorely lacking in comparison.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Thanks for linking that video, Laird. Since reading numerous comments in the gaming press over the years I've always laboured under the impression that the SuperGrafx conversion of Daimakaimura/Ghouls'n Ghosts was all but arcade perfect. So it came as quite a surprise to see the disparity between it and the arcade coin-op. While the graphics generally look a decent match the sound was sorely lacking in comparison.

You might appreciate this video then:

J2Games Comparison: Ghouls n' Ghosts Genesis vs SuperGrafx

zapiy

I would love to pick one of these up one day.. Not the best looking system ever but i do think it has a wow factor about it.. Well for me anyway lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DreamcastRIP

Superb comparison video there. Cheers.

TL

A couple of videos of games for you:

First up is a game that is also known as Magic King Granzort

Madou Ou Granzort [魔動王グランゾート] Game Sample -- SuperGrafx

And here is the horizontally scrolling shooter Aldynes

Aldynes - for NEC SuperGrafx - 1991

TrekMD

Both of those games look pretty cool.  Interesting that in Magic King Granzort the player moves from right to left (most of these types of games are left to right).  May be a cultural thing since this is a Japanese title for the Japanese market.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DreamcastRIP

Aldynes in some ways reminded me a little of...

:o