Underappreciated Atari Lynx games.

Started by zapiy, May 30, 2013, 19:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Continuing on our themed threads discussing underappreciated games.. Its now the Atari Lynx turn, this handheld has many fine games but i still think some get little appreciation.. Here are some of what i think.

Pinball Jam:

Some see it as a simple Pinball game and i guess it is, but it's colorful, sound is great, and the replay value is high.

Gates of Zendocon:

This is a great little side scrolling shooter, it has great graphics and sound..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I mentioned this in another thread recently but it has to be Awesome Golf!

Easily one of the best games on the Lynx, this game really doesn't get enough love - you never hear it mentioned when people talk about the system's best games.  :(

zapiy

Great call fella, sadly i don't have this game but one i will look for.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I've always loved to play Pinball Jam on the Lynx and Gates of Zendocon is definitely another one I really like.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Arethius_RGC

For a time awesome golf was the ony game I had on Lynx with robosquash.

I love Robosquash too.

DreamcastRIP

Pinball Jam - this never really impressed me tbh so not underappreciated imho.

Gates of Zendocon - adored this game back in the day for a whole host of reasons & it does seem underappreciated by many retro gamers today seemingly because it's not Gradius/R-Type or a bullet hell shmup... or to put that another way, Japanese.

Awesome Golf
- a cracking effort back in the day that went wild in showcasing the console's graphics trickery, still holds up reasonably well today all things considered, probably more 'forgotten' or 'unknown' than underappreciated, imho. A fun retro arcade-style golf game alternative to Neo Turf Masters for the AES/MVS
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

64bitRuss

I like Pinball Jam also, but the color scheme can make it difficult to track the ball.

I personally feel that Ninja Gaiden III gets a bad rep for no really good reasons. It plays just like the NES game. If I have a complaint, it's definitely the color palette, everything is washed in brown. I think it's a fun platformer for the Lynx, and quite difficult too. I remember the NES games being very difficult also.

TL

Count me as one of the Ninja Gaiden III haters, my biggest problem with it is that it is exactly the same as the NES game!

zapiy

Ninja Gaiden was a game i never got along with...

So far we all seem to agree on..

Gates of Zendocon
Pinball Jam
Awesome Golf..

Anymore?

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "zapiy"So far we all seem to agree on..

Gates of Zendocon
Pinball Jam
Awesome Golf..

You must have missed my comment about Pinball Jam then!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

zapiy

How about Scrapyard Dog?

Scrapyard Dog begins in Louie's junkyard. Mr. Big's henchmen have invaded his home turf, and Louie has to evade / kill them in order to advance to the next level. Louie also has to avoid hazards such as birds (and their droppings), junkyard rats, and tar pits. Fortunately, Louie can kill enemies by throwing cans at them or by buying weapons with which they can be killed.

TrekMD

I've always liked Scarpyard Dog for the Lynx!  I think it's a fun game!

zapiy

Me too mate, i only ever managed to complete a few of the worlds..

TrekMD

Quote from: "zapiy"Me too mate, i only ever managed to complete a few of the worlds..

There are some warps that let you jump ahead.  :)

zapiy

Here is another

Steel Talons

Great little game, basic but fun.. Control a helicopter and shoot the hell out of tanks and stuff lol.